Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting to live with cats

Options
  • 05-11-2009 12:47pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Mrs asked me to post this up (wish she'd get her own boards.ie a/c :) ),

Anyway we're looking at getting two cats and she wanted to know what would people think is the average weekly expense for having two cats.

This would include food, litter tray stuff (I've no idea what you call it), they'd be kittens starting off so what stuff are we likely to need getting started as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Starting off:
    Litter tray: €5-10
    Cat litter: <€5/wk depending on brand
    Food: again depending on brand ~€5/wk for kitten
    Vaccinations/wormers etc: €150-200 for both kittens at vets
    Collar and tag:€5-10
    Microchip:not sure of price

Thats pretty much all you need at the start,unless you also include beds,toys etc After that id budget for future vet/health bills as they'll require annual boosters. Or id highly recommend getting pet insurance. Vets can be really expensive.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sure don't I know, just not sure about cats.....I've only ever had dogs growing up
    Thanks for the info...much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chiaki

http://chiaki.wetpaint.com/page/Cat+Kittens
    quick run down of kitten care! As a cat owner, they arent really expensive and paper bags are usually their favourite choice of toy so that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

You'll probably want to think about getting the neutered / spade as well which can cost a couple of quid

We ended up getting pet insurance as well .. which I'm not positive about the cost of as ze missus got that ..

(grew up around dogs ... hated cats ... now I post too many pics of my cat on the forums) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Tilly Tally

How much the kittens cost really will depend on how much you want to spend on the them! I started with a strict budget for my two but you always end up buying them treats and presents. As regards neutering, my "angels" were done this week and cost €130 - but I'm guessing its cheaper than rearing endless litters of kittens!! Also I'd advise investing in a scratching post or climbing frame cos they will want something to play with and its cheaper than your furniture. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

you might want to get a water spray gun as well to stop them doing things you don't want them to

Squirt them with the water when they go to do something bad ... and they'll soon stop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Cabaal - definitely, absolutely buy a scratching post - but it beside the couch, and encourage them to use it. It'll save your furniture. (You have to put it in a popular gathering area, you can't stick it out in the bathroom and hope they'll use it.)

Advertisement