Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most annoying theist lines of argument?

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Malty_T wrote: »
    Is there any good theistic argument??

Well, there just has to be a god, like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Is there any good theistic argument??

If there was, I'd be a theist ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

scanlas wrote: »
    Well I disagree, I have rationally decided that I don't believe a God exists by looking at evidence.

I meant that anybody who looks at the decision of whether or not to believe in God rationally will end up not believing. Theist belief is based on faith, not evidence.

We've covered most things thesits ever say so does anyone with too much time on their hands want to go through the thread and compile a list of them that we can link to whenever they're used :pac:

That would be you, Sam.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    We've covered most things thesits ever say so does anyone with too much time on their hands want to go through the thread and compile a list of them that we can link to whenever they're used :pac:

Were one to be that obnoxious in what is meant to be a frank and reasonable discussion, I don't think anyone would wish to participate! :)

Jakkass wrote: »
    Were one to be that obnoxious in what is meant to be a frank and reasonable discussion, I don't think anyone would wish to participate! :)

The whole point of this thread is the arguments listed herein are neither frank nor reasonable ;)

Although I do realise that if whenever these arguments were put forward we just pointed to the list instead of explaining why they're wrong for the millionth time, the theists would have very little left to say :pac:

That would be you, Sam.

;)

I resent that :mad:

I'm just really really efficient :pac:

I'm just really really efficient :pac:

No better man for the job then!

• Advertisement

No better man for the job then!

But....ummmm....ummmm...crap :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The whole point of this thread is the arguments listed herein are neither frank nor reasonable ;)

Although I do realise that if whenever these arguments were put forward we just pointed to the list instead of explaining why they're wrong for the millionth time, the theists would have very little left to say :pac:

I'm so tempted to do this. A sticky with all the common arguments for God and a brief explanation why they are fallacies would be awesome.

Although I can see it stifling debate a lot. "Aha! Fallacy number 14, please see the list. Close thread".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

does anyone with too much time on their hands want to go through the thread and compile a list of them that we can link to whenever they're used
    Here are two useful lists of theistic arguments. One comes with verbose refutations. The other leaves them as exercises for the reader.

http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/goldstein09/goldstein09_index.html

http://www.godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/GodProof.htm

...and here's one list of (exhausting) disproofs:

http://godisimaginary.com/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hey you! Stop trying to put us out of a job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.
    ARGUMENT FROM INTERNET AUTHORITY
    (1) There is a website that successfully argues for the existence of God.
    (2) Here is the URL.
    (3) Therefore, God exists.
    ARGUMENT FROM MANIFESTATIONS
    (1) If you turn your head sideways and squint a little, you can see an image of a bearded face in that tortilla.
    ARGUMENT FROM META-SMUGNESS
    (1) Fuck you.

:D

Plenty more where those came from, too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

JimiTime wrote: »
    Some of you really need to get your heads out of each others @rses.

Cant find god anywhere else, so might as well have a look up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

This one has to be posted here, it just has..

From a debate between 2 users on Youtube:

"You're saying humans are descended from apes, by your logic then all apes are human"

*Facepalm*
    *Way too many fails*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Though I hate having religious discussions with people I always hate the term "God's plan" when referring to the misery of others.

Africa is where you are reincarnated when you've been bad in a past life :confused: That's just evil.

Wow, that's one I've never heard before and it's quite bizarre.

Grr, those Christians!

*shakes fist at Christianity forum*

• Advertisement

Strawmanning what atheism actually is.
    *Cough* Jakkass *Cough*

*Cough* Jakkass *Cough*

"what you've basically just said to me, to all the atheists on youtube is 'here's what I say you believe, now defend it!' and I think I speak for a lot of us when I give you a big hearty fcuk off". Brilliant :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Has anyone here encountered David Mabus aka Dennis Marzuke? As annoying lines of theist argument go, this guy may just be a gold medal winner. He's recently taken to spamming a couple of science forums I mod for and a Google search reveals he posts the same stuff to literally hundreds of message boards every day.

He even seems to be a touch too crazy for David Icke's followers:

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1058562140

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

*Cough* Jakkass *Cough*

People define atheism differently all the time. Others distinguish between atheism and agnosticism, others don't. Others claim that they don't believe in God, others don't. Some say they regard God as being merely unlikely. Others don't. Some claim atheism can be argued positively (as in philosophy) others don't. It's a big ol' contradictory void. I.E Ye need to get your house in order :pac:

You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Personally I like Veritas48 a lot :)

People define atheism differently all the time. Others distinguish between atheism and agnosticism, others don't. Others claim that they don't believe in God, others don't. Some say they regard God as being merely unlikely. Others don't. Some claim atheism can be argued positively (as in philosophy) others don't. It's a big ol' contradictory void. I.E Ye need to get your house in order :pac:

You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Personally I like Veritas48 a lot :)

Some claim that atheists are those that believe god does not exist and expect them to defend it as such but those who define it that way are pretty much exclusively theists

Must we have this argument again? The last time even the one example you gave for a "positive" argument for atheism, the problem of evil, was itself an argument against christianity, the very thing that you were chastising me for. The ideas of god being all good and intervening in the world to ensure good things happen are both christian ideas

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

He even seems to be a touch too crazy for David Icke's followers:
    Sweet Jebus I read most of that thread and now I have to wash. *shudder*

Had a quick read about David Icke, too.
    Wiki wrote:
    What followed became what Icke calls his "turquoise period." He began to wear only turquoise because, he explained, it is a conduit of positive energy
    Faith in humanity... dwindling...

Personally I like Veritas48 a lot :)
    I look at this wayward chap and I can't help but think of Robin William's line from Good Morning, Vietnam:
    You are in more dire need of a blowjob than any white man in history.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I may be heading a fraction of a degree off topic, or more than a fraction so if so I apologise in advance.
    But for every theist or athiest who can put forward a well constructed arguemant for thier beliefs or lack of, there are numerous regular Joe soap Irish Catholics who have never given a moments thought to their beliefs or the deeds they do because of their beliefs. I often put forward that Irish Catholicism is as much a habit or socially engrained way of behaving as it is a religion. I have had more badly made arguements for 'going with the flow' made toward me as I have for belief or not in God.
    In my life, amongst other things, I have been married in a registry office, not had my child baptised, defected via "Countmeout.ie, made it clear through my will and to my predominately Catholic family that I want to be cremated in a non religous manner. Very few of my catholic peers have been botherd by any of this on religious grounds or for concern for my immortal soul. Its the effect my choices may have on my and my families social standing that seems to worry them more.
    So how many of you have heard the following:
    "Sure its what you do"
    "Sure you have to believe in something'
    "What about if you have kids. they'll be different at school" (I loath that one)
    "Ah I dont really believe it but its the done thing" (In relation to Church weddings, First Communion etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

How about:

"You really do believe in god but have been led by the devil to deny his existence"

That one was used on me in the christianity forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Bduffman wrote: »
    How about:

"You really do believe in god but have been led by the devil to deny his existence"

That one was used on me in the christianity forum.

J C or wolfsbane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

J C or wolfsbane?

I can't remember exactly who it was (it was just before I was banned for a month) but I'm sure you're not far wrong.

I believe I was also called 'evil' for denying god by the same person. Still, its good to know where I stand - its important to know who you're working for.:D

Sounds like Wolfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

I'm not a fan of "The resurrection of Jesus can be shown to have happened from historical documents".

That or C. S. Lewis' Trilemma really gets my goat also but I suppose they are similar/related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

iUseVi wrote: »
    C. S. Lewis' Trilemma really gets my goat

This.

Worst. Argument. Ever.

Advertisement