Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter from chief super

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Darr

Perhaps it would be better to prune this rather unsavory thread , it makes for bad reading and certainly does nothing for the image of shooters of ANY class .

I don’t know if it’s possible but the comments that started all this and the following ones are not something I would miss .

Darr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

it has gone a bit of a stray alright back to the op subject letter from chief as of yet i havnt heard a word about my 9mm pistol have got 2 letters of payment for shotgun/.308 still waiting for 223/243/9mm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I agree the thread has gone way off topic but i make no apology for defending slanderous accusations against my sport.

That said back to the OP.

Medicman, tell your friend to lodge an appeal. If they see he is serious and will not fall at the first hurdle they may be more willing to bend. I know the letter he got is a refusal and not a "not satisfactory letter" so appealing to the Chief Super may be a waste of time as in his mind the decision is made and the matter closed.

Seek help from his NGBs.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

ezridax wrote: »
    I agree the thread has gone way off topic but i make no apology for defending slanderous accusations against my sport.

That said back to the OP.

Medicman, tell your friend to lodge an appeal. If they see he is serious and will not fall at the first hurdle they may be more willing to bend. I know the letter he got is a refusal and not a "not satisfactory letter" so appealing to the Chief Super may be a waste of time as in his mind the decision is made and the matter closed.

Seek help from his NGBs.

would it not be worth just talking to the chief super , at least if it does go to court he can always say he tried to reason with him and met a brickwall , it may be in his favour .

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

No, in his mind the refusal is issued and he hopes there will be no more about it and the matter is closed. (Done deal - nice and simple).

A refusal can be 'revisited' if you can convince the CS that he may not have understood fully or really appreciated your requirement ! More information from you to him might be all that is needed for another consideration.

If you can't convince him then it will stay refused and then it's time to call Rumple of the Bailey if you want to go down that route.

• Advertisement

By all means go see the Chief Super. I'm guessing here, but if the CS has sent him a copy its likely he has lodged a copy with his application and if it hasn't already been logged on the system as failed it will be. (Does anyone know if they log failed applications?)

Talking to the CS would definitely be the first option but as i said it seems to be a dead end. Besides no harm to have all his ducks in a row. Get your case lined up and ready to go, see the CS in the mean time an if that fails then start the appeal. Just mind the time limit. Don't let it lapse. Be a bad way to loos the gun, forgetting to lodge your appeal on time.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

pedroeibar wrote: »
    Grizzly 45 wrote: »

That's a bit too inaccurate to be just a sweeping statement, G45. The shotgun was originally a fowling piece, grew through various guises for centuries and the cartridge had "birdshot." AFAIK it was not until 1914-18 that it became a military weapon for trench clearance. Even later, Greener had a singleshot 12g specifically made for colonial police use (Egypt, I think, were the initiators of the first orders.)
    P.

Not to mind that it was used in the Clonial wars against the Red Coats and the Injuns??
    Errrr,misssing out entirely the Wild West era.Wyatt Earpp and DocHolliday at the OK Corral?
    Numerous incidents of "coach guns" used by Wells Farrago & C??Too numerous gunfights settled with a sawn off shotgun.[Despite the Hollywood myth of a stand off on High Noon in Main street.] The Union and Confederncy using DBBLs with their mounted troops in the war of Northern Aggression?? The entire Texas and Arizona Rangers used them up to the introduction of lever and pump action shotguns.Some of the old school still carry them.As do somtimes the FBI,DEA and various PDs for stakeout work..In the West the load was "Punkin Balls" and shot.Usually a round ball and 000 shot ,not bird.Going by historical accounts.
    So to say the DBBL isnt a historically military or LEO "tactical" weapon is a serious misnomer.
    Good ref on this Thomas Swerengen book "The Worlds fighting shotguns"
    BTW it was apprently the RIC that got the Greener first,with an odd caliber to prevent the "rebellious Irish" from using it if it fell into our ancestors hands.It was a much praised gun here apprently.Ideal for "breaking down cottage doors and Irish heads"

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

well if it has been refused and the cs is of a mind that the matter is closed and won't meet or discuss it, i don't see what option anyone has but to take it to court .

It would seem so rowa, but honestly i hope i'm wrong. The Super in my area is actually a sound lad. Very approachable. I'm hoping when it comes around to me (if the news is bad) my CS is as approachable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭xesse

the sport had about 4 years to grow and for 3.5 of those years i,ve seen the same 30-35 heads at every bullseye competition,
    out of approx 1000 pistol owners:eek::eek::eek:
    you cant blame d ahern for that
    it wasn't giving a chance to grow it was used for political gain by Dermot ahern Fianna fail and the commissioner on their failings to tackle crime and I bet you will see them in the papers with a big pile of sporting firearms that where revoked as a smokescreen implying to Joe soaps the streets are safer now
    but who are they fooling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

How about IPSC?How about lads just punching paper on ranges?Not intrested in joining comps?
    In the 3.5 years of the "growing sport" I was waiting 2.5 YEARS for my liscense to be issued!!!!:mad: I thought I was the longest,until I met a lad at the 1st and last IPSC E/AGM who had been waiting THREE years,and hadnt had ANY chance at a saftey course or competitions... So if us two were waiting that long...There were surely others in the same boat,who either gave up or were failures to issue post Nov 08....
    It isnt a very cut and dried situation that we were all liscensed within 31days and went off shooting ..or not... There can be plenty of other contributing factors to why all 1000 people were not all at the ranges every given Sat.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Okay, I think we've gone irretrievably off the rails here, despite earlier hopes we'd recover. Closing the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement