Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea -v- Man United Match Thread [Mod Warning Post #1]

• 05-11-2009 12:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Chelsea_crest%255B1%255D.gif-V-632px-Manchester_United_Football_Clubin_logo.svg.png

Sunday 8th Nov. Stamford Bridge KO 16.00

Top of the table clash and a chance for Chelsea to go 5 points clear of United. I am starting this thread too early probably but I'm going to click Submit new thread anyway.

I predict 2-0 Chelsea.

MOD WARNING:

Keep all posts on-topic for the match today, there are other threads for the wider discussions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Based on what i've seen from both clubs so far this season i'm expecting a Chelsea win, but i was also expecting Man Utd to beat Liverpool and that didn't happen.

Whatever way it goes, I'm expecting a big game from Drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Draw Please :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

Chelsea will win this one. Drogba to cause United's central defence all sorts of problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Only 76 hrs to kick off and no sign off teams yet :eek:
    I'll take a score draw right now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Only 76 hrs to kick off and no sign off teams yet :eek:
    I'll take a score draw right now.
    Would you take 0-0? :)

CHD wrote: »
    Would you take 0-0? :)

Deal ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Chelsea - 3
    Drogba 32" + 44"
    Anelka 82"

Man United - 1
    Rooney 61"(pen)
    Scholes s/o 87"

........Or something to that effect

Was waiting for you to predict Scholes getting sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

A draw would do very nicely here. My team...

VDS
    O'Shea---Ferdinand
    Vidic
    Evra
    Fletcher---Anderson---Giggs
    Valencia
    Rooney
    Berbatov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's a bigger game for United. Chelsea have step the tempo this year. United haven't been at their best. Ferdinand is out which is a big loss. Fletcher being back though is huge.

If we lose this, we go 5 points behind. Huge huge game.

I expect

VDS
    --O'Shea
    Evans
    Vidic
    Evra---
    --Valencia--Anderson--Fletcher--Nani----
    Berbatov---Rooney

Although the Nani position is up for grabs. Could easily see us putting Carrick in there and putting Rooney on the left.

eddiehead wrote: »
    Chelsea - 3
    Drogba 32" + 44"
    Anelka 82"

Man United - 1
    Rooney 61"(pen)
    Scholes s/o 87"

........Or something to that effect

That only 87 mins
    The rest of normal time does like this

Giggs 93 min
    Owen 96 min :D:D

FINISH 3-3 More well spend brown envelopes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Expect Chelsea to win this if both teams form is anything to go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    That only 87 mins
    The rest of normal time does like this

Giggs 93 min
    Owen 96 min :D:D

FINISH 3-3 More well spend brown envelopes :D

6pm Ancelotti sacked

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Really really really want a big man u win but am thinking it will be a draw, chelsea winning 2 1 and owen scoring a late equaliser in 90+ mins

I expect

Cech
    Ivanovic---Terry--Carvalho---Cole
    Essien
    Ballack
    Lampard
    Cole

Drogba
    Anelka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Go'wan draw or draw ftw ;)

Headshot wrote: »
    Go'wan draw or draw ftw ;)
    Your doing it wrong, watch...

G'wan the draw!

CHD wrote: »
    G'wan the draw!

we bought agree then a draw is what we want, no need for the game to go ahead now

thread closed

we bought agree then a draw is what we want, no need for the game to go ahead now

thread closed
    Yeah, actually I'm going to pretend to hope for a draw then Sunday should be sweeter :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Going on form we should win, but these games dont go on form. I have a feeling it will be a draw 1-1. But if we score early I'll say 2-0 Chelsea with Snoop Drog getting both. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I reckon Chelsea should win this handily enough

2-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

2-0 to Chelsea, not convinced at all by United this season at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Chelsea are clear favourites for this imo.

Would be delighted with a deserved draw on Sunday.

I reckon it will be a 451 formation, with question marks over whether Berbatov, Carrick or Giggs play (Rooney out wide, or through the middle)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Chelsea looking pretty good at the moment. Man U not looking at their best.

The last time I recall this scenario was in 2005, Chelsea going to Old Trafford. I remember everyone saying ManU were in for a defeat.

Fletcher scored the only goal..

This should be a cracking game, and I'll miss it because I'm on a flipping flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

2-0 to United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

2 - 1 to MU

bw wrote: »
    Chelsea looking pretty good at the moment. Man U not looking at their best.

The last time I recall this scenario was in 2005, Chelsea going to Old Trafford. I remember everyone saying ManU were in for a defeat.

Fletcher scored the only goal..

This should be a cracking game, and I'll miss it because I'm on a flipping flight.

United were at home in that game though. Chelsea should be too strong at home this time around if form is anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I'm hoping the way Chelsea are playing will scare United into playing as well as they possibly can right from the start rather than playing crap from the start, play well for a bit, play crap again, then raise their game for the rest of the match and having to scrape a result.

2-1 united.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Paleface wrote: »
    United were at home in that game though. Chelsea should be too strong at home this time around if form is anything to go by.
    being at home doesn't make much difference. Form book goes out the window. United to win 1-0. Drogba to be sent off.

Liam O wrote: »
    being at home doesn't make much difference. Form book goes out the window. United to win 1-0. Drogba to be sent off.

Of course being at home makes a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

VDS
    -O'Shea----Rio
    Vidic----Evra
    ---Fletcher-Carrick----Anderson--
    -Valencia
    Giggs
    Rooney

Defensively I dunno how the fitness is gonna go but anyway, I'll start Rio, and Vidic, with Evans being my first choice back up, and Brown my second.

Berbatov really struggled a few weeks back when he was played up top on his own, he only got into the game when Owen came on.I know he is better a holding the ball up, and bringing people into the game etc, but I really don't think he is willing to put in the work a lone front man needs to.

In saying that if Giggs isn't fit I see Rooney, going wide, and Berbatov up front.

We may also go 4-4-2

Fletcher-Carrick-Anderson-Giggs
    Rooney
    Berbatov----

That can easily go 4-5-1 if needs be.

My predication is 2-2.

kenon wrote: »
    I'm hoping the way Chelsea are playing will scare United into playing as well as they possibly can right from the start rather than playing crap from the start, play well for a bit, play crap again, then raise their game for the rest of the match and having to scrape a result.

2-1 united.
    Also I wish we could dispel this myth that Chelsea have been playing fantastically well this season. The amount of times they have had to rescue games after going behind and they have been dropping points. If United had've beaten Liverpool they'd be going into this game ahead of Chelsea. Evra and Giggs will destroy them if they play that diamond formation imo.

being at home doesn't make much difference.

That's a ridiculous statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Being at home makes no difference? Form goes out the window? What you on about?

• Advertisement

Also I wish we could dispel this myth that Chelsea have been playing fantastically well this season. The amount of times they have had to rescue games after going behind and they have been dropping points. If United had've beaten Liverpool they'd be going into this game ahead of Chelsea. Evra and Giggs will destroy them if they play that diamond formation imo.

How will Giggs and Evra destroy us so?

JPA wrote: »
    Being at home makes no difference? Form goes out the window? What you on about?

Have you ever watched a top 4 game? They are unpredictable, either team could easily win this and being at home wont make much difference to chelsea's or United's gameplan.

Have you ever watched a top 4 game? They are unpredictable, either team could easily win this and being at home wont make much difference to chelsea's or United's gameplan.

Well I think you are wrong, Chelsea are clear favourites because of form and being at home.

Well I think you are wrong, Chelsea are clear favourites because of form and being at home.

the bookies had utd as favourites against liverpool iirc

and we know what happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Also I wish we could dispel this myth that Chelsea have been playing fantastically well this season.

I never said they are playing fantastically well. I think they are playing quite well, but not at their best, hence why they should be feared.

I think Chelsea are the number 1 threat to United's title hopes and I think that should scare United into a performance.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Advertisement

Without looking back over the top 4 games in the last few years I can guarentee that being at home has mattered most of the time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If United play on form then I predict 2 - 1 to United or a draw.
    If United are not on form then 2-1 to Chelsea.

Its very hard to tell - United have been mixed all season and far from predictable. I do think United can beat Chelsea though, if they play well enough.

Chelsea PL and CL form since 26th September. LWWLWWWD
    United PL and CL form since 26th September. WWDWWLWD

seems pretty similar to me.

That was because Liverpool were in awful form, the result being a surprise for most, whereas in this game both teams are playing well, with Chelsea more impressive and at home. If United did win it wouldn't be as big a surprise as Liverpool winning though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Probably based on Liverpool's performance all season compared to Uniteds. Liverpool upped their game and United had their off day again.

Sully wrote: »
    Probably based on Liverpool's performance all season compared to Uniteds. Liverpool upped their game and United had their off day again.

United has an off day because Macherano and Lucas didnt let them control midfield.

Anyway back on topic, Already nervous about the game.

Chelsea PL and CL form since 26th September. LWWLWWWD
    United PL and CL form since 26th September. WWDWWLWD

seems pretty similar to me.

Ignoring that Chelsea have conceded less and scored more than United.

Ignoring that Chelsea have conceded less and scored more than United.

wow big deal, doesn't give you any more points. United have won games playing without a lot of first choice players.

wow big deal, doesn't give you any more points. United have won games playing without a lot of first choice players.

Why do Chelsea have more points then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Why do Chelsea have more points then?

Because they won/drew more games then United did. Not because they scored more in the games they won...

On the general point, I agree with you though; simple W/L/D stats don't tell the whole story. United have been getting the results, in general, while playing poorly. That is fine against 'smaller' sides but a team like Chelsea is far more likely to beat a team that are not playing at their best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement