Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea -v- Man United Match Thread [Mod Warning Post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Frustrating. United didnt do enough to win but certainly didnt deserve to lose. There will be plenty said about the freekick for the goal and the foul in the box. But regardless Terrys header was far too easy and it should have been defended better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

There was noting in that game really, Chelsea got the rub of the green with the free kick. Impressed by the little I saw of Obertan Ces't La vie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Bubs101 wrote: »
    :D:D^^^^:D:D

Not quite the canter you predicted bai.;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

sickened with the result, thought a draw would of been a fair result..

The team played very well, Anderson and Fletcher had a great game as did brown and Evans which is good to see.

Wasn't impressed with Carrick again, good to see Oberton coming on as well i say Nanis in trouble..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

flahavaj wrote: »
    Not quite the canter you predicted bai.;):p

True that but that was just to annoy the Man Utd fans. Missed this comment btw, genius
    Bubs101 going totally against his usual gimmick in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Even though United lost I'd be happy about the way we played. Chelsea should be concerned about how narrow their midfield is.

No point in going on about the ref. United should have defended the free. All in all a very even game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I think the commentaor just about summed this one up with the word 'Injustice'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

That Fletcher chap is a classless animal and a very mouthy one at that , he should not off been on the pitch on the end .

I think the police are going to investigate Johnny Evans for GBH on drogba,
    classless performance from united,

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Chelsea shaded it and probably just deserved it. Ref wasn't as bad as people are saying, but considering who the ref was, I'm surprised he wasn't a bit more biased towards Chelsea. To blame him for the loss though is not right. Utd created very little once again.

A draw would have been the preferred result though I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Villain wrote: »
    The better team always wins unless its a draw, you can have all the pocession and dominate all you want but the better team is the one that scores the goals. Although at least UTD played a lot better than the pool game.

Ref had a nightmare though UTD could have had 2 before half time with the Ronney offisde and Terry pulling Valencia down

Rubbish.

Over a league the best team always wins. In one match, this is not true. Not even close to being true either. United were the better team today and if you can't see that well then you are football clueless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Not interested in blaming the referee to be honest. United get more than their fair share of decisions in their favour over the course of a season. Indeed they can count thelselves lucky not to have been reduced to ten men in all fairness. I'm heartened by their showing today. The midfield three did really well and I think thats the way to go in big games against teams that played 3 in midfield. Disappointed to get nothing when they deserved at least the draw.

Thought Fletcher was excellent, hes vital for United against the better teams.

Finally someone with some sense. United were probably the better team today, I thought there midfield was excellent. But we took our chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Decent game , was happy with the performance bar the defending for the goal.Could have brought Obertan on earlier maybe.

5starpool wrote: »
    Chelsea shaded it and probably just deserved it. Ref wasn't as bad as people are saying, but considering who the ref was, I'm surprised he wasn't a bit more biased towards Chelsea. To blame him for the loss though is not right. Utd created very little once again.

The ref was awful but the Mitch crying about him being bias is laughable. He was just as bad for us and I think a disciplinary panel will show that by having a word involving a 3 match ban with Evans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Are you serious? Johnny Evans kicked Cantona's Drogba right in the stomach and then kicked Carvalho and stayed on the pitch. I thought at one point Fletcher was going to kill Joe Cole the way he was steaming after him but and Joe had to even put his hands up to defend himslef and Valencia could have been sent off for the tackle on Lamps
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

I'm only judging on the last 20 minutes as that's all I saw but some United players very lucky to finish the game on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The ref was awful but the Mitch crying about him being bias is laughable. He was just as bad for us and I think a disciplinary panel will show that by having a word involving a 3 match ban with Evans

What a crock.

United shoulda been two up before chelski had a chance to get a gift of a free for nothing to end up scoring . .

I would prefer that the ref got all the decisions right . . Chelski easily did well out of his awful hometown bias . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Rubbish.

Over a league the best team always wins. In one match, this is not true. Not even close to being true either. United were the better team today and if you can't see that well then you are football clueless.
    Its a bit pedantic really but the aim of a game of Soccer is to score more goals than the opposition the better team is the one that does that, who played the better football is a different thing and yes UTD by far played better football but its not worth anything if you lose imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

I think the police are going to investigate Johnny Evans for GBH on drogba,
    classless performance from united,

I heard they're gonna put him in jail for 20 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Not interested in blaming the referee to be honest. United get more than their fair share of decisions in their favour over the course of a season. Indeed they can count thelselves lucky not to have been reduced to ten men in all fairness. I'm heartened by their showing today. The midfield three did really well and I think thats the way to go in big games against teams that played 3 in midfield. Disappointed to get nothing when they deserved at least the draw.

Thought Fletcher was excellent, hes vital for United against the better teams.

I agree with this, though I'd add that because Rooney was up front on his own, I never really thought we'd score, I just hoped we'd keep a clean sheet.

Not sure how I feel about that game. I'm disappointed to have lost, but it was a really decent performance from Utd, and they showed much more determination and commitment than the match at Anfield.

Its a bit pedantic really but the aim of a game of Soccer is to score more goals than the opposition the better team is the one that does that, who played the better football is a different thing and yes UTD by far played better football but its not worth anything if you lose imo

There was a terribly tedious thread about this a while back. Lost a few years off my life even reading it. PLEASE lets not ever do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Chelsea shaded it and probably just deserved it.

ROFL

• Advertisement

Are you serious? Johnny Evans kicked Cantona's Drogba right in the stomach and then kicked Carvalho and stayed on the pitch. I thought at one point Fletcher was going to kill Joe Cole the way he was steaming after him but and Joe had to even put his hands up to defend himslef and Valencia could have been sent off for the tackle on Lamps

Yeah the kick on Drogba was nasty. But the "kick" on Carvalho was a nothing incident. Valencia was never getting sent off for that tackle in any world. No intent on his part to hurt Lampard. I missed the Fletcher stamp. When did that happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Utd were awesome today I thought.Deco / Lampard / Drogbaand Ballack played out of the game. I take a lot of heart from that performance today as a Utd fan. Dont think we will win the league now as we will lose silly pts elsewhere and I doubt if Chelsea will make the same mistakes when the chips were down.

A performance of total honesty and effort today though and cant ask for anymore as a supporter, they can walk away from this game with their heads held high.Pity they didnt perform like that at Anfield!

Ancellotti cant take any credit for that win, they were out thought and outplayed today and got lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

I heard they're gonna put him in jail for 20 years

They will just ban Evra lol :rolleyes:

anyway Utd deserved something from that they were better.
    was never a freekick so shouldnt have been a goal , should have been a penalty but wasnt given nothing can be done about that.

dissapointed to have lost but pleased with the performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Chelsea shaded it and probably just deserved it. Ref wasn't as bad as people are saying, but considering who the ref was, I'm surprised he wasn't a bit more biased towards Chelsea.

What game were you watching?

Tom65 wrote: »
    I agree with this, though I'd add that because Rooney was up front on his own, I never really thought we'd score, I just hoped we'd keep a clean sheet.

Not sure how I feel about that game. I'm disappointed to have lost, but it was a really decent performance from Utd, and they showed much more determination and commitment than the match at Anfield.

I thought Rooney did well up front, had a few great efforts on goal. Definitely more positives than negatives to be taken from the game anyway.

Evans was great, the two bad fouls aside. I'd keep him in the team for a bit even when Rio is back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

United showed up today. Unlucky.

Woop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Ironically One of your best performances this season , AND we come away empty handed , Fair play to Chelsea stuck in there and got the result , A sign of a team with a real chance of winning the league . Think enough will be said about the ref in the next few posts , and I'll totally agree with the red view of things ;)
    Thought Anderson and Fletcher where fantastic and if you look at the quality of the opposition's midfield it even adds more to the pairs performance , thought Giggs and Carrick where the two major disappointments .

losing 1-0 away to Chelsea Without Berbs , Vidic and Rio but putting in a performance like that Its a small thing but it gives me hope .

Well done CHD & co , enjoy the night ,see ye at Old Trafford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thats football guys... thats all it is.

"It's the six inches in front of your face!!"

I think we've long passed the stage where there should be a dramatic overhaul of the way football matches are officiated. Whether it be technology, extra officials with decision making capability, whatever. Try something. It's ridiculous that we have the outcome of events of such importance to so many people heavily weighted by human error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

As a United fan I'm dissapointed.
    I thought it was a good perfromance although we didn't really trouble Chelsea at any point.
    The refereeing was a joke, Evans should have been sent off for his kick on Drogba, Valencia's yellow card was a "homer" decision if ever I saw one and showed the weakness of the officials.
    It really is time the issue of refereeing is properly addressed.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

That's something I forgot about - Obertan. He's looking so confident, I'm delighted with how he's doing. I can't wait to see him start a string of games together to see how he does, but I have very high hopes for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Drumpot wrote: »
    What a crock.

United shoulda been two up before chelski had a chance to get a gift of a free for nothing to end up scoring . .

I would prefer that the ref got all the decisions right . . Chelski easily did well out of his awful hometown bias . .

If he was going to favour Chelsea (note how it is spelt) he could justifiably sent two Man U players off. In fact, it could be argued he should have sent two off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Looked like Uniteds gameplan was to kick lumps out of Chelsea. From a neutral point of view, delighted Chelsea won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Drumpot wrote: »
    Good win for the ref . . Ridiculous . .

Have to laugh . . Similar at Liverpool, yet the next time united get any decision in any game usual ABU's will moan that we always get the decisions.

Ref gave a free for nothing which led to the goal where Drogba molested Brown down . .

Terry shoulda given a peno away against Valencia.

Rooney wasnt offside in first half when through on goal .

Ref gives drogba frees for diving .

Ref stops game when theres no head injury (two chelski players bang into each other) and then when there is a head injury (to giggs) waits till united clear their lines .

I could go on but he couldnt of done much more to give chelski anymore of a hand . .

United were the superior team and didnt deserve that treatment .

The ref was terrible for both teams, fletcher made about ten fouls 3 of them were bad fouls that deserved yellows, didnt get one, he was also constantly chasing the ref when decisions were made that had nothing to do with him, which is supposed to be a yellow, evens was lucky to be on the pitch, valenca was lucky not to see red, drogba and carvahallo wrongly booked, i could go on too, its 6 of one half a dozon of the other, you's played well but lost instead of complaining you should be praising your team not complaining about the ref!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

United should off gotten a penalty, it was a soft free-kick, Droga was offside, giving a yellow card to Evans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Drogba getting kung fu kicked by Evans made my weekend. Delighted:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

ccosgrave wrote: »
    That's something I forgot about - Obertan. He's looking so confident, I'm delighted with how he's doing. I can't wait to see him start a string of games together to see how he does, but I have very high hopes for him.

Does look a good player alright

ccosgrave wrote: »

Needs to work on his corners though. Definitely getting more and more hopeful about him overall, hes been quietly impressive every time I've seen his cameos so far. If I were Nani I'd be getting a little worried.

I remember 'Boggles' said Scholes was right to play ahead of Anderson in the Liverpool game, I hope you can see how wrong you were after that showing today.

Prufrock wrote: »
    Yeah the kick on Drogba was nasty. But the "kick" on Carvalho was a nothing incident. Valencia was never getting sent off for that tackle in any world. No intent on his part to hurt Lampard. I missed the Fletcher stamp. When did that happen?

Fletcher didn't stamp on anybody. Joe cole tackled him and Fletcher got up and just sprinted after Joe Cole and he had to put his hands up onto fletcher's face to stop him doing anything. Remember it quite well because I thought Joe could be in trouble. Fletcher had a very good game but he's a nasty son of a bitch

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

manutd wrote: »
    United should off gotten a penalty, it was a soft free-kick, Droga was offside, giving a yellow card to Evans.

You could claim that maybe drogba pushed brown, but he really just fell to the ground himself, poor defending. Either way he fell over playing him onside also.

It could easily have been given as a peno, but a hard one to get away from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Droga was offside,

Now there is plenty of things you can have a go at the Ref for but Drogba WAS NOT offside brown was lying beside and was keeping him on, how he ended up on the floor is something else!!

ROCKMAN wrote:
    Well done CHD & co , enjoy the night ,see ye at Old Trafford

:D

I like this. Yous were unlucky, 5Starpool saying we just shaded it was spot on. United did there job just couldn't get that goal, and at Stamford Bridge more often than not this won't be good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

How will Evans got a 3 match ban ???. Or is it the one where ge was trying to get the ball back, he shouldn't had got a yellow for that, he was getting the ball back.

Quint wrote: »
    Looked like Uniteds gameplan was to kick lumps out of Chelsea. From a neutral point of view, delighted Chelsea won.
    WTF? You serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

nipplenuts wrote: »
    If he was going to favour Chelsea (note how it is spelt) he could justifiably sent two Man U players off. In fact, it could be argued he should have sent two off.

united should of been 2 up before those incidents . . Dont make me laugh . .

And valencia tackle was never a red . .

• Advertisement

Now there is plenty of things you can have a go at the Ref for but Drogba WAS NOT offside brown was lying beside and was keeping him on, how he ended up on the floor is something else!!
    This

Fletcher didn't stamp on anybody. Joe cole tackled him and Fletcher got up and just sprinted after Joe Cole and he had to put his hands up onto fletcher's face to stop him doing anything. Remember it quite well because I thought Joe could be in trouble. Fletcher had a very good game but he's a nasty son of a bitch

I'd never have called Fletch nasty. He certainly was fairly robust today, but generally hes not the kinda guy I'd think of in a discussion about nasty players. I'm much happier seeing him throwing his weight around like he did today than the frail lightweight figure he cut during his first few years in the team.

Ah my stream must have been down when that happened. Or as Wenger would say I didn't see the incident. :eek:

Yeah Fletcher is just that kind of player. Any kind of defensive player has to be physical/aggressive. There's a fine line though.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Valencia in the first half was probably a penalty but the way he dived to try and get it when the ball was cleared didn't help.

There were very few chances in the game, but Chelseas chances were abit better than utds overall. Not much in it, but Chelsea were the more likely to score. Drogba was interfering all right but I'm not sure the keeper would have got it if he wasn't distracting him. Evans should have been sent off though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

YIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

(that is all)

• Advertisement
Advertisement