Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea -v- Man United Match Thread [Mod Warning Post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

How did Brown end up on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

CHD wrote: »
    :D

I like this. Yous were unlucky, 5Starpool saying we just shaded it was spot on.

I REPEAT... ROFL

Chelsea in all fairness got the win but in no way deserved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

The ref was terrible for both teams, fletcher made about ten fouls 3 of them were bad fouls that deserved yellows, didnt get one, he was also constantly chasing the ref when decisions were made that had nothing to do with him, which is supposed to be a yellow, evens was lucky to be on the pitch, valenca was lucky not to see red, drogba and carvahallo wrongly booked, i could go on too, its 6 of one half a dozon of the other, you's played well but lost instead of complaining you should be praising your team not complaining about the ref!
    Alomst Every player does that annoying as it is ref's never show yellows rooney is the worst for it tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

The standard of officiating in the premier league is shocking to be honest. So many wrong decisions today for both teams and they can have far reaching consequences.

I think United were very unlucky to lose, but them's the breaks. We'll have plenty of games when we'll get the rub of the green and the benefit of decisions that we shouldn't have got so be it.

Never get as upset about losing to Chelsea as I do to Liverpool, and the last few years we tend to lose to them both and win the league anyway. I'll take that again this year.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

manutd wrote: »

Drogba definitely nudged him forward then pulled him back, but it was minor enough. Not enough to throw him to the ground. It was the same as happens on every corner and free kick imo. For me at least it was poor defending to end up on the ground so easily. Would have been a very soft free out and the ref was in a poor position to see it anyway.

Don't get me wrong, the ref was poor, but I didn't think the big decisions were clear cut enough to have always gone the other way even with a good ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

curry-muff wrote: »
    I REPEAT... ROFL

are u suggesting united did more than chelsea to win this game?
    if thats the case, blow it out somewhere else will ya.
    ive been talking to united friends, general consensus among them is united starting playing properly after the goal.
    everybody on here knew this was always going to be a tight game, where a goal or two would seal the win, its chelsea's day on the day, get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

Drogba pulled him down.. but it wasn't a huge pull down. he pulled him but brown prob could of stayed up if he tried.. One of those that you'd get sometimes and not others..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

So United lose after falling victim to a few dodgy ref decisions and all of a sudden there's calls for a complete overhaul of the system. Some of the lads here need to take it on the chin and get over it, they were singing the same tune after the Liverpool match.

Every team in the league gets questionable decisions for and against them over the course of the season, that's just the way it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

curry-muff wrote: »
    I REPEAT... ROFL

ROFL

tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

papagormo wrote: »
    ive been talking to united friends, general consensus among them is united starting playing properly after the goal.
    everybody on here knew this was always going to be a tight game, where a goal or two would seal the win, its chelsea's day on the day, get over it.
    He's saying that overall Utd performed better.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    Valencia in the first half was probably a penalty but the way he dived to try and get it when the ball was cleared didn't help.

There were very few chances in the game, but Chelseas chances were abit better than utds overall. Not much in it, but Chelsea were the more likely to score. Drogba was interfering all right but I'm not sure the keeper would have got it if he wasn't distracting him. Evans should have been sent off though.
    Drogba was interfering, he lifted his leg up and as far as i see it is a out.

Why and how should Evans be sent off, which one are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Drogba was interfering, he lifted his leg up and as far as i see it is a out.

Why and how should Evans be sent off, which one are you on about?

Which bit of Evans pulling a Chuck Norris on Drogba did you miss?

He's saying that overall Utd performed better.

i saw it as fairly 50-50 being honest, united came with a very different mentality than what they had against liverpool, credit for that. but chelsea put in a very decent performance, got the goal, realised united would go on the all out attack from then on and so defended excellently.credit where its due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Sky just showed it clearly plain as day . .

Not only was it not a free kick for the goal but Drogba pulled down Brown . .

Have to laugh at people clutching at straws that the ref was impartial . .

Apart from denying united a peno, rooney through on goal he gave chelski a non existant free and allowed united defender to be molested in the box . .

Hey, these things happen in games and united have gotten the rub of the green in other games, I just know the next time united get a dodgy decision the usual ABU moaners will point out that we ALWAYS get dodgy decisions. United were simply robbed today . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

No offence but your friends obviously don't know much about football. United stifled Chelsea brilliantly and created a few chances of their own. They played 'properly' for 75 minutes, and then obviously threw everything at it for the last 15.

The referee was very poor today, and while I'll agree he made some bad decisions that went against both teams, it was those that went against United that ultimately changed the outcome of the game.

Personally I felt we deserved something from the game, and I would say that it was United that shaded it, not Chelsea. There are a lot of positives to take from that performance, especially in the centre of midfield and defence.

Above all, much like the CL final last season, today showed just how important Fletcher is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Even game. Either side losing can feel slightly aggrieved. Ref was horrible all round today. On another day we win that but we didnt today. Just how it is.

It's looks clear on the Last Word on Sky, that he pulled down Brown and he was interfering. The referee was in a terrible place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

how can they give Anelka motm today? that is a joke. If a Chelsea player was to get it it would be Carvalho but it should have been a Utd player. Fletch, Anderson, evra, Valencia......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    how can they give Anelka motm today? that is a joke. If a Chelsea player was to get it it would be Carvalho but it should have been a Utd player. Fletch, Anderson, evra, Valencia......:rolleyes:

On FPL they gave JT 3, Carvallho 2 and essien 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

evad_lhorg wrote: »

Because Anelka played really well maybe?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rubbish.

Over a league the best team always wins. In one match, this is not true. Not even close to being true either. United were the better team today and if you can't see that well then you are football clueless.

I never saw Utd winning that match. They sat back intent to stop Chelsea and were doing that fine until they switched off employing zonal marking. I wonder if there'll be criticism on who was tracking John Terry.

Never saw them winning the game at 0-0 though. Much like Chelsea v Barcelona. If you set out to stop a team, all it needs one moment and lack of concentration.

33pd8ih.jpg

Did anyone see this guy brushing his teeth. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Some truly laughable stuff flying in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

When have you ever seen a losing player win MOTM? and besides its sky the most united biased media company in the world even they know its not right to give it to a losing player, then again J.Redknap did chose itso that would explain why anelka got it, he doesn't have a clue! i was surprised to see him get it too, anyways im off to buy the ref a few pints!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

After that I am much more hopeful of Utd winning the league than I was before the game. Finally...... a Midfield :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Johner wrote: »
    33pd8ih.jpg

Did anyone see this guy brushing his teeth. :cool:
    Must have been some kind of bet

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

After rewatching it, Drogba wasn't offside so had every right to interfere.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Which bit of Evans pulling a Chuck Norris on Drogba did you miss?
    You must off missed it, there was two with Evans, the one were he got booked and the droga one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Villain wrote: »
    Now there is plenty of things you can have a go at the Ref for but Drogba WAS NOT offside brown was lying beside and was keeping him on, how he ended up on the floor is something else!!

0:47 secs
    Lad in LeftFull back position is level with him at all times until the Terry header, well at very least to the extent that the ref's have to give benefit of doubt to the attacker

Aidric wrote: »
    Some truly laughable stuff flying in now.

right...well iv only known them about 12 odd years and they have been united fans long before that but sure if their views are laughable then giggle away my friend, its absolutely no skin off my nose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

the dorgba interfering/not interfering thing is hilarious.

he wasn't offside! jayyyyyysus.

pretty much 50-50 today. Ref was poor all round wasn't a free kick imo (although as Monkey9 pointed out, it was by Fergusons definition)...but Chelsea should have had a peno & Evans sent off for that disgraceful challenge on Drogba.

Complaining about the extra time is funny, twas the same ref that was in charge of the Utd/City game afaik.

Utd fans blowing the refs performance way out of proportion.
    elshambo wrote: »
    Lad in LeftFull back position is level with him at all times until the Terry header, well at very least to the extent that the ref's have to give benefit of doubt to the attacker

true, and thats without even mentioning Brown who was in front of Drogba who was playing him on too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

God's thoughts.
    Sir Alex Ferguson claimed referee Martin Atkinson's decisions which led to Chelsea's winning goal at Stamford Bridge were the kind which lead managers and players to "lose faith in refereeing".

Atkinson awarded a free-kick for Darren Fletcher's challenge on Ashley Cole, and Wes Brown appeared to be impeded as Frank Lampard's delivery was turned into the net.

An unhappy Ferguson told Sky Sports 1: "Clearly, Darren Fletcher's won the ball - Ashley Cole's never touched and has jumped up in the air - and then (Didier) Drogba's pulled Brown to the ground for the goal.

"The referee's position to make the decision was absolutely ridiculous, he can't see anything. He's got a Chelsea player (Joe Cole) standing right in front of him and he doesn't even move.

"It was a bad decision, but there's nothing we can do about it. You lose faith in refereeing sometimes, that's the way the players are talking in there - it was a bad one."

Mr Alan wrote: »
    the dorgba interfering/not interfering thing is hilarious.

he wasn't offside! jayyyyyysus.

pretty much 50-50 today. Ref was poor all round wasn't a free kick imo (although as Monkey9 pointed out, it was by Fergusons definition)...but Chelsea should have had a peno & Evans sent off for that disgraceful challenge on Drogba.

Complaining about the extra time is funny, twas the same ref that was in charge of the Utd/City game afaik.

Utd fans blowing the refs performance way out of proportion.

Whats funny is that -

a- it wasnt a free in the first place
    b - united players were giving out because drogba pulled down brown in the box when terry scored
    c- Had the ref done his job, rooney might of scored when called offside in the first half and united would of had a penalty, long before those evans incidents (both questionable) happened.

Either way you look at it, chelski were the beneficiary of a homer ref . .

It happens and its annoying but to deny that he was a homer is the ultimate delusion.

Woulda been interesting to see the responses here had united gotten a goal like that with the peno and offside decision going against chelski !

Alex, Alex, Alex.....already awaiting his punishment for the comments about Wiley.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Whats funny is that -

a- it wasnt a free in the first place
    b - united players were giving out because drogba pulled down brown in the box when terry scored
    c- Had the ref done his job, rooney might of scored when called offside in the first half and united would of had a penalty, long before those evans incidents (both questionable).

Either way you look at it, chelski were the beneficiary of a homer ref . .

a-according to Fergusons definition of a foul, it was a free.
    b-drogba barely touched Brown.
    c-yep, he was definately onside. poor call from the ref, as i said he made poor calls both ways. & the Evans/Drogba incident is not questionable.

c-yep, he was definately onside. poor call from the ref, as i said he made poor calls both ways. & the Evans/Drogba incident is not questionable.

a- Fletcher won the ball. Not really sure what else he could do. Didnt see the Fergie quote but perhaps he tried to be more pc on that obvious point (that everybody could see was ridiculous)>
    b - Sky CLEARLY showed that it was a foul on Brown. Even the PC Andy Gray said it
    c - Chelski benefited more by the decisions. Again , had the roles been reversed we would be reading about united owning refs !!

U see, this happens in football and I know united have had the same decisions before. But united fans have to listen to ABU's constantly say that we own refs. Against pool and today against Chelski we certainly didnt get the rub of the green.

Against pool we deserved to be hammered and it didnt affect the outcome of the game.

Today it was the deciding factor. To say that both teams got decisions that made a differance is incorrect. Ultimately the 3 biggest ref decisions (2 resulting in united not getting clear scoring chances and one gifting chelski a goal) cost united more then chelski.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Woulda been interesting to see the responses here had united gotten a goal like that with the peno and offside decision going against chelski !

I'm 97% certain that all the utd fans would be making the reverse justifications than they are now, and similar for the other viewpoint.

a- Fletcher won the ball. Not really sure what else he could do. Didnt see the Fergie quote but perhaps he tried to be more pc on that obvious point (that everybody could see was ridiculous)>
    b - Sky CLEARLY showed that it was a foul on Brown. Even the PC Andy Gray said it
    c - Chelski benefited more by the decisions. Again , had the roles been reversed we would be reading about united owning refs !!

U see, this happens in football and I know united have had the same decisions before. But united fans have to listen to ABU's constantly say that we own refs. Against pool and today against Chelski we certainly didnt get the rub of the green.

Against pool we deserved to be hammered and it didnt affect the outcome of the game.

Today it was the deciding factor. To say that both teams got decisions that made a differance is incorrect. Ultimately the 3 biggest ref decisions (2 resulting in united not getting clear scoring chances and one gifting chelski a goal) cost united more then chelski.

its Chelsea actually.

And why dont you stop making excuses and look at your own performance in the final third. Utd didnt create anything of note so therefore didnt deserve to win the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

What are you on about "Fergie's definition of a foul?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Alex, Alex, Alex.....already awaiting his punishment for the comments about Wiley.

You're having one of your moments AL.;)

Drogba was ahead of Brown when terry got the flick on, thats clealy defined by the 6 yard line in the replays. Drogba tugged on Brown , should have been a free out . That said there's no complaints from me, one game these decision go you way next game they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

I think Johnny Evans thought Drogba's poppy was a target.

Johner wrote: »
    its Chelsea actually.

And why dont you stop making excuses and look at your own performance in the final third. Utd didnt create anything of note so therefore didnt deserve to win the game.

In the final third Valencia was pulled down that shoulda been a peno and rooney was called offside when through on goal. Compare them to chelski's chances and there wasnt an awful lot between the sides.

Im not making any excuses. United were terrific IMO.

Before the game all the talk of was our injuries and how chelski were awesome. If anything chelski were shown up as a quite ordinary team that won a game in which they relied on the rub of the green . .

Thats football but I am more encouraged by this defeat then I have been by any other game united has played in this season . .

I thought we were gonna be hammered, but instead we were the better team .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

jaykay74 wrote: »
    After that I am much more hopeful of Utd winning the league than I was before the game. Finally...... a Midfield :)
    Fletcher and Anderson :pac: Come on out of that. Surely Utd should be aiming higher than that standard?

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Fletcher and Anderson :pac: Come on out of that. Surely Utd should be aiming higher than that standard?

Fletcher is a superb player . . Only a fanboy ABU couldnt spot that .

And Anderson is 21 . . Plenty of time to improve,

Oh and this united CM won 3 epls and a CL . . Not bad for crap players . .

In the final third Valencia was pulled down that shoulda been a peno and rooney was called offside when through on goal. Compare them to chelski's chances and there wasnt an awful lot between the sides.

Im not making any excuses. United were terrific IMO.

Before the game all the talk of was our injuries and how chelski were awesome. If anything chelski were shown up as a quite ordinary team that won a game in which they relied on the rub of the green . .

Thats football but I am more encouraged by this defeat then I have been by any other game united has played in this season . .

I thought we were gonna be hammered, but instead we were the better team .

I stopped reading here.:rolleyes:

1-0 Good bye. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Great win for us. Evans should have went. United didn't have any clear chances. Obertan looks decent. Better team won. End of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

As a Chelsea fan I'm more worried about Arsenal than United, think we should have gone 4-5-1 though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Awh well, that's the league done and dusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

As a Chelsea fan I'm more worried about Arsenal than United, think we should have gone 4-5-1 though

In terms of an attacking threat, Arsenal have more than anybody but I don't think they have the physicality to cope with Chelsea in a head to head.

• Advertisement

What are you on about "Fergie's definition of a foul?"

when carragher took Carrick out of it after getting a nick on the ball.
    I felt it was a penalty. He has clearly gone over the top of the ball on Carrick. If it was outside the box, it would have been a free-kick."

for the record, i disagree.

Advertisement