Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea -v- Man United Match Thread [Mod Warning Post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

As a Chelsea fan I'm more worried about Arsenal than United, think we should have gone 4-5-1 though

Ha Ha. I love when people say they're not worried about utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Awh well, that's the league done and dusted.
    It is for Liverpool anyway :D only buzzing.

I think Sir Alex was in some ways saying that if Chelsea went 5 points ahead of them they would have a job catching them and they will but Arsenal are in this battle too, but I know you were taking the pi55 hence my joke reply above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Here .

Somebody said fergie said that Fletcher did foul Cole .

Eh ?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=696078&sec=england&cc=5739

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Mr Alan wrote: »
    when carragher took Carrick out of it after getting a nick on the ball.

for the record, i disagree.

Well given that Atkinson gave the foul by Fletcher today, it looks like Ferguson was right ;)

in any event, lucky, unlucky doesn't make a blind bit of difference. Chelsea got 3 points today and United got none, onto the next match now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Its November for ****s sake.

• Advertisement

Check out this guy at the match today:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I posted about that during the match as I thought thats what he was doing. Who brings a tooth brush to a match!!

Shaft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Fletcher and Anderson :pac: Come on out of that. Surely Utd should be aiming higher than that standard?

I'm not sure how much you watch of Utd games but saying Utd should aim higher than Fletcher is ludicrous based on the last couple of seasons. Fletcher is 100% of Utd quallity. clueless :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Fletcher is top notch. Was like Keane today, the giving out and on a mission to kill someone bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

adm wrote: »
    Ha Ha. I love when people say they're not worried about utd.

Well the bookies are not, ye are now 3rd favourites, take it up with them (by placing bets) if you think they are wron (3.9-1) on betfair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Fletcher is Utds best midfielder for quite some time. Quality player.

Fletcher top notch? I have heard it all now. He is ****ing alehouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Drumpot wrote: »
    Fletcher is a superb player . . Only a fanboy ABU couldnt spot that .

And Anderson is 21 . . Plenty of time to improve,

Oh and this united CM won 3 epls and a CL . . Not bad for crap players . .
    I'm no ABU. Fletcher is a workhorse nothing more. Poor man's Roy Keane. Youth is no excuse for Anderson. What's he scored for United? two goals.

To say Fletcher is a workhorse is like saying the same about Mascherano. Its ridiculous. Fletcher is a very good player.

Your point about Anderson is a bit silly too, he has disappointed for Utd for quite some time, but he was good today.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how much you watch of Utd games but saying Utd should aim higher than Fletcher is ludicrous based on the last couple of seasons. Fletcher is 100% of Utd quallity. clueless :D
    I've got my fingers crossed Utd don't aim higher than Fletcher tbh. Keep em coming fergie.:D

Well the bookies are not, ye are now 3rd favourites, take it up with them (by placing bets) if you think they are wron (3.9-1) on betfair

Looks like joint 2nd favourites to me :confused:

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/win-market

To say Fletcher is a workhorse is like saying the same about Mascherano. Its ridiculous. Fletcher is a very good player.

Your point about Anderson is a bit silly too, he has disappointed for Utd for quite some time, but he was good today.

Try telling that to Diego Maradonna.

I'm no ABU. Fletcher is a workhorse nothing more. Poor man's Roy Keane. Youth is no excuse for Anderson. What's he scored for United? two goals.

U obviously dont watch united . Fletcher was uniteds superb player in both CL semi final legs last season. Among many other top quality performances. Hes easily as good as Mascherano but more committed to the team and club.

like I said, Anderson is 21 years of age. Beckham hadnt even played first team football for united at that age. So goals is a fair assessment of how good a player is ? Poor old sht Roy Keane . . Pleaaaase .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Try telling that to Diego Maradonna.

Was Diego Maradona a defensive midfielder?

EDIT Ignore that I misunderstood the initial post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

actually Alan ando has been very good this season so far

wat did maradonna say about Fletcher? i'm confused

The Muppet wrote: »
    Was Diego Maradona a defensive midfielder?

He wasnt, but he is the manager of the Argentina national side and made Masch captain. He also thinks you're a ****.

As are most midfielder to have played the game :)

Who cares. This is the Chelsea v Man Utd thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

He wasnt, but he is the manager of the Argentina national side and he also thinks you're a ****.

I already edited my post, I missed the reference at first ok, not surprising given the topic we though we were discussing.

No need for the personal crap,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

He wasnt, but he is the manager of the Argentina national side and he also thinks you're a ****.

Jaysus relax, the thing is with the United midfield, Fletch and Anderson are good at what they do but where does the creativity come from?

That Mascherano's no Fletcher . . :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ha, didnt expect that!

As for the match, United played well, but didn't look terribly threatening, reminded me of liverpool in a lot of the drawn games last season. Still though not breaking through that chelsea rearguard is hardly cause for concern, its one of the very best around. Rooney should have been given the benefit of the doubt when he went through and was flagged offside though. Looked to be definately on. Whether he would have scored is obviously a question, but it was certainly a great chance which should have been allowed to go ahead.

Jaysus relax, the thing is with the United midfield, Fletch and Anderson are good at what they do but where does the creativity come from?
    Much the same problem we have at liverpool when its Lucas and Masch. Good at what they do, but could really do with an extra bit of creativity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

Well,iv no idea how united lost.We were the better team in the 1st half and at the start of the second.One crappy refereein decision later and we are out of it.I thought every1 played well for united today(mayb apart from giggs) and we deserved a point.At least it shows that we are not a million miles behind chelsea But it will be tough to catch em.Valencia or fletcher man of the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Lol, have you actually watched him play in the last 2 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Obertan and Hargreaves will help UTD no end in the second half of the season, with there usual defence and rooney up top i can see them winning the league again and having a great chance to win the CL. One thing i do think they miss is a out and out striker, shame they missed out on benzema

People seem to forget its only november, sure chelsea won, but whats to say UTD wont win at old trafford. I used to think fletcher would never make it for UTD but season after season he has improved loads, hes not just a work horse hes a excellent passer of the ball and is dedicated to the cause

Couple of negatives for me, Giggs was extremly poor and i also believe Valencia at this moment in time is not offering UTD anything going forward. He worked hard tracking A.Cole back etc today but most players do that if there asked by the manager.

Edit: Forgot to mention carrick, had a quiet game as usual

Can't believe Drogba got booked for being pole-axed by Johnny Evans. I thought that was a terrible foul. Boy who cried wolf I suppose.

With this being utds 3rd defeat, I presume the entire press will be ruling them out of the title race and calling for the managers head!:rolleyes:

Fletcher is top notch. He wouldn't be so vital to United if he wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Liverpool supporter here - Fletcher has been fantastic for United this season and was very good last season. He has an extremely positive effect on the way they play and anyone who denys this either hasnt been watching, or is a little bit silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

lol

Anyways, back to reality

Chelsea are in a good situation now, they did well today considering they were second best in the second half and came up against United would played exceptionally well... and still won.

United played very well, as a fan I'm happy with their performance and disappointed with the result. Should have got at least a draw. Can blame the ref for alot but I've no doubt they'll be well in the league run in come April/May.

League dusted? Ye for certain clubs, not Manchester United and certainly not for Arsenal.

Can't believe Drogba got booked for being pole-axed by Johnny Evans. I thought that was a terrible foul. Boy who cried wolf I suppose.

With this being utds 3rd defeat, I presume the entire press will be ruling them out of the title race and calling for the managers head!:rolleyes:

Pole axed . . Love that . . He was close to being brought to intensive care at one stage with his convulsions but remarkably recovered to play the rest of the game . . Drogba . . A true wnker in modern day football, why is it that he looks to of found his level at moscow bridge. ;)

despite being uniteds 3rd defeat its been their best performance of the season next to the city game . .

With the injuries we have had, with the form we have been showing and changing our formation, I think we are doing well to of played all the big teams and only be 5 points behind an in form chelski.

squad looking thin, especially at the back
    other than bad reffering would have kept a cleansheet against Chelsea without Neville (not so much first choice), Vidic and Ferdinand? The twins and a versatile John O Shea is hardly thin. 3 decent keepers too.

Actually, what squad is alot stronger at the back? Or are you just having a laugh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Well as Didier Drogba would say...

I called this earlier in the thread. I said United could get the win but that I had concerns over whether this referee would be strong enough for the game. Sadly I was to be proven right as the referee bottled the big decisions.

Valencia should have got a penalty and Fletcher should not have been punished for a fair challenge on Cole.

We were all over Chelsea and to lose that game is an absolute joke. There's still a long way to go though and from the evidence of today's performance, we are still in with a great shout of the title as we were clearly the better team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

LOL, just back from the pub, did you Man Utd supporters see the same game as me!!!! That was NOT a penalty, ye had one decent chance, Chelsea converted their best chance, now shh.

Typical Utd responce to the goal, crowd around the ref and abuse him, typical ferguson reaction too.... pfft, DELIGHTED FOR CHELSEA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I'm in the process of cleaning this thread, any further off-topic posting will lead to a ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

just some thoughts on the match...

i had a quick scour through the thread, very quick, and i was surprised to see how many people thought united were a good deal better than Chelsea. i think they shaded it, just, over 90mins. but it was by no means clearcut at all.

more like an even match which Chelsea got the break for, and scraped through.

and even so, isn't it the United mantra to play averagely/badly, and still win? chelsea blatantly perfected that art today.

anyway, as i say it was even enough. united dominated the first 15, chelsea took the upper hand for the next 15, and it much pretty much even for the rest. this all coincided, not surprisingly, with the midfields getting the upper hand on each other at these intervals.

the second half was much of the same. fairly even most of the half, with chelsea having a decent spell for 5/10 mins in the half, a bit after which they scored. united then dominated possession without creating much, apart from an awesome Rooney shot from 25 yards.

men of the match were Terry, Carvalho (top man for me), Essien, Fletch, Valencia (defensively mainly), and Anelka. maybe Rooney too due to a good spell in the second half.

Lampard, Ballack and Deco were pretty much anonymous, and much of the credit must go to all three of United's midfield. we all expect it from Flecther at this stage, but Carrick impressed me today too - getting stuck in as well as good intelligent passing. Anderson worked hard, but his team mates weren't on his wave length - Rooney should've put him through, as should Valencia.

Essien was awesome at times; but the lack of support from the 3 above proved too much at times. United definitely matched, and probably edged the battle in there. Carvalho was back to his best with some amazing interceptions, and Terry-esque blocks. Terry was also a tower, and took his goal well.

i didn't notice the ref that much, i must be honest. Fletcher and co kicked lumps out of the Chelsea midfield much of the time, nothing malicious, but just your usual niggly stuff. maybe the ref was harsh. if i had a vested interest in the game i may have noticed more. stricly speaking, it wasn't a foul for the free kick for the goal. it was almost a carbon copy of the Carra one at Anfield on Carrick. it's easily given though, just like Carra's could have been. the free kick could still have been defended better. the drogba flail of the boot...was it interfering? again, another 50/50 really that didn't go with utd. brown was fouled, and again it could've been given, but it would not have made a difference i don't think.

fletcher was quite the mad man for the last 15 mins.

all in all, it was what i expected from the game. and chelsea scored the goal, with utd marginally edging the play.

if one thing illustrated anything, it was that Chelsea will relatively struggle without Essien, Carvalho and Terry will have a huge say in Chelsea's fortunes and Fletcher is vital, so vital to United.

well done Chelsea. but you're certainly not invincible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I thought Terry should have been made MOTM, thought he was very strong all game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

flahavaj wrote: »
    I thought Terry should have been made MOTM, thought he was very strong all game.

i think he was wasn't he?

sky sports seemed to give it to him anyway.

SlickRic wrote: »
    i think he was wasn't he?

Gave it to Anelka

SlickRic wrote: »
    Anelka

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yep not even 1/3 of the way into the season and Arsenal 5 points behind with a game in hand....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

jank wrote: »
    Yep not even 1/3 of the way into the season and Arsenal 5 points behind with a game in hand....:rolleyes:
    Jank that was a p1ss take post as was made obvious by my reply and others too 5starpool pointed it out too, he was joking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I just hope that Chelsea don't walk the league this season.
    The two years they won the league were perhaps the most boring seasons in the Premier Leagues history.
    As a United fan I want my team to be up there with a chance, but as long as someone is there to keep up with Chelsea I'll be reasonably happy.
    If it comes to March and Chelsea have a 12 point lead I think I'll find something else to fill my time with other than PL football, just as I did when Mourinho was winning titles for them.
    There's no fun in a walk over, even for the fans of the team strolling towards the title.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

nullzero wrote: »
    I just hope that Chelsea don't walk the league this season.
    The two years they won the league were perhaps the most boring seasons in the Premier Leagues history.
    As a United fan I want my team to be up there with a chance, but as long as someone is there to keep up with Chelsea I'll be reasonably happy.
    If it comes to March and Chelsea have a 12 point lead I think I'll find something else to fill my time with other than PL football, just as I did when Mourinho was winning titles for them.
    There's no fun in a walk over, even for the fans of the team strolling towards the title.

While I'd have Chelsea as favourites I don't think they'll walk it. People are getting a little carried away here, its a five point gap in November.

• Advertisement
Advertisement