Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea -v- Man United Match Thread [Mod Warning Post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

as a united fan you're in no position to complain about teams strolling leagues.

Christ its November lads, only 26 games left now so i suppose its clearly in the bag

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

John-Terry-heads-in-the-o-002.jpg

Terry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

nuxxx wrote: »
    Obertan and Hargreaves will help UTD no end in the second half of the season, with there usual defence and rooney up top i can see them winning the league again and having a great chance to win the CL.

Good gracious, there is 30 pages of **** from United supports on the Liverpool thread due to Liverpool fans saying that they expect Aquilani to be in the first team yet statements like this escape any questioning?!?!?

What is it with you guys and expecting every young player that has 1 good game to be the next big thing.

CHD wrote: »
    John-Terry-heads-in-the-o-002.jpg

Terry!

ha ha ha ha ha oh no its coming right for me. Oh phew i nearly got hit with the ball.

Gotta love JOS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I like the concern shown by Lampard :)

dimage1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Good result for Chelsea tonite , utd did better than I thought. I would'nt count them out just yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Oh and referring to the Evans incident it was a sending off offense, maybe a citing?

The "peno"...dont think it was ever a peno, Valencia made a meal out of it.

A draw would have suited Arsenal fine but the head to head in a few weeks will be very interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Wasn't looking forward to today's game too much tbh. Expected an easy win for Chelsea but was happy with the lineup that SAF fielded. Our midfield defence was excellent and despite a shaky performance recently from our back 4, they fronted up well to DD and NA, reducing them to long range efforts.

Ok, so we dropped 3 points against the league leaders and they are looking really strong this year but hopefully we can put a good run together between now and Xmas (we've 6 or 7 winnable games) so that we start '10 in good shape. A couple of "new" additions (OH & possibly a Jan signing) and we'll be in the shakeup come May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Iang87 wrote: »
    ha ha ha ha ha oh no its coming right for me. Oh phew i nearly got hit with the ball.

Gotta love JOS

oh no we just got a free kick awarded when fletch clearly won the ball without question and i scored

gotta love stupid refereeing de-scions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I like the concern shown by Lampard :)

dimage1.gif

lmfao

i've seen better acting in platoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

fairly theatrical from Drogba alright, but sure tis wat we've come to expect.

it was a horrid challenge from Evans though, would imagine twas pretty sore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Iang87 wrote: »

Gotta love JOS

lol gotta love people who have nothing to cheer for this season, cheering for Chelsea :p Let's not pretend you weren't

Anyways

Disappointing result, but we outplayed Chelsea in every respect really, in spite of their superior midfield, so gotta be pleased with that

Good match anyways

Dave! wrote: »
    Disappointing result, but we outplayed Chelsea in every respect really, in spite of their superior midfield, so gotta be pleased with that

ah come on now!

you won the midfield. they were better defensively & both all the strikers were pretty ineffective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mr Alan wrote: »
    ah come on now!

you won the midfield. they were better defensively & both all the strikers were pretty ineffective.

bar the goal Evans and wes kept out the best striker in the league and another very good striker

our defenders bar the goal were superb

"the goal" is why Chelsea were better in that respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

FearDark wrote: »
    LOL, just back from the pub, did you Man Utd supporters see the same game as me!!!! That was NOT a penalty, ye had one decent chance, Chelsea converted their best chance, now shh.

Typical Utd responce to the goal, crowd around the ref and abuse him, typical ferguson reaction too.... pfft, DELIGHTED FOR CHELSEA!

Even Hansen on MOTD2 said it was a clear peno and he hates United. I think the United players disgust in conceding the goal was justified as Brown s pulled down by the epileptic Drogba and then in an off side position kicked out at the ball and was not flagged off side. oh then there was the clearly on side Rooney flagged when he was through on goal.

"the goal" is why Chelsea were better in that respect.

ya a goal that shouldnt been allowed

you said there defence was better I disagree because utd defence had to deal with alot more than chelsea's defence.

the only thing in doubt about the goal was the original free. Utd still should have defended it properly. leaving Terry free was shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

jank wrote: »
    Oh and referring to the Evans incident it was a sending off offense, maybe a citing?

The "peno"...dont think it was ever a peno, Valencia made a meal out of it.

Didn't think so at the time either but saw it from a different angle on MOTD and it was nailed on. Terry had a good grab of his shirt and pulled him down.

Thought ref was awful, decisions were generally terrible but I don't think they really favoured anyone that much.

the only thing in doubt about the goal was the original free. Utd still should have defended it properly. leaving Terry free was shocking.

So wrong there Alan. Number 1 Drogba pulled Brown down where he was in a position to clear. And number 2 Drogba was offside and interfering with play as he swung at the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

zzzzzzz

anyone who isn't eager to see United lose, or isn't a moron, realises that United were the better team

Sometimes the better team wins, sometimes they lose, sometimes it ends up favourable to us, sometimes not, that's football.

We can be happy that we matched a (on paper) much better midfield, and hope that the referee in Old Trafford won't be a handicap and maybe we'll get 3 points next time.

killwill wrote: »
    So wrong there Alan. Number 1 Drogba pulled Brown down where he was in a position to clear. And number 2 Drogba was offside and interfering with play as he swung at the ball.

he didnt "pull him down" he touched him. it wasnt a free out.

and he may have been offside when he kicked his leg out, but not when the ball left Terry/Anelkas head, Brown was playing him onside from every replay i've seen.

yes it was disappointing but its hard when drogba was pulling wes down

did chelsea really create real chances ? (bar the goal)

the same team that is scoring for fun these days. utd had to up with 2 strikers, chelsea for most of the game had to deal with one who isnt a lone striker type

and he may have been offside when he kicked his leg out, but not when the ball left Terry/Anelkas head, Brown was playing him onside from every replay i've seen.

"he touch him" ffs Alan is your hatred really clouding your judgement ?

its clear to see drogba pulling wes's arm. Wes isnt the the type to go down easy . hard man is wes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Honestly, He did pull him down. But thats the luck of the draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

ntlbell wrote: »
    lmfao

i've seen better acting in platoon

Maybe thats why the ref gave him a yellow card , to be fair what was the ref thinking :confused:

I totally disagree on both counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Just saw the goal now for the 1st time and I have to say I think it's perfectly valid (didn't see the freekick which led up to it which I heard was dodge).

VDS isn't getting anywhere near the ball whether Drogba is there or not and as far as I can see Drogba isn't blocking his line of vision from Terry's header. Not sure what the exact ruling is in terms of offside interference from a player that doesn't touch the ball but if anyone can show a rule that has been violated by Drogba for this goal then I would be interested to read it. As far as my knowledge of the rules go I would interpret that goal as valid.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

That's man marking for ya.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I have a serious problem with the way Chelsea play the game.

The playacting, timewasting, group appealing, feigning injury, discreet fouling.

There is at least 3 problems with the goal for me. The foul, tug by Drogba, the fact he is marginally offside to me when it is headed by Terry and that he is interfering with play.

The Terry foul on Valencia is just like the man, there is a distinct lack of class from the man on the pitch all too often these days.

Even as a Liverpool fan I have to agree that utd were hard done by on the penalty and offside decision.

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    oh no we just got a free kick awarded when fletch clearly won the ball without question and i scored

gotta love stupid refereeing de-scions

so when sides have frees given against them there players are expected to flinch and look away like a 5 year old girl. Fair enough,

seriously tho i only saw the free once and i thought that cole was moving the ball past fletcher and it happened to hit fletcher. He actually misses with his tackle which is what cole makes a meal of. I think in most top games that'll be given as a free, thats neither here nor there now.

If you feel hard done by try be a liverpool fan this year, ahem beachball anyone so it could be a lot worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

noodler wrote: »

The playacting, timewasting, group appealing, feigning injury, discreet fouling.
    They have been like that pretty much since Mourinho took over.
    I dont think there has ever been a group of such odious individuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Yes cause Utd or any other team for that matter doesnt group around the ref or play act or anthing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I dont know why United fans are jumping up and down saying that United were the better team. Maybe they were but whats the point, they lost the game.

The same statement were made when United beat Arsenal but the same United fans simply brushed it off as "non" arguement saying the only thing that matters is the scoreline after 90 minutes.
    You cant have your cake and eat it too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

noodler wrote: »

There is at least 3 problems with the goal for me. The foul, tug by Drogba, the fact he is marginally offside to me when it is headed by Terry and that he is interfering with play.

The Terry foul on Valencia is just like the man, there is a distinct lack of class from the man on the pitch all too often these days.

Even as a Liverpool fan I have to agree that utd were hard done by on the penalty and offside decision.

Ah come on now, i'm not a huge Terry fan but all defenders do this, its part of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Everyone see thefan with the toothbrush on MOTD...:pac: lmao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ah come on now, i'm not a huge Terry fan but all defenders do this, its part of the game.

yes and they get punished. I struggle to see the difference between the Terry foul and the one Vidic got sent off for against Liverpool last year other than it was in the box

Soby wrote: »
    Everyone see thefan with the toothbrush on MOTD...:pac: lmao

i spotted him during the match lmao then too. Whats he at like he better not start a trend in these recessionary times anything can become a trend. Farmville anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Liam O wrote: »
    yes and they get punished. I struggle to see the difference between the Terry foul and the one Vidic got sent off for against Liverpool last year other than it was in the box

Yes Terry should've been punished too, my point was in reply to the noodler that was calling Terry's character into question for commiting a foul. I was just saying all defenders do it, sometimes they get away with it sometimes they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Looking like Chelsea will take the title this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Looking like Chelsea will take the title this year.

No it doesn't.

They were 8 points clear of United at this stage last year.

I thought the match was excellent, despite the worse officiating I have seen this year.

United were the better team, Chelsea got the luck and the 3 points which is all that counts really at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Now that the initial dust has settled lets look at this in a less blurred passionate view.

Yes United should have had a penalty for JT's "tackle" on Valencia but on the same token we know how the rules change when a game is in old trafford.

The goal. No it wasn't a free kick but I can see why the ref gave it. Without replays and at full speed most ref's would have given that as Fletcher came some what around the ball. It wasn't a free but then again if it didn't lead to a goal it wouldn't be a talking point it would be just another free that went the wrong way. Sure United are lucky to have had 11 players at that point as Evans should have gone for the tackle on Drogba. Studs up, into the chest and that even after jumping about 3" in the air!

Drogba's offside for the goal. No he actually wasn't offside. Look at the pics he was onside when JT headed the ball on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont know where all this Utd were the netter team is coming from. I wont dent that Utd played really well in midfield and were solid at the back but just didnt create enough going forward, there final ball and shooting was terrible.

Asking Rooney to do a job on his own up front against Ricky and JT was a shocker IMO. It was like Utd last year in big away european games, they were trying not to lose and if they could nick something so be it. Chelsea offered more going forward and while there midifeld neer really got into it there back line was every bit as good as Utd's and even managed to defends there set pieces.

You can see how the free was given, and yet again Flethcer went around breaking up play for 90mins. Goal was a goal,no offside at all, did he pull him down, maybe, but if im wes brown linig up against Drogba you got to expect him to be strong you cant let yourself be dragged down without putting up a fight, terrible defending by Utd.

It could have been a penalty very easily, it was a stupid tackle by JT and i fully expected the ref to blow for penalty, but over the game it proved to go and even itself out, Evans on drogba and Fletcher IIRC kicking Carvalho.

Main thing is the league is far from over, not in November, but I do believe who ever is going to win the league is going to have to come above Chelsea if they want it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

lol, all the nit picking at how Chelsea are dirty or timewasters or robbed United. Would you's ever cop on. United fans are unbeleivable sometimes but you's are worried, and I love it.

Coming to the Bidge and just dealing with our full backs and defending well will rarely be enough, you weren't the better team.You's had the right approach and played well and it still wasn't enough! Get over yourselves.

Also LOL at blaming refs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

gavredking wrote: »
    Asking Rooney to do a job on his own up front against Ricky and JT was a shocker IMO.

I don't know, I thought Rooney sprung the defense more than once. Most notably where he was clearly onside and clear through but wrongly flagged off.

Plus if Berbs was fit he would have played, needs and must to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

CHD wrote: »
    lol, all the nit picking at how Chelsea are dirty or timewasters or robbed United. Would you's ever cop on. United fans are unbeleivable sometimes but you's are worried, and I love it.

Im not worried. We are the Champions and we are only 5 pts behind ye in November ffs!
    'Top 4' teams are dropping points every second week this season, plus we always come good late on;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Evans shouldn't have been on the pitch by the end of the game.

first a studs to the chest on drogba in the box - replys show it (initially it looked like drogs being his usual rolling around but no, evans caught him square on)

second for a dirty kick at carvalho after the ref blew the whistle.

meh game over all tho; better team won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

very disapointed with that result yesterday, we deserved at least a draw and would have won if we had a proven goal scorer on the pitch, thats whats uniteds problem at the moment is they dont have a clinical finisher like david Villa or torres and they dont score enough goals all over the pitch, I always felt chelsea had a goal in them because they have so many people who can score even though we dominated the game

Boggles wrote: »
    No it doesn't.

They were 8 points clear of United at this stage last year.

I thought the match was excellent, despite the worse officiating I have seen this year.

United were the better team, Chelsea got the luck and the 3 points which is all that counts really at the end of the day.

Chelsea didn't even get out of 3rd gear yesterday.

3 losses for united already. 1 more and it equals last years total.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Chelsea didn't even get out of 3rd gear yesterday.

3 losses for united already. 1 more and it equals last years total.

As long as you don't draw a whole load of games I think you can lose 5 and maybe 6 at a stretch and win it. If you draw 3 games you may as well have lost 2 of them and won one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement