Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea -v- Man United Match Thread [Mod Warning Post #1]

1101112131416»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

As I've said earlier in this thread, and again it's an opinion, but Chelsea are a classless club. They are easily the most cynical team I've ever seen. Terry and Carvalho (in particular) hacking down players on the half-way line to stop attacks

Of course Robson, Keane, Scholes, Carrick and Rooney have never and will never do anything like that...

Its the old chessnut isn't it. Drogba is a disgrace because of his antics yet Evans is a saint because of his street fighter style spinning kick attack on him in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

iregk wrote: »
    Drogba is a disgrace because of his antics yet Evans is a saint because of his street fighter style spinning kick attack on him in the first half.

If Drogba tried to play football istead of cowardly cheating again he would not have got kicked.

Evans eyes were on the ball, Evans won the ball, Evans was the only one trying to play the ball.

What was Drogba doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Boggles wrote: »
    If Drogba tried to play football istead of cowardly cheating again he would not have got kicked.

Evans eyes were on the ball, Evans won the ball, Evans was the only one trying to play the ball.

What was Drogba doing?

Boggles, while I agree with you on the Drogba issues, Evans was up in the air looked at Drogba and straightened his leg for better contact looking at the clips. You cant defend that. Drogba is a disgrace by the way.

thegen wrote: »
    Boggles, while I agree with you on the Drogba issues, Evans was up in the air looked at Drogba and straightened his leg for better contact looking at the clips. You cant defend that. Drogba is a disgrace by the way.

I can actually defend it to be fair.

Drogba quite simply attempted to take Evans at the knees mid air.

Evans had a right to defend himself. If Drogba wasn't deliberately cheating and going out of his way to injury an other player he wouldn't have got kicked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Evans had a right to defend himself. If Drogba wasn't deliberately cheating and going out of his way to injury an other player he wouldn't have got kicked.

Fair enough, you have your opinion and I'll have mine.

• Advertisement

thegen wrote: »
    Fair enough, you have your opinion and I'll have mine.

Tis the only major decision the Ref got right.

Have to say while we all are a touch biased from time to time your post is simply disgraceful Boggles. Look at it again and tell me exactly where Drogba actually went for his knee.

I have a gif I can send you, all be it on the funny side but I'd like you to show me exactly where drogba extended a leg or an arm in trying to go for Evans and then explain to me how Evans just before contact was looking straight at Drogba and extending his leg out for better contact?

Have to say while we all are a touch biased from time to time your post is simply disgraceful Boggles. Look at it again and tell me exactly where Drogba actually went for his knee.

I have a gif I can send you, all be it on the funny side but I'd like you to show me exactly where drogba extended a leg or an arm in trying to go for Evans and then explain to me how Evans just before contact was looking straight at Drogba and extending his leg out for better contact?

I don't need a gif thanks I have the video.

Evans had his eyes on the ball. Its actually how you win the ball in the air fairly.

Drogba turned his back running into a player thats in the air, he had no intention of winning the ball, he wasn't even looking at the fooking thing.

It was dangerous play which he got booked for. He knew it aswell himself, evident by his little horizontal macarena fit dance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Drogba was going nowhere near the ball, the ball was a good foot higher than he got, and headed away by Evans well before Drogba would have got close anyway. Drogba was deliberately jumping straight at a player who was in the air, with the intention of taking him out (would have been a Evans' knee height) If Drogba had continued through, he would have clashed with Evans' legs, probably spinning him in the air, it would have been very dangerous.

I do think Evans' should have seen red for what he did, but that also does not excuse Drogba intentionally trying to foul him while in mid-air (very dangerous). Both players are at fault in that incident, Evans for what he actually did and Drogba for his intentions.

IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Disgraceful? :confused:

Evans is in mid air. Drogba is not looking at the ball or attempting to win it. He is just going to run or jump into Evans who is in mid air, so more than likely Drogba is gonna make contact with his knee area. That is ****in dangerous. Evans sees what Drogba is gonna do and his instinct to protect himself makes him stick the leg out at Drogba.

If Drogba wasn't being dangerous he wouldn't have got a leg in the chest. Regardless of wether it was a red card or Drogba deserved it IMO.

Drogba should have been sent off right there, one yellow for dangerous play, and one for play acting afterwards.

• Advertisement

I don't need a gif thanks I have the video.

Evans had his eyes on the ball. Its actually how you win the ball in the air fairly.

Drogba turned his back running into a player thats in the air, he had no intention of winning the ball, he wasn't even looking at the fooking thing.

It was dangerous play which he got booked for. He knew it aswell himself, evident by his little horizontal macarena fit dance.

Evans won the ball that much I agree with. Drogba started to go for it realised he wasn't going to win it and backed out of the challenge. Look at him, arms and legs straight down not going for Evans at any point not even trying to make contact and yes turned his back which is what most do by means of protecting themselves when in the air if your not going to win it.

Seriously, look at it without the red tinted glasses. If I'm to understand your logic its fine to kick a player in the chest and then once in the stomach as long as your win the ball before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Evans won the ball that much I agree with. Drogba started to go for it realised he wasn't going to win it and backed out of the challenge. Look at him, arms and legs straight down not going for Evans at any point not even trying to make contact and yes turned his back which is what most do by means of protecting themselves when in the air if your not going to win it.

Bollox. He knew he wasn't going to win it long before he left the ground. He turned his back because he is a ****in pansy. In no way did he back out of that challenge, until he decided he had been shot mid air. Drogba was never going for ball.
    Seriously, look at it without the red tinted glasses. If I'm to understand your logic its fine to kick a player in the chest and then once in the stomach as long as your win the ball before hand.

No, but its fine to protect yourself against dangerous play. Evans could have been sent off for that, he wasn't. I still feel that what Drogba done is way more dangerous than what Evans done.

Look at him, arms and legs straight down

Seriously, your accusing me of bias and your coming out with this tripe.

He tried to foul Evans, had no intention of actually playing football, knew he was caught and tried to get out of it by pretending to be seriously injured.

Anyways it amazes me that we are discussing this one decision that the Ref actually got right, but the half dozen other major decisions which actually effected the game that he got wrong have somehow being brushed under the carpet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Drogba should have been sent off right there, one yellow for dangerous play, and one for play acting afterwards.

can a referee book a player coming back on if it clearly obvious he was not as injured as he tried to make out - would it fall under ungentlemanly conduct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Seriously, your accusing me of bias and your coming out with this tripe.

He tried to foul Evans, had no intention of actually playing football, knew he was caught and tried to get out of it by pretending to be seriously injured.

Anyways it amazes me that we are discussing this one decision that the Ref actually got right, but the half dozen other major decisions which actually effected the game that he got wrong have somehow being brushed under the carpet.

Lol.

So the ref made the right decision because while Evans kicked Drogba twice in the air Drogba may have tried to foul him in the air and potential intention is far more important than a leaping kick to the sternum.

No wonder you guys complain about the referee after every loss or draw

Honestly can't believe the united fans here. An undisputed kick to the chest and stomach is no where near as serious as a debatable intention to foul or not. Hillarious stuff lads, seriously.

In any case were never going to agree on it. Chelsea just have to be prepared now to play until the 98th minute should they find themselves 1-0 up in old trafford for the return fixture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

fergietime.jpg

Yes please

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Dave! wrote: »
    fergietime.jpg

Yes please
    Too late ;)

The BS spouted by United fans is funny but meh, they need to moan I suppose since they lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Honestly can't believe the united fans here. An undisputed kick to the chest and stomach is no where near as serious as a debatable intention to foul or not. Hillarious stuff lads, seriously.

You seem surprised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Here's a longer version of the Kung-Fu kick..

Evans on Drogba

He actually tried a second kick on the way down. :mad:

This really need to be reviewed and the yellow card removed.

And Vidic laughing at the end. Dope.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

kleefarr wrote: »

Evans on Drogba

lol, it was bad, there's no denying that. But to say attempted another kick on the way down is kind of stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Evans on Drogba

musha....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Whats worse, Vidic laughing at the end or Didier Drogbas own teammate and Chelsea Legend Frank Lampard completely ignoring and walking away during the theatrics of Drogba?

Calling Vidic a dope is just stupid because, like every other person in that stadium, bar Evans and Drogba, he thought Drogba was up to his usual tricks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

only1stevo wrote: »
    Whats worse, Vidic laughing at the end or Didier Drogbas own teammate and Chelsea Legend Frank Lampard completely ignoring and walking away during the theatrics of Drogba?

Calling Vidic a dope is just stupid because, like every other person in that stadium, bar Evans and Drogba, he thought Drogba was up to his usual tricks.
    What you want him to do? He's a footballer not a Doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

only1stevo wrote: »
    Whats worse, Vidic laughing at the end or Didier Drogbas own teammate and Chelsea Legend Frank Lampard completely ignoring the theatrics of Drogba?

I think the actions of vidic and lampard should reflect the respective reactions of sensible united and chelsea fans. United fans find the antics of drogba hilarious too, whereas chelsea fans must be mostly embarrassed at it. Of course there's always going to be those that want to be outraged at it, probably the same people who were similarly outraged at rooney's 'dive' against arsenal.

CHD wrote: »
    What you want him to do? He's a footballer not a Doctor.

Nothing, but im pretty certain had it been any of the other 9 chelsea players he would have went over to check on their wellbeing.
    Point is, Vidic laughing was more than likely the same reaction the majority of fans, without the use of Replays, would have made.

I think the actions of vidic and lampard should reflect the respective reactions of sensible united and chelsea fans. United fans find the antics of drogba hilarious too, whereas chelsea fans must be mostly embarrassed at it. Of course there's always going to be those that want to be outraged at it, probably the same people who were similarly outraged at rooney's 'dive' against arsenal.

Oh i agree 100 percent, im making the point that Vidic was not a dope for laughing.

Ok, so Drogbas reputation went before him and Vidic wasn't out of order for laughing as nobody knew how bad the tackle really was until it was shown again on a replay.
    But the fact still remains that there was no need to have feet that high and just before contact is made Evans was looking at Drogba and not the ball.
    I'm pretty sure if I was the other way around it would be reviewed for Man U.

Ok, so Drogbas reputation went before him and Vidic wasn't out of order for laughing as nobody knew how bad the tackle really was until it was shown again on a replay.
    But the fact still remains that there was no need to have feet that high and just before contact is made Evans was looking at Drogba and not the ball.
    I'm pretty sure if I was the other way around it would be reviewed for Man U.

Not once does Evans take his eyes off the ball.

If Drogba was not cheating and trying to intentially hurt a player he wouldn't have got kicked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Wow, his peripheral vision must be shocking :eek: He doesn't own a car, does he?

If Drogba was not cheating and trying to intentially hurt a player he wouldn't have got kicked.

How the hell was Drogba trying to intentionally hurt Evans?? HE didn't go in feet first at chest height.
    That's ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

drogba knew he wasn't getting the ball, and didn't stop. instead he chose to barge into evans; regardless of whether evans was going to be jumping or not.

evans of course saw drogba. to suggest he didn't because 'he only had eyes for the ball' is ludicrous. he was perfectly aware of where drogba was, and knew exactly what he was doing.

the two of them were at it. to abstain or excuse either of them completely would be ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

SlickRic wrote: »
    drogba knew he wasn't getting the ball, and didn't stop. instead he chose to barge into evans; regardless of whether evans was going to be jumping or not.

evans of course saw drogba. to suggest he didn't because 'he only had eyes for the ball' is ludicrous. he was perfectly aware of where drogba was, and knew exactly what he was doing.

the two of them were at it. to abstain or excuse either of them completely would be ridiculous.

Agreed.

have said it myself.

Evans should have seen red for what he did - but Drogba was only in that situation through trying to rough up Evans in the first place.

I do not think United fans should excuse what Evans did, and I do not think Chelsea fans should excuse what Drogba did. They were both at fault (though Evans more so as he actually succeeded in his intention)

Advertisement