Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea -v- Man United Match Thread [Mod Warning Post #1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Here's the details, sorry for not putting home teams first

Chelsea - For:24, Against: 9

L - AWAY - chelsea - 1 - wigan - 3
    W - AWAY - chelsea - 1 - apoel nicosia - 0
    W - HOME - chelsea - 2 - liverpool - 0
    L - AWAY - chelsea - 1 - aston villa - 2
    W - HOME - chelsea - 4 - ateltico - 0
    W - HOME - chelsea - 5 - blackburn - 0
    W - HOME - chelsea - 4 - bolton - 0
    W - AWAY - chelsea - 4 - bolton - 0
    D - AWAY - chelsea - 2 - ateltico - 2

ManU - For:16, Against: 11

W - AWAY - ManU - 2 - stoke - 0
    W - HOME - ManU - 2 - vfl wolfsburg - 1
    D - HOME - ManU - 2 - sunderland - 2
    W - HOME - ManU - 2 - bolton - 1
    W - AWAY - ManU - 1 - cska - 0
    L - AWAY - ManU - 0 - liverpool - 2
    W - AWAY - ManU - 2 - barnsley - 0
    W - HOME - ManU - 2 - blackburn - 0
    D - HOME - ManU - 3 - cska - 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Really think Chelsea fans are slightly over confident ahead of this game!

Chelsea have had by far the easiest fixtures so far this season and argubaly haven't faced a top team so far so it's hard to judge them on results compared to United!

They've beaten a very poor Liverpool at home, lost at Villa and drew at home
    to Porto in their toughest games so far! I know u can only beat what's in front
    of you but it's easy to get a scewed notion of a teams ability with such an easy start to the season fixture wise.

I think the two of them have shown worrying frailities defensively and Rios injury is prop a blessing in disjuise for united!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Drew to Porto? Get your facts right first. We beat them 1-0.

And that very same poor Liverpool team we beat 2-0 beat United 2-0. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Johner wrote: »

My bad on the Porto thing:D

There's a big difference playing pool in Anfield than on your home patch and as I'm sure u know Liverpool v united is more or less a derby where form goes out the window and all that!

I'm not saying Chelsea won't win just noting the general over confidence of Chelsea fans based on an easy start to the season!

As an Arsenal fan, this is gonna be the first time I'll be hoping for a win for Man U.

(I feel so durty!:P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Papa Smut wrote: »
    As an Arsenal fan, this is gonna be the first time I'll be hoping for a win for Man U.

(I feel so durty!:P)

Surely you'd want a draw?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

JPA wrote: »
    Surely you'd want a draw?
    Yeah draw please :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

As a Chelsea fan I cant believe how confident other CFC fans are - this is man utd, not bolton or blackburn!

I'll be delighted with a scabby 1-0 in the last minute

Well, my reckoning is on:

1 Chelsea 11 27
    2 Manchester United 11 25
    3 Arsenal 10 22

If Man U win:

1 Manchester United 12 28
    2 Chelsea 12 27
    3 Arsenal 10 22

(I know we're playing before but I'm just saying for this argument here we'd have 2 games in hand and 6 points behind - Even a draw leaves the top of the table on 28 points - I just have it in for Chelsea more as I think they'll be the favourites to lift the prem cup)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

Id be surprised (pleasantly) if Utd win this weekend. The midfield will be where the game is won or lost & Chelsea have such an impressive midfield. All their midfielders are very capable of scoring, are physically stronger than Utds midfield and are technically strong too.

I really really hope Carrick doesnt start, i can only see him getting lost in the game, although if he does play and has a stormer ill happily eat these words :P.

Unless Utd can raise their game and hunger for the win like liverpool did against them then i really can only see a Chelsea win.

If the right Utd team turn up then i predict maybe Utd win by the odd goal or a draw

but if Utd play like they played against Liverpool then i can see a convincing win by Chelsea.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    My bad on the Porto thing:D

There's a big difference playing pool in Anfield than on your home patch and as I'm sure u know Liverpool v united is more or less a derby where form goes out the window and all that!

I'm not saying Chelsea won't win just noting the general over confidence of Chelsea fans based on an easy start to the season!

I wouldnt say its been an easy start its been easier than United's though I'll agree with you there. November and the start of December is our real test. United home Arsenal and City away and then Everton at home. With Wolves at home and a Carling Cup Q/F tie up at Ewood in between them. Already qualifying for the knockout stages of the Champions League is a huge help. I'm not overconfident about Sunday, If I'm being honest I think it will be a draw, but have to believe we can get the win as we are at home and this isnt the best of United sides. I just think it will end up being a poor game and a scrappy 1-1 obviously I hope I'm wrong and we win 2-0. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Chelsea have had by far the easiest fixtures so far this season and argubaly haven't faced a top team so far so it's hard to judge them on results compared to United

So what constitutes a top team? Imo the top 5 teams apart from Chelsea this season are United, Arsenal, Liverpool, City & Spurs. We've only played 2 of those and won both. Basically what you're saying is we havn't played United yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Be amazed if we didn't win this one. We have a better squad than United and United's defence is looking shakier than Steven at this stage not to mention we have the genius back and with him pulling the strings I'm confident of the win.

4-1

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭goddevil

Thats a stupid comparison IMO...

By your notion, We thumped Wigan while you lost 3-1... Does that make UTD better than chelsea?

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I'm confident of the win.

4-1

Lol, ya don't say :D

Fair play to United if they pull it off, I just don't think they will. I've been preaching about how poor I think they are this season since a few games in, particularly in the middle. Essien and Lampard really SHOULD run the show on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

eddiehead wrote: »
    Lol, ya don't say :D

Fair play to United if they pull it off, I just don't think they will. I've been preaching about how poor I think they are this season since a few games in, particularly in the middle. Essien and Lampard really SHOULD run the show on Sunday.

I agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

if drogba turns up which he has most of this season chelsea will win coming from a utd fan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

VDS, Brown, Vidic, Evans, Evra, Fletch, Anderson, Carrick, Giggs, Rooney, Valencia.

4-3-3 please. I generally don't like how we play 4-3-3, but I'd be more cautious than usual, with Chelsea on a great run, and us not playing great stuff. I'd be wary of going 5 points behind too. Fletch as the deep lying midfielder of the 3. If Carrick could pull out a performance similar to the one at the San Siro last year, I think we could do it.

Berba, Obertan, Owen, Nani to spring off the bench if we need them. If we're losing after at half time or around 60 mins in, I'd throw the kitchen sink at them. I really don't know if we can afford to lose this. Might aswell lose it by 3, as lose it by 1.

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    VDS, Brown, Vidic, Evans, Evra, Fletch, Anderson, Carrick, Giggs, Rooney, Valencia.

4-3-3 please. I generally don't like how we play 4-3-3, but I'd be more cautious than usual, with Chelsea on a great run, and us not playing great stuff. I'd be wary of going 5 points behind too. Fletch as the deep lying midfielder of the 3. If Carrick could pull out a performance similar to the one at the San Siro last year, I think we could do it.

Berba, Obertan, Owen, Nani to spring off the bench if we need them. If we're losing after at half time or around 60 mins in, I'd throw the kitchen sink at them. I really don't know if we can afford to lose this. Might aswell lose it by 3, as lose it by 1.

is o shea injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Whether or not Giggs is fit and can start is going to be massive for United. Without him our wide options are very poor. Oberton maybe if Giggs doesn't make it... it's asking a lot.

Fletcher and Anderson have to start in the centre imo. If they don't, we won't be able to compete in there.

Rooney and Berbatov have to start together upfront. Those two working together are our most reliable source of chances.

That makes me say that we have to go 442.

Very nervous

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    Whether or not Giggs is fit and can start is going to be massive for United. Without him our wide options are very poor. Oberton maybe if Giggs doesn't make it... it's asking a lot.

Fletcher and Anderson have to start in the centre imo. If they don't, we won't be able to compete in there.

Rooney and Berbatov have to start together upfront. Those two working together are our most reliable source of chances.

That makes me say that we have to go 442.

Very nervous

rooney could drop back to midfield for defense and up top in attack..

goddevil wrote: »
    Thats a stupid comparison IMO...

By your notion, We thumped Wigan while you lost 3-1... Does that make UTD better than chelsea?

I was just pointing out that we beat Liverpool 2-0 and it was still a tough game no matter how poor Pool are this season they will give us a good game like they did with United. Was just a reply to whoever said Chelsea have had easy games. My comparasion wasnt about Utd lost to Pool so Chelsea are better it was just that Pool is a tough game no matter how bad a start to season they have had.

mink_man wrote: »
    rooney could drop back to midfield for defense and up top in attack..
    What does this mean?

Pro. F wrote: »
    What does this mean?

you said we have to go 4-4-2 where alot of people think fergie will go 4-5-1 with rooney on hos own but ge could play rooney and berba and drop rooney back in to midfiled when we're defending and go 4-4-2 when attacking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

This fixture fell around the same time last season, just a little earlier iirc. People were purring over the sexy football brought to the club by Scolari, United had started very unconvincingly, my memories of the match thread are similar predictions of a Chelsea steamrolling. But it was still, as these fixtures often are, tight and cagey despite the teams' respective form coming into the game.

Now I concede that Chelsea are still favourites, and I'd take a draw, but I think there's some major underestimating of United going on.

mink_man wrote: »
    you said we have to go 4-4-2 where alot of people think fergie will go 4-5-1 with rooney on hos own but ge could play rooney and berba and drop rooney back in to midfiled when we're defending and go 4-4-2 when attacking...

ah yeah i understand what your saying now. Could see Rooney being behind Berbs alright, helping out winning the ball back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Dont see us winning this, either a draw or a win for Chelsea unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

Hoping for a utd win but i reckon we'll have to make a late come back to steal a draw, given Chelsea's current form its understandable they are expecting a win but utd can always pull out a good performance on the big matches, i reckon it'll be a good match at the very least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Some major underestimation here folks! I can't see either team being clear winners, it will be a tight game. Chelsea are the favourites but IF Utd are on form then I'm going for a 2-1 win to Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Tyical Chelsea fans being arrogant. Always writing off the team who have won the same amount of top league titles in the last 3 seasons than they have in the entire history.

I'm going for Man Utd to boss the match for about 30 mins, take a lead, then defend for rest of the match, and concede a late equaliser.

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote: »
    Tyical Chelsea fans being arrogant. Always writing off the team who have won the same amount of top league titles in the last 3 seasons than they have in the entire history.

I'm going for Man Utd to boss the match for about 30 mins, take a lead, then defend for rest of the match, and concede a late equaliser.

What have the last three seasons got to do with the game on Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

oh the irony, given the rest of the post, implying they'll only get in the game when you defend too much.

chelsea fans have every right to be confident.

they're playing better than utd, have a better team man for man right now imo, and are top of the league.

for this game, they have to be considered favourites, and i've seen very few fans of theirs predicting it will be easy, maybe the odd one or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

EEE...ZAYYYY....
    EEE...ZAYYY!!
    (now thats an overly confident chelsea fan for ya!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Everything points at a Chelsea win and that very reason, I think United will it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

kinda of that same train of thought myself

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Chelski r flying at the moment, Drogba is on fire. Utd are not playing well but are scraping through in some games and their defence is looking shaky. Drogba to score 2, Cole to get another and one for utd from .... someone like Evra. 3-1 and the pressure will mount in Manchester. Long season to go though, alot more ups and downs for all the top clubs.

Everything points at a Chelsea win and that very reason, I think United will it.

Thats what I'm worried about. :(

Typical Chelsea fans being arrogant. Always writing off the team who have won the same amount of top league titles in the last 3 seasons than they have in the entire history.

But isn't pretty much everybody tipping Chelsea to win? Almost any neutral I've spoken to, plenty of neutrals on here and even a few United supporters. And what do the past 3 years have to do with the price of cabbage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Thats what I'm worried about. :(

Don't be worried. It'll be a canter. We have Joe Cole back, unstoppable

• Advertisement

It is amazing to have him back. I really hope he starts. This goal against Man Utd a few years back was unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

SlickRic wrote: »
    oh the irony, given the rest of the post, implying they'll only get in the game when you defend too much.

chelsea fans have every right to be confident.

they're playing better than utd, have a better team man for man right now imo, and are top of the league.

for this game, they have to be considered favourites, and i've seen very few fans of theirs predicting it will be easy, maybe the odd one or two.

Chelsea usually have a better team than Utd man for man, but that means very little when it comes down to it. Having said that, my head says Chelsea will walk it, while my (pure red) heart hopes we'll jam it! Either way, may the best/ jammiest team win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

will be tight like the liverpool game i think, with chelsea winning 1-0 or so

(chelsea v liverpool i mean )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

nuxxx wrote: »
    will be tight like the liverpool game i think, with chelsea winning 1-0 or so

(chelsea v liverpool i mean )

Glad you clarified that (in brackets!). Chelsea may well win, but will it make any difference in the long run? Utd constantly get turned over by the other 3 of the top 4, but are like cats & land on their feet no matter which way you drop them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I've been extremely pessimistic about United's chances all week. Somehow I feel a little better after reading this post. Not so much what was said but who said it.:pac:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Chelski r flying at the moment, Drogba is on fire. Utd are not playing well but are scraping through in some games and their defence is looking shaky. Drogba to score 2, Cole to get another and one for utd from .... someone like Evra. 3-1 and the pressure will mount in Manchester. Long season to go though, alot more ups and downs for all the top clubs.

lol there is no pressure on united and no result on Sunday will change that. Chelsea were flying this time last year the league is a marathon not a sprint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I might be wrong but dont think we have beat Chelsea at the Bridge since the 3-0 win there back in 2002. Scholes goal that day was cracker.

My predication for game is for United to sneak a point in 1-1 contest. I be surprised if United do win this one myself.

Chelsea are the form team and there home record is excellent. My worry for United is the defence which seems to be all over the place at the moment. But can see new dad Rooney netting Sunday to give the reds a share of the spoils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

everyone saying the United defense is all over the place atm, what are you basing this on? CSKA scored 3 on a second choice defense and didn't get out of their own half once Evra came on. If Vidic, O'Shea, Evans and Evra can all start then I'm not worried one little bit about having a shaky defense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

With the right team for this game i am quietly confident of a united victory here

i.e. 3 man midfield of Anderson, Fletcher and Carrick/Scholes

With Valencia and Rooney on either side of Berba so they can switch between 433 and 451, Valencia works better in this system also i feel

I will happily take stick for the opinion!

I can honestly say that with the midfield and forward line like that i would be very disappointed and surprised if we didnt get at least a draw, as i said, quietly confident of a win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I find it most amusing to see Chelsea fans on this thread so supremely confident in a team that got spanked by Wigan 3-1 not too long ago.

Chelsea might be in good form but I don't believe this team is as good as everyone is making it out to be.

I reckon United can win it by a goal. My main concern is that the referee will be Martin Atkinson, the guy who effectively screwed us in the FA Cup quarter-final game with Pompey last year. The game needs a strong ref and I'm not sure this guy is up to the task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

A lot of Man U fans were doing much the same before the Liverpool game which was just silly (and that's coming from a Man U supporter). Chelsea fans have every right to be confident given their record at SB.
    I find it most amusing to see Chelsea fans on this thread so supremely confident in a team that got spanked by Wigan 3-1 not too long ago.

Playing a team that got beat 1-0 by Burnley not so long ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement