Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea -v- Man United Match Thread [Mod Warning Post #1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I don't think I'm alone in saying that I'd take Keane in my team ahead of any of those players. And I'm being completely serious. The fact that you've listed playmakers and goalscorers as the players who make the biggest difference to a team shows how much you really know about football.

Where did I say they made the biggest difference to a team?? I didn't. I was pointing to other player who teams were and are completely reliant on for flair and skill rather than the solid base.

Boggles wrote: »
    You have it arséways, none of those players listed are a Keane.

Given a choice I would take a 23 year old Keane now over a combination of any 2 of those players.

Ok Boggles. You can have one 23 year old Keane and I'll have Messi and Ronaldo who are around the same age. Insane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Reckon Chelsea will win this one. Too strong in midfield for my liking, and I can see their front pair causing problems for a shaky United defence. Hopefully I'm proved wrong, but recent history against the big sides suggests this will be another indifferent performance from United...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Ok Boggles. You can have one 23 year old Keane and I'll have Messi and Ronaldo who are around the same age. Insane

Every day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

jaysus, its great to see this thread being 11pages in a full 23 hours before kickoff!
    anyways, down to the business of throwing an opinion of the game out.
    i think recent form will not count for much in tomorrows game, the fact remains is these are two of the top four clubs, 1st and 2nd in the current league. both teams have had their hiccups so far this season (villa/wigan and burnley/limited liverpool team on the day) so neither team can really claim to be all conquering just yet.
    chelsea have been in top form of late though, banging in goals left right and down the middle. a massive boost has been the return of joe cole who has been simply sparking anytime hes played. we are also seeing anelka and drogba linking to form a force that can terrorise any defence unit. critics may say the goals scored have been against weaker teams but a wins a win, no matter the score, and a run of wins does wonders for the confidence level for any team.
    united are currently lieing just 2points adrift so as much as id love to say they are gone to sh!t in recent weeks, i think truth be told they havent hit top form just yet but they are not doing too bad, they are in second and have shown they play until the whistle is blown.
    id have to give chelsea the favourites tag, at home to united where they havent lost to united since 2002, the form is looking very good, very few injury worries and an excellent choice of back up players on the subs bench.but i am weary though, it is united we are playing, they are still 2nd in the league, a lot of good players there to look out for, just one big performance from any one of them and we got a real game on our hands. i do think the battle is going to be played in the middle of the park, if recent meetings are anything to go by, a goal or two will be the difference.
    as a fan i hope we run absolute riot in the united half, all jokes and jibes aside(of which i am guilty of one or two!) whatever the outcome, i think its going to be some game from the premier leagues top two.

roll on sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Bet it'll be an absolutely dire game of football. :p In the end, regardless of the outcome, football will have lost. ;) Just joshin, although I can't remember an entertaining Utd vs Chelsea game since Chelsea last won the title. I'd like Chelsea to win, because I'm getting sick of my United following friends annoying me.

Realistically though, I can see Utd pulling a win out of the bag. They are the most mentally strong team in world football, and even if they were missing most of their stars, and without performing well, they are a class act and can pull important performances out of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Every day of the week.

So you would rather have Roy Keane in your team than Messi and Ronaldo?

Johner wrote: »
    So you would rather have Roy Keane in your team than Messi and Ronaldo?

Everyday of the week.

Messi and Ronaldo while quite rare talents do come along every now and then.

Keane was a once in a generation player and it could be along time before we see someone like him again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Everyday of the week.

Messi and Ronaldo while quite rare talents do come along every now and then.

Keane was a once in a generation player and it could be along time before we see someone like him again.

Essien?

And there was plenty of brilliant defensive midfielders around the time of Roy Keane. He was quality no doubt but I can think of 3 of the top of my head,Viera,Deschamps and Makalele.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

United always perform when their backs are against the wall.
    I think Fergie is absolutely delighted that we are underdogs going into this, and rightly so.
    Chelsea are playing fantastic stuff and scoring goals for fun.
    However, games like this throw the form guide out the door.
    Berbatov has a habit of scoring against Chelsea too and he is also in form!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Essien?

And there was plenty of brilliant defensive midfielders around the time of Roy Keane. He was quality no doubt but I can think of 3 of the top of my head,Viera,Deschamps and Makalele.

makalele? huh?

who would he lead? i've never heard him open his mouth about anything.

keane brought so much more to a team, his leadership and the confidence he put in the players around him and his ability to grab a game by the scruff was next to none.

you could possibly make an argument for viera but there there was no one else that brought what keane brought to any team in his generation

you just can't teach/buy/bottle the attitude roy keane had towards football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

While not a huge fan of Keane for several reasons I have to admit he was simply the best of his generation and his display against France in Landsdowne when he single handidly (sp) toook on Viers, Makele and Zidane and came out the better of the three of them was one of the finest displays I have seen in my lifetime. Id still have Messi though.

should this thread not be sticking to the topic that is the all important and (ahem) season defining game (ahem) and not a whos a better player thread?

KAMON THE BLUES!

thegen wrote: »
    While not a huge fan of Keane for several reasons I have to admit he was simply the best of his generation and his display against France in Landsdowne when he single handidly (sp) toook on Viers, Makele and Zidane and came out the better of the three of them was one of the finest displays I have seen in my lifetime. Id still have Messi though.

Like Boggles said he'd take Keane at 23 over Messi and Ronaldo who at 23 have won Champion's Leagues, domestic titles, World and European Players of the year golden boots and so on. Keane had just left Nottingham Forest. Like I said, insane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

season defining ???????????????

What about the other thirty seven games do they count for nothing.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Like Boggles said he'd take Keane at 23 over Messi and Ronaldo who at 23 have won Champion's Leagues, domestic titles, World and European Players of the year golden boots and so on. Keane had just left Nottingham Forest. Like I said, insane

Again, Every day of the week.

season defining ???????????????

hawwh haww, eye of an eagle i see.
    allow me to explain to you fellow boards poster, i was merely trying to drag this topic right back on course, and used such bold words as "season defining" to get the readers attention and thus compel the reader to make a reply which would be in relation to the topic that is the game tomorrow, which would in turn dirvert the readers attention away from previous posts regarding the great "whos is a better player" debate that had been creeping into the thread.. hence the use of the ahem's either side of the earlier bold statement...

so in other words, itsa joke son, dont ya getit?...

(im guna get banned now arent i?!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Bubs101 going totally against his usual gimmick in this thread.

Interesting.

On form Chelsea should take this quite easily against a very weak united defence.

Fletcher will be pivitol for united.

I'm going with 2-1 to the blues with Vidic sent off again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

weird wanting a draw or Utd win! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Essien?

Vieira was probably the closest thing to United in the Premier League era but I personally would put Keane above him every day of the week.
    As for going on about Messi and Ronaldo, Keane and Scholes in the late nineties would be my pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Mr Alan wrote: »
    weird wanting a draw or Utd win! :o

im actually curious as to why?

it cant be what i think it is surely! :eek:

if Liverpool want to finish as close to the top as possible, better to not have Chelsea start to run away with the league.

if Liverpool want to finish as close to the top as possible, better to not have Chelsea start to run away with the league.

Oh thank god!

And welcome at last, cheer for a united win! you know it feels good :)

why wat did you think was the reason?

why wat did you think was the reason?

i wont be getting into it with you, but i had an awful thought that maybe you wanted a united win or draw so as chelsea wouldnt get further ahead of ye so ye still have a chance of winning the league

imo you dont, regardless of what happens tomorrow. if your opinion is different thats cool!

at the moment, we dont.

but ya never know, tis a long season to go yet ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

at the moment, we dont.

but ya never know, tis a long season to go yet ;)

at the moment you don't have a chance of winning the league in May,
    but if things change you might have a chance of winning the league in May?

computer says no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

2-1 to Utd :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Again, Every day of the week.

ah ya but that is just because we have hindsight and knwo what a great player keano goes onto become. at 23 when he was just about to join utd you cannot say he was a better player than ronnie or messi at 23!! then again i dont even knwo why im bothering talking to a brick wall that just spends it time on here trying to wind people up constantly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

3-1 Chelsea:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

They were saying on the Sunday Supplement that it might be Owen starting instead of Berba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

They were saying on the Sunday Supplement that it might be Owen starting instead of Berba.

ya I was watching that

I wouldnt mind Owen starting, one thing with owen you know he'll get chances to score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'd go for Anderson, Fletcher and Carrick to slug it out in centre midfield, and allow Berbatov, Rooney and Giggs do whatever they want.

Headshot wrote: »
    ya I was watching that

I wouldnt mind Owen starting, one thing with owen you know he'll get chances to score
    I agree, in fact I wouldn't mind Owen starting most games, but then again I am an Owen fanboy.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Not feeling confident about this at all

Should be a good game though

Looking forward to it though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

A draw would be ideal, however I can't see past a Chelsea win. If Drogba turns up then I think the Man U defence is in for a rough ride. I'll say..........2-0 to Chelsea with Lamps and Drogba getting the goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I was glad to see them rubbishing the Rooney story whilst all the while the guy from the NOTW sat there trying to justify the nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Wouldn't listen to a word those guys say in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I don't like the way roy keane gets lavish praise as a footballer for being one in a million . He is one in a million he's just a more talented version of Joey Barton. He was a thug playing football nothing inspiring or what ever about it.

Great leader , Good Player but got way to much praise for effectively being a thug.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    Wouldn't listen to a word those guys say in fairness.
    They were only saying it because Berbs may be kept out by injury.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    A draw would be ideal, however I can't see past a Chelsea win. If Drogba turns up then I think the Man U defence is in for a rough ride. I'll say..........2-0 to Chelsea with Lamps and Drogba getting the goals.

Has Drogba ever scored against United?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I don't like the way roy keane gets lavish praise as a footballer for being one in a million . He is one in a million he's just a more talented version of Joey Barton. He was a thug playing football nothing inspiring or what ever about it.

Great leader , Good Player but got way to much praise for effectively being a thug.
    Keane is a legend and a great footballer.A thug? He was the midfield tough man. Football is going to become a non contact sport soon full of wingers who dive if you sneeze on them!

When you make those important tackles and boss the midfield that is inspiring, saying he wasn't inspiring is loltastic. Why am i even replying to this nonsense!

C'mon Chelsea !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Has Drogba ever scored against United?
    Go on, tell me why this is important.

BTW he got this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

CHD wrote: »
    Keane is a legend and a great footballer.A thug? He was the midfield tough man. Football is going to become a non contact sport soon full of wingers who dive if you sneeze on them!

When you make those important tackles and boss the midfield that is inspiring, saying he wasn't inspiring is loltastic. Why am i even replying to this nonsense!

C'mon Chelsea !!
    Worded that bit wrong, I mean there's nothing inspiring in a dirty tackle. In terms of getting a team riled up he was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Chelsea should win but I believe Deco is ordinary and if on, it's to Utd's advantage.Hope it's hot and intense.Drogba to bag a few?

CHD wrote: »
    Go on, tell me why this is important.

BTW he got this one.

Couldn't remember if he did not.

Thanks by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Chelsea to win 2-0.

I cant see United winning today, hoping for a draw but if they couldnt get themself psyched up for the liverpool game, I cant see them suddently finding inspiration for this one. Chelsea being the form team, and drogba the form player... with our CB partership out meh, only one outcome imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

hoping for a chelsea win, still dont think united are any good yet this year and chelsea could do damage however can united ever be written off in any game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Glad to see some Liverpool fans finally getting it into the their that the best thing that can happen for them in this game is a United victory/draw.

At this stage, I'm very nervous, as I always am before these big games. I think Fletcher if he plays will make a big difference. We'll be much stronger than we were against Liverpool.

• Advertisement
Advertisement