Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Garmin Nuvi 600 @ Halfords.

Options
  • 05-11-2009 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

If anyone is looking for a cheap Garmin Sat Nav, this may be for you.

I picked up a, discontinued, Nuvi 600, brand new, in Halford (Letterkenny) for €63.00. Charged it up, hooked it up to the net, and got my free update to the 2010-20 UK & Irl maps. Can't really complain!

The 600 only has enough internal memory for the UK & IRL regional maps, but it has an SD card slot for further maps. Has MP3 & Jpeg viewer, but no bluethooth or FM transmitter. It is the older widescreen model, with the pop-up antenna, giving a great reception.

Only downside, the power supply uses the older Garmin plug, instead of the mini usb plug used now, but this is not really a problem, just thought I'd mention it.

The Letterkenny branch had another 2 in stock, and there may be more around the country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 candoken

That's a good price - I've had a 660 (with the fm radio and bluetooth - which I don't use) for a few years and they are rock solid devices.

I have seen a few sites which show the later 760 model side by side with the 660 and the 660 appears to get better satellite reception because of the pop out antenna).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Many thanks for the info, good price alright.
    mrmac wrote: »
    Only downside, the power supply uses the older Garmin plug, instead of the mini usb plug used now, but this is not really a problem, just thought I'd mention it.

Is it safe to assume that any GPS device with a mini USB socket can be charged/run from any mini USB car adaptor plug? Are the expected voltages on the pins always the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Sorry for not spotting this earlier!

Yes, any car charger, with a mini usb plug, will charge any GPS with a mini usb socket.
    The car charger should drop the voltage from 12v to the standard usb 5v.

However, (ah nuts!), on older Garmin models, that used a specific Garmin type plug/socket, you have another issue. These units do have a mini usb port, which is used to connect to a pc, and can charge the unit while connected to a pc, but the unit goes into "communication mode", and cannot be used as a sat nav! So if you try to use a mini usb car charger, it will charge the sat nav, but you won't be able to use it at the same time :(

I believe this has something to do with the grounding of a certain pin in the Garmin mini usb port, blah, blah, blah, blah zzzzzzzzzzzzz! Feel free to google it :)

I know that this affects the nuvi 300 and the 600 range, but I think all the newer models, 200, 700, 800, 1200, 1300 and 1400 range all use the mini usb port to power them as well. In fact, any model without a pop-up antenna, should be fine.

Again, can't help you with TomTom.

Advertisement