Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East End Soya chunks

Options
  • 05-11-2009 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Does anybody use these. The instructions say they have to be soaked for five to eight hours, boiled for half an hour and then simmered for an hour and a half.
    Is all that preparation necessary.. they seem tender after the initial soaking. Or am I misunderstanding the instructions. maybe you only have to do one of the above?

Comments

I've not seen this particular product, but if it is dried tofu.
    It would seem more likely that it was either or.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Franner

No it's not tofu based afaik.
    It could be either/or and that the instructions are badly written

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

maybe all this extra preparation just makes them extra tastey :) Unles they have any ingredients like hidden kidney beans that would poison you without proper cooking, but this is not the case :)

Franner wrote: »
    No it's not tofu based afaik.
    It could be either/or and that the instructions are badly written

Soya curd is tofu.

I've had dried soya cutlets from eastern european shops.
    And you soak them overnight.

This sounds similar.

Come back and tell us if they are tasty!

They're very tasty. I've had them before in Indian vegan buffets in England and at Indian stalls at festivals. Delicious in curries etc. Only place I've seen them for sale in Ireland is in Asian type grocer on Phibsboro Road.
    Still not sure about all that prep time.. just seems excessive!

• Advertisement

They're very tasty. I've had them before in Indian vegan buffets in England and at Indian stalls at festivals. Delicious in curries etc. Only place I've seen them for sale in Ireland is in Asian type grocer on Phibsboro Road.
    Still not sure about all that prep time.. just seems excessive!

Is that the one beside that scarey pub Doyles? Across from the internet cafes?

it's near Doyles.. heading down towards Constitution Hill. There are two Asian grocers on the the left, it's one of those. It's a great little shop imo.. Jamaican ginger beer, soya chunks, halloumi and loads of other good ****.
    Dr Quirkes is across the road.

Nothing scary about Doyles btw :)

it's near Doyles.. heading down towards Constitution Hill. There are two Asian grocers on the the left, it's one of those. It's a great little shop imo.. Jamaican ginger beer, soya chunks, halloumi and loads of other good ****.
    Dr Quirkes is across the road.

Nothing scary about Doyles btw :)

Yes well places with people who wear outfits made of neon lyrca, and threaten to beat me. Are a bit scarey. :o:o
    As is stumbling across that Dr. Quirkeys slightly worse for wear....when your a god( or more appropiately Devil) fearing culchie and have no idea about the Quirkey concept. :P
    Wasn't there an outbreak of TB sourced back to Doyles a couple of years ago?

I do like Phibsboro though, thanks for the tip off. <3 Ginger beer.
    The eastern european shop, up beside the prodestant church. Has the best milka products too.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Yes well places with people who wear outfits made of neon lyrca, and threaten to beat me. Are a bit scarey. :o:o
    A

Fair enough, I can't argue with that.
    I'm not denying it's a kip.. dunno about the TB though
    The russian shop also does good smoked cheese.. I'll check out the milka products next time I'm there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

AFAIK, these are TVP chunks, which you normally pour boiling water over and leave for 10-20 mins, then flavour up/cook as a meat substitute. I saw that myself and thought it was a bit OTT, so didn't buy them.
    They're relatively cheap, so you could always start by boiling a small amount for 10-15 mins, to kill any toxins, as you would with actual soya beans. If you're alive the next morning, you're go to go.:D

Hang on, those are the preparation instructions for cooking actual dried soy beans, which take forever, even after an overnight soak!

Have a look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textured_vegetable_protein
    to see whether we're talking about the same product and if so, the extrusion process involves "cooking", so all you really need to do is pour the boiling water over and leave to rehydrate. I volume soy mince/chunks to 2/3s volume boiling water.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement