Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rottweiler Pup Wanted

Options
  • 05-11-2009 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi, I am after a good healthy young Rottweiler pup, willing to wait for right dog. It MUST be off LARGE Big Boned stock, couldn't care less about showing. I remember attending a Championship Show around 1984/5 and a lady from Eire entered a BIG Dog. Obviously it never got any prize, as the established Kennels in UK were trying to breed the dogs smaller after bad publicity. This though is the type of Dog I am after. Not the animals now seen at lots of shows. It will have a country home and be raised with other animals, sheep, cows, hens, ducks etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

hey there - don't want to upset you - but most people on here would want to know why such a dog and why does it need to be BIG - i have no problems with people wanting big dogs, in fact i am specifically keeping the biggest of my pups (German Shep/Newfoundland) just cos he is the biggest ;o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I'd assume it'd need to be a big, tough dog if it was on site with large livestock such as cattle?

Not every reason for wanting a big dog comes down to wanting to look tough. Perhaps the OP just likes the breed and has considered the practicality of farm life. One, cattle are tough, and two.. he obviously has a lot of livestock to protect. The sight of a big dog would scare off intruders and protect his herd.

Or at least that's what sprang to my mind right off the bat.

Getting sick of how quick people are to jump down others' throats and immediately assume the worst here sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Albannach

Hi Paul, I just think that the powers that be in the Breeders/Show fraternity have "shrunk" their dogs to comply with what was seen to be winning in the UK. I've had Rotts since around 1982 and lost my last Dog earlier this year, he was 10. Prior to that I remember attending a Championship Show around 1990 with my Bitch on a lead and standing next to a guy with a Dog. He asked me rather sharply to move my "dog" as his Dog did not like other Males being near him. Huh? When I pointed out that it was a Female Rott I had on a lead he got very red. My Bitch was actually way more substantial than his Dog. By the way, although she was a lovely Big Bitch, she did win in the Ring at CC show level. Sadly she has been dead for 14 years. At the same time I had a flock of sheep and both my Rotts could work them, in a fashion. It is all in how they are reared, bad owners get badly behaved dogs, usually. Earn their respect and you have a great companion for life.

liah wrote: »
    I'd assume it'd need to be a big, tough dog if it was on site with large livestock such as cattle?

it's a country home not a farm
    INot every reason for wanting a big dog comes down to wanting to look tough. Perhaps the OP just likes the breed and has considered the practicality of farm life. One, cattle are tough, and two.. he obviously has a lot of livestock to protect. The sight of a big dog would scare off intruders and protect his herd.

So you're assuming he wants it as a guard dog? maybe like me he is a big person and wants a big dog so he can stroke it without bending down
    Getting sick of how quick people are to jump down others' throats and immediately assume the worst here sometimes

i merely asked to clarified and quantified and did not assume the worse - don't jump down my throat and assume what i am thinking

Albannach wrote: »
    Hi Paul, I just think that the powers that be in the Breeders/Show fraternity have "shrunk" their dogs to comply with what was seen to be winning in the UK. I've had Rotts since around 1982 and lost my last Dog earlier this year, he was 10. Prior to that I remember attending a Championship Show around 1990 with my Bitch on a lead and standing next to a guy with a Dog. He asked me rather sharply to move my "dog" as his Dog did not like other Males being near him. Huh? When I pointed out that it was a Female Rott I had on a lead he got very red. My Bitch was actually way more substantial than his Dog. By the way, although she was a lovely Big Bitch, she did win in the Ring at CC show level. Sadly she has been dead for 14 years. At the same time I had a flock of sheep and both my Rotts could work them, in a fashion. It is all in how they are reared, bad owners get badly behaved dogs, usually. Earn their respect and you have a great companion for life.

Cheers Albannach - sorry to ask but it's sometimes best to clear these things up before people assume the worst, like you's want it as a guard dog :rolleyes: the German Sheperd i have is currently 83lbs and gaining - she came to me 5 weeks pregnant at 69lbs (litter of 6 pups 7 weeks ago) anyway she is well beyond the breed standard and i like it that way - as long as she's healthy and happy i don't care how big she is - the bigger the better :D

• Advertisement

For what it's worth....I've got about 22 acres of land, bordered by a river. Lots of room to exercise a dog. I've never had a FAT dog in my life as they were all active.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi there, i own and show my rottie. Theres a litter due up north at the moment from the Vorzeigen Kennels so maybe contact them and see how the pups turn out.

You will find it very hard to find a very BIG rottweiler as decent breeders will be breeding for health and type and an overly big one wouldnt be the standard.

When on earth did I say anything about it being a guard dog?

I said it'd do well to protect livestock (also, I never said he had a big farm, but he did state he had livestock including cows and sheep, thus drawing my conclusion, which I even pre-empted with "perhaps," indicating that it was an EXAMPLE rather than an assumption as to why he'd need it). Meaning, from other dogs, wildlife, as well as giving a visual against any idiot passersby who may think cow tipping is a fun hobby.

I was defending the guy's potential reasons, same as you, generally posters here jump all over anyone the second they mention the words "big" and "dog" together assuming they just wanna look tough.

I love big dogs too. Have a shep, a bernese mountain, and a shep x collie.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I know you said you want a pup, but about two weeks ago the DSPCA had a beautiful and huge Rotty bitch. Lovely dog, great temperament. Not sure if she's still there.

I was defending the guy, generally posters here jump all over anyone the second they mention the words "big" and "dog" together assuming they just wanna look tough.

if you'll re-read my original post you will see i was not jumping on anyone, i too know how this forum can work and merely tried to intervene before he got jumped on in the politest way i could, if you had left it alone all would be fine as Albannach came back to me.

• Advertisement

Paul91 wrote: »
    if you'll re-read my original post you will see i was not jumping on anyone, i too know how this forum can work and merely tried to intervene before he got jumped on in the politest way i could, if you had left it alone all would be fine as Albannach came back to me.

I think you just took me up wrong tbh. I was doing the exact same thing you were; pre-empting the "flood." I was agreeing with you, and throwing out possible positive reasons he'd want a Rottie so hopefully the anti-everything brigade would read it before coming up with some rant about skangers and tough dogs or something.

In other words, we're on the same page. :)

http://www.irishanimals.ie/rottiedobie_homes.html

can try here - details all rescue rottie's from across the country - well a lot of them

Hi Andreac, I think you are wrong to assume that Big Rotts are unhealthy Rotts. I was showing and breeding Rotts in the early 80s and my Rotts, while being big, were just the normal size for the time. I stopped showing when a certain "expert" of the Breed who wrote in Dog World at the time started to put forward dogs the size of Corgis. IMO the breed has gone down since then. They have certainly led to a smaller type of Rott at shows. I just want a large healthy dog to keep me company in my retirement. I don't want to parade it round town on a lead saying look at macho man and his big dog. I am too old to set out on some ego trip with a dog.
    Regarding your friend in the North with the litter, no offence to him as I've no doubt he has some nice looking dogs, but I have one of the TOP winners in the Show Ring over the last 25 years on my doorstep and I would go to him if I wanted a show specimen as a pet/companion. I don't want a show type dog, I want a "throwback" to an earlier type of dog, if there are any out there. I have even contemplated going to what was formerly Yugoslavia, as I've heard they still have large Rotts there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hold on, i never said they were un healthy at all, just the people breeding at the mo would be breeding for the current breed standard, thats all:)

Well, you might need to go to europe then to find the type of dog you are looking for as i doubt you will find it in ireland.

Just as a matter of interest, what size was the rottie you had, as in weight, height, etc, as id be interested to know how much they have decreased in size over the years.

Im only new to rotties, i have only one and hes a 50kg male at present and still has a small bit of filling out to do, but not much more. Hes on the rottweilerclubofireland.com site if you want to have a look at him.:)

Oh i wonder who the person is you are talking about as i know all the top kennels in rotties. My fella is sired by one of the top sires in rotties in ireland at the mo, hes on the site too.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

i heard this with boxers too from a breeder who stopped because she liked the boxers big and they where being bred and showed smaller and smaller

Advertisement