Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just Married, 2 Houses, Must we sell one within 12mths to avoid CGT?

• 05-11-2009 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi all, just joined, primarily to see if I can get an answer to this;

I've just got married and like some 'slightly' older couples we each own a house.
    I am working away from my Principle Private Residence at present.
    We are both paying PAYE at the upper limit.

Q - Are we immediately assumed to be living in the one house automatically by revenue?

Q - If so, does this mean that if we dispose of one house the owner will be subject to CGT? Unless it is disposed off within the 12mths exemption. i.e. are we forced to sell one house within 12mths so that we will not be subject to CGT?

The thing is, in the current climate we would prefer to keep both houses, not rented, until the market recovers, which could be in a few years.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

I think Revenue would say that if you are a married couple living together, then you can only have 1 PPR and CGT would potentially be payable on the sale of the non PPR.

However, when calculating the CGT due on the sale of a house which was a PPR at one stage, your taxable gain is reduced by the proportion of time of the total period of ownership when the house was your PPR. For example, if the house was your PPR for 5 years and you then rent the house for 5 years, you would only be taxable on 4/10s of the gain, i.e. the first 5 years + 12 months is exempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Property and CGT are always matter to be dealt with by a professional.

Thread closed.

Read the charter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement