Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge Animal Welfare Bill March & Rally 2009

Options
  • 05-11-2009 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

as usual, the forbidden is most inviting! there is a locked thread with the same name as this one, just wondering whats it about (obviously a rally for animal welfare bill) but what exactly are the main points of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The proposed AWB will hopefully be similar to legislation in Scotland. One of the key areas is to lower the threshold at which an act of cruelty is committed. At the moment cruelty has to be pretty serious & neglect is not often perceived as cruelty. The new act should address this.

None of us know what the draft bill will contain. Many welfare organisations submitted their suggestions last year but we do not know which ones have been written into the bill.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The thread was locked for the sole reason that the user in question only has 5 posts on boards and all 5 of them are about various rallys that his organisation has arranged.

This goes against boards rules as a whole and not just this forums rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Is it ok to talk about it in this thread? I'd like some more info but obviously if you don't want the thread, I don't want to be asking :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

No problem discussing it at all.Personally Im all up for the idea of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It will be somewhat difficult to discuss this as it is being arranged by an organisation that we are not allowed to refer to.

It would appear that it is a general animal rights march rather than focusing just on the AWB. I would sometimes support protest, but in this case, it is not the best approach. Dublin is going to full of protests leading up to the budget & many people will just not see that animal rights should be a priority right now.

I would suggest that if all of the protesters lobbied the Greens then the AWB might stand a better chance. The Greens desperately need to regain support before they disappear from government & the AWB would not incur costs to the state.

Even if the AWB goes through it is likely to be a very diluted version. Matty Mc Grath (of a drink can make you a better driver fame) has already got the Greens to drop a ban on Hare Coursing. The plan was for all Ireland legislation but this is unlikely as the North want to have a much higher standard regarding welfare than we will accept.

• Advertisement
Advertisement