Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The effect other forum members have on your photography

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I am one of those photographers that real photographers hate. No photography experience, got entry level dslr and photoshop to patch up my photography errors.

I think that sums up the majority of posters in here too. It's a great way to learn.
    Anyway back to the original topic I love these boards because there's such a varity of types photography experience. I mainly shoot families but if I ever shoot anything else I come on here to find how others do it well and copy them. :)

Sounds fine, as long as we can also copy your style and work. :D Mind you, that might take a lot of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

Paulw wrote: »
    Sounds fine, as long as we can also copy your style and work. :D Mind you, that might take a lot of work.
    No problem at all. Just don't do it better:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Mostly get disheartened by posts/comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

TelePaul wrote: »
    Mostly get disheartened by posts/comments

Why?

nilhg wrote: »
    Like all the others who've posted here I've learned a lot form the kind folks on here, and there are many on here who's work I really admire (too many to individually mention) but if I had to pick one who I would say inspired me it would have to be Noah Grey (greysoul on here).
    I only met him once, he arrived to the first Charleville Castle meet with SineadW and Elven and I don't believe I heard him speak 10 words all day but seeing his pictures and reading his report on the day was eyeopening.
    He hasn't posted here in quite a while, so I hope he's OK and will feel able to put his site up again soon.

Absolutely agree. I was lucky to develop a friendship with Noah after that visit. He is an amazing person and photographer. I haven't heard from him either but there is somebody in Austin, Texas who drops into have a look at my blog fairly regularly. I suspect it might be him. I hope so and that he is keeping well.

If you do happen on this Noah. Our best wishes go to you.

There really are 8 or 9 people on here whose work I think is first class. Mentioning names simply means forgetting someone so I'm not going to do it. There are at least three who I would rate as good as it gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Valentia wrote: »
    There are at least three who I would rate as good as myself.

Fixed!

Covey wrote: »
    In answer to the original question - none.

Seriously? Not even in tempting you to give the odd landscape a lash? It would be pretty sad if some of the stuff here hadn't made even a tiny ripple.

Fixed!

That is so not the case :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Shame on me, I am being influenced by every single post I read, every picture I see and every advice I don't understand.
    Thank you all for your influence. And if you win lotto, keep influencing me even more, please ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Valentia wrote:
    There are at least three who I would rate as good as myself.
    Fixed!
    That is so not the case :(

So ... you're saying that they're NOT as good as yourself :confused:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Seriously? Not even in tempting you to give the odd landscape a lash? It would be pretty sad if some of the stuff here hadn't made even a tiny ripple.

Absolutely serious.

I don't frequent here or anywhere else for that matter to be influenced photographically. I try and do my own thing as best I can.

Thats not to infer I don't like some of the stuff posted here, I do, I even like some of the photographers posting here ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I don't frequent here or anywhere else for that matter to be influenced photographically. I try and do my own thing as best I can.

To be honest, I think that's quite impossible, as in not to be influenced by other photographers, whether they are people you know, people you read about, or images used in media - If you're looking at images, they'll have an influence on you - Even if it just helps you decide what you absolutely abhor in a photograph :)

It's also good to look at other images if you want to do your own thing - Otherwise you could be doing everyone elses thing without knowing it... ;)

My interpretation of the question was influence in a positive not negative fashion. Maybe thats too narrow though!

In that narrow interpretation I stand by that statement, no one on Boards has influenced me, that I'm aware of. Of course I look at a wide variety of stuff and am influenced by lots of other people.

I admire a lot of the stuff I see on here of course. Maybe I've been subliminally influenced and will morph into a poor mans version of AR or Oshead at some point, who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

...will morph into a poor mans version of AR ...

I very doubt so :D

Matter of fact he's heading into tomorrow nights gig with me. :)

• Advertisement

ThOnda wrote: »
    I very doubt so :D

I wouldn't be too unhappy with that. I' m not into gig shots generally , but love AR's stuff.

He'll be my caddy, holding my bag and handing the lens over to me during changeovers. :cool:

Matter of fact he's heading into tomorrow nights gig with me. :)

Well I didn't get the invite, but I'm up for that !

Fibbers Parnell street!

Total noob, need a how to and what to guide? And no, I'm not your bloody photo caddy:D

• Advertisement

When you walk down O'Connell street you take the right into Parnell street and it's 4-5 doors up, few East European bouncers on the door is the giveaway.

The "how to" and "what to" were photographic questions !. PM me rather than spoil the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Most of the sports photographers on here,Kensutz,Ballyman,PaulW and the others who's names I can't remember :)

I'd love to spend more time in Sports photography(and will at some point) but i'm struggling to find macthes going on during my free time down here in Cork,So i'm being very inactive...

I think at one point or other everybodies photo's have influenced me,Chances are I won't remember who took it,But I've looked at it and thought "I'd love to get a shot like that",So thanks to all those people :)

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Most of the sports photographers on here,Kensutz,Ballyman,PaulW and the others who's names I can't remember :)
    City Exile is the name you're looking for I do believe.
    He gave me my 1st ever Sports C&C and was brutal, but I learned from it and appreciated it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

City Exile is the name you're looking for I do believe.
    He gave me my 1st ever Sports C&C and was brutal, but I learned from it and appreciated it.

That's the name!Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

PaulW and the other sports photographers on here.

Agree with Pauls first post here in so far as when you put something up for c&c its usually very fair.

Everyone can be an inspiration here depending on the mood you are in. I just enjoy looking at images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

the ones who helped me most would be from 3 years ago, when I re-started (after 15 years) , in particular Al, elven, danny and sinead - sure i've forgotten someone - 2 years ago i then went of a tangent on my own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

To throw in with my 2 cents here. Thanks for the mention earlier guys. It hardly deserved.

Anyway.... the ones who I find have most influenced me in recent times from these boards are Borderfox and Kjt.

Borderfox for his skill with the camera. Very decisive and knows what he's after. Some amazing shots too. Particularly this and this.

Kjt for his enthusiasm, energy and ambition. Unparalled IMO. My favourite of his are these excellent shots here and here.

On a broader note, those I admire for producing consistently very high quality imagery, well..... you know who you are, too many to mention. I'd hate to leave anyone out. ;)

Keep it up folks.

Advertisement