Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTV Europe Music Awards 2009

Options
  • 05-11-2009 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Coldplay, Leona Lewis and Robbie Williams are among the acts flying the flag for the UK as they compete at the MTV Europe Music Awards.

They line up against US stars such as Kings Of Leon and Lady GaGa at the star-studded ceremony.

The show is being held at the O2 World in Berlin and screened live by MTV to millions of viewers across Europe.

Beyonce, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Shakira and nominee Lewis will all be performing.

Robbie Williams has withdrawn due to a "schedule clash" but he is still in the running for best male against Eminem, Jay-Z, Kanye West and Mika.

Lewis is carrying British expectations in the best female category against Beyonce, Katy Perry, Lady GaGa and Shakira.

No British acts have managed a nomination in the best group category but Coldplay are shortlisted for "best world stage performance" against Kid Rock, Kings of Leon, Lady GaGa and Linkin Park.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Is there any decent people performing live? If not I will give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Cant believe Jedward were over looked for best live act.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

I will be getting on my Union Jack boxers on to show my support for those acts flying the flag for the UK.

Come on people they need our support....... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

HUSBAND-AND-WIFE team Jay-Z and Beyonce were crowned King and Queen of MTV last night, after winning four awards between them.
    Crazy In Love singer Beyonce walked off with a hat-trick of MTV Europe Music Awards.
    Her track Halo won the award for Best Song, while she also trooped off with Best Female and Best Video for her single Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) at the event in Berlin.
    Jay-Z made do with the Best Urban award.
    As she collected the award for Best Video, Beyonce dedicated the award to her husband.
    Holding the award aloft, she told the audience at the O2 World in Berlin: "OK, there is only one person I want to thank and that is Jay for putting a ring on it."
    Both performed at the star-studded event, which also marked the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin wall.
    Among the other winners was Lady Gaga, who collected a Best New Act award before praising Beyonce as the inspiration behind her career.
    The Poker Face star admitted she had become jaded meeting legendary artists until she hooked up with the Crazy In Love hitmaker for the R&B singer's latest single, Video Phone.
    She said: "You know she is such a beautiful person, and I gotta tell you, I just adore her.
    "I had kind of lost faith a little bit in meeting artists in the business - and then I met Beyonce. She is a real, real woman.
    "I have never laughed so hard on a video set in my life. We had the best time doing Video Phone."
    U2 won Best Live Act after performing for 10,000 fans at the Brandenburg Gate, and chart-topper Pixie Lott got the award for Best Push Artist.
    She wasn't the only Brit to win - Scots singer Brian Molko's band Placebo won the Best Alternative Rock category.
    Best European Act went to Turkish rap-rock group MaNga and German band Tokio Hotel won Best Group.
    Despite a relatively low-key year, rapper Eminem was voted Best Male and US punk-pop trio Green Day won the Best Rock category.
    Actor David Hasselhoff was a surprise guest presenter. The Knight Rider, Baywatch and America's Got Talent star has a large and loyal fan base in Germany.
    His album Looking For Freedom was the country's top-selling record in 1989.
    Host Katy Perry added sex appeal with a series of costume changes throughout the evening.
    At one point, she appeared in a West Ham basque in honour of her boyfriend Russell Brand.
    Perry admitted: "Yes, he's a massive influence on my wearing fewer clothes."
    There were also performances from Green Day, Foo Fighters, Shakira and Leona Lewis.
    Around 532million homes were expected to tune in to watch the show via MTV's global TV network.

Kanye must be happy :rolleyes:

Advertisement