Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place in town for Coffee and a bun on a Saturday

• 05-11-2009 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

Anyone recommend any personal favourites? Just somewhere on a Saurday afternoon in town to relax, 2 people, have a coffee and a bun. Like bewleys used to be. I find most "cafes" are horrible little kips, their buns are never fresh and the places are always too small and cramped. And more often than not, expensive. Current personal fav is Old Quarter. Find the place at the top of Cruises St, cant think of the name now, to be truly dreadful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Liam79 wrote: »
    Anyone recommend any personal favourites? Just somewhere on a Saurday afternoon in town to relax, 2 people, have a coffee and a bun. Like bewleys used to be. I find most "cafes" are horrible little kips, their buns are never fresh and the places are always too small and cramped. And more often than not, expensive. Current personal fav is Old Quarter. Find the place at the top of Cruises St, cant think of the name now, to be truly dreadful.

I am not a coffee drinker so I can't help you too much there.
    I like Cafe on the row myself, they do really good chocolate fudge cake there.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I like a nice bun and a cup of tea after I go into Hickeys to collect new wool for the jumper I'm knitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I like a nice bun and a cup of tea after I go into Hickeys to collect new wool for the jumper I'm knitting.

This isn't After Hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Little Scamp :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

jackncoke wrote: »
    This isn't After Hours

:rolleyes:

What's wrong with knitting? Stop dragging the thread off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Hi OP, Delish on Thomas Street does good coffee and they also have a nice selection of homemade baked goods to satisfy the cake cravings. You can sit outside too when the weather's fine and watch the world go by.

Greene's on William Street is a bit busy with the blue rinse brigade on Saturday's but again, they do great coffee and some of the most delicious carrot cake I've ever annihilated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

:rolleyes:

What's wrong with knitting? Stop dragging the thread off topic.

Wow,you're hilarious...I bet you are a big hit with the girls at school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I like the leather sofas in the place upstairs in Arthurs Quay. Nice Coffee and Tea, not expensive either. Good place to chill out and people watch. Not sure about the bun situation. :D

I wouldn't mind knowing where the best Cappuccino can be found in Limerick though...???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

RonMexico wrote: »
    Not sure about the bun situation. :D

Nope bun situations good there too Ron :o
    (I'm actually not a fat ass, I just have a sweet tooth)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

http://www.arabicalimerick.ie/, it's across from the George, very good prices and the man behind the counter last time I was there was lovely.
    I don't drink coffee though I like tea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Café Noir on Robert St do nice scones! It's busy at the best of times though with Yummy Mummies!
    They my satisfy your sweet tooth too ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Myself and the best friend like to meet up for a chat outside Café on the Row whenever we get the chance. He gets a smoke and a latte, I get tea, sometimes treat myself to a croissant. Judging by recent weather though, the outdoor option might not be the best tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Café Noir on Robert St do nice scones! It's busy at the best of times though with Yummy Mummies!
    They my satisfy your sweet tooth too ;)

Have to agree! I love this place, the cakes are gorgeous :P and the atmosphere is so relaxing. The service is a bit slow though..

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Atlantic1

When I lived in Limerick many years ago, we used to go to a cafe/restaurant on O' Connell St. called The Baker's Kitchen. I think you had to go downstairs to it. Is it still operating or has it closed?

We were in there when somebody came in to tell us that John Lennon had been shot dead. :(

Wow Atlantic1 that was 1980 !! Limerick has changed a LOT since then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Atlantic1

Wow Atlantic1 that was 1980 !! Limerick has changed a LOT since then. :D

You're right there, Ron. I'm back in Cork now but I had 3 years in college there and had a great time. But it wasn't a pretty place back then. Each time I go back there now I'm amazed and delighted at what a fine city it is now. The river front is a credit to the city.

Had a toasty and a Cappucino in BBs off Cruises street today. The toasty was barely toasted, more like a slightly warm sandwich and the Cappucino was not a proper Cappucino. It was gross.

I might add that their Hot Chocolate and Muffins are nice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Are you for real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jekyll

There's a really nice place in the Milk Market (that only opens Saturday I think) which does really good coffee, cake, and... cheese, randomly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Sage Cafe on Catherine St. Lovely everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Funkstard wrote: »
    Sage Cafe on Catherine St. Lovely everything.

Isn't Sage run by one of the Cranberries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Sera wrote: »
    http://www.arabicalimerick.ie/, it's across from the George, very good prices and the man behind the counter last time I was there was lovely.
    I don't drink coffee though I like tea

What, like Sting

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭monalitto

I like the leather sofas in the place upstairs in Arthurs Quay. Nice Coffee and Tea, not expensive either. Good place to chill out and people watch. Not sure about the bun situation. :D

I wouldn't mind knowing where the best Cappuccino can be found in Limerick though...???
    best cappuccino - try Marie's cheese shop in the Milk Market on saturday mornings (temperarly moved to Ellen st)
    Or, I also like O'Brien's sandwich place on William st.
    shop on corner of catherine st & glentworth st,was called Gleesons, fab coffee & great pastries, but have to sit outside or take away. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Went into the Buttery on Bedford Row at the weekend.

Was treating some friends and so I was paying for everything. Was horrified to find that one small cupcake was 3 euro!

3 euro for something you'd swallow in one bite. And they charged 3.99 for a slice of cake. 3.20 for the cappucino.

It came to 19.55 for two cupcakes, a slice of cake and 3 cappucinos

Outrageous rip-off!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,524 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I went to the Buttery yesterday and came to the same conclusion. €3.20 for a very small cappuccino and €3.00 for a small cupcake. Not good value at all, and I won' t be going back any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Mr E wrote: »
    I went to the Buttery yesterday and came to the same conclusion. €3.20 for a very small cappuccino and €3.00 for a small cupcake. Not good value at all, and I won' t be going back any time soon.

Now, that sounds like a real Celtic Tiger-style rip-off alright. I must make a mental note to avoid that place whenever I'm having a coffee & sit-down in that part of town.

In fairness, I have had a dinner in there and it was lovely and in my opinion worth the price which was much in line with everywhere else...

...but cupcakes for 3euro is taking the piss.

Has anyone been in to Hook and Ladder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,524 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

...but cupcakes for 3euro is taking the piss.

Coffee and cupcake were both good in fairness, but shouldn't have been more than €5 for both.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Coffee and cupcake were both good in fairness, but shouldn't have been more than €5 for both.

Absolutely. Think 1.50 for the cupcake max.

The cappuccino is quite small for 3.20. A large in nearby places is about 2.80.

Advertisement