Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place in town for Coffee and a bun on a Saturday

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Mr E wrote: »
    I went to the Buttery yesterday and came to the same conclusion. €3.20 for a very small cappuccino and €3.00 for a small cupcake. Not good value at all, and I won' t be going back any time soon.

Went there for breakfast when it first opened, and had to pay extra for coffee. Tea was included. Food wasn't fantastic, but paying extra for coffee is a big no-no for breakfast imo. Was over 11eu for breakfast including coffee.

Haven't been back since,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Zest by the peoples park, lovely staff - really lovely. Great views and a great choice of drinks and treats.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You should try the insomnia cafe upstairs in easons. Coffee and a bun for some offer price. Can't recall whether it was 4.50 or 3.50 , but considering the muffins are massive and the coffee aint bad, I think it was good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

MarkR wrote: »
    You should try the insomnia cafe upstairs in easons. Coffee and a bun for some offer price. Can't recall whether it was 4.50 or 3.50 , but considering the muffins are massive and the coffee aint bad, I think it was good value.

I always forget about insomnia being upstairs! Keep meaning to go there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I always forget about insomnia being upstairs! Keep meaning to go there!

I was there with my mom recently - its a bit strange as its kind of away in a corner but the staff were really nice and if you go around the back of the counter area there are a few tables there with views out on to Cruises st. so you can watch the weird and wonderful people of Limerick do their thing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Parchment wrote: »
    I was there with my mom recently - its a bit strange as its kind of away in a corner but the staff were really nice and if you go around the back of the counter area there are a few tables there with views out on to Cruises st. so you can watch the weird and wonderful people of Limerick do their thing!

That's where I like to sit. Like watching everyone go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I've never been to Cafe Noir but I remember going to a nice coffee place in the city near Dunnes. Thought was La Cucina unless they moved out of the city as it seems to show its near Castletroy/UL on Facebook. Looking at google map it was probably Abrabica Coffee shop I went into, I can't remember the name of the one I went to last year but I was sure was La Cucina. I recall it was a little pricey for a small latte. I remember passing Arabica whether or not it was that one I went to but definitely remember the coffee shop being near Dunnes. Brown Thomas does nice coffee too! Don't think there is a Costa in the city there is one in the Cresent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭black & white

Has anyone been in to Hook and Ladder?

Twice so far, sambo and coffee the first time and scrambled egg on toast with coffee the second. Food wise it is excellent and I couldn't fault a single thing about it, price wise though it's at the top of the range around town. My toasted ham & cheese with a regular coffee was just over a tenner and the scrambled egg on toast with 2 coffees was about 15. The setting and service are excellent but it's not an everyday place for me purely down to price.

For a coffee and bun, I'd recommend Fine Things which is downstairs in Arthurs Quay. Every cake is made on site and the coffee is reasonable. If you want to treat yourself, try a macaroon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Twice so far, sambo and coffee the first time and scrambled egg on toast with coffee the second. Food wise it is excellent and I couldn't fault a single thing about it, price wise though it's at the top of the range around town. My toasted ham & cheese with a regular coffee was just over a tenner and the scrambled egg on toast with 2 coffees was about 15. The setting and service are excellent but it's not an everyday place for me purely down to price.

Pricey to be fair. 15 Eu for a scrambled egg and 2 coffees.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

That is an absolutely shocking price :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I haven't eaten there but the coffee and service in the Cellar Door on Foxes Bow was fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

That is an absolutely shocking price :eek:

I'd have to disagree with ye there.
    Been a few times now with the kids and herself... Usually on a Sunday morn as a treat for breakfast.
    2 coffees 2 REALLY nice breakfasts..smoked salmon/scrambled eggs etc maple syrup on toast for the kids and small juices for under 25 euro is really good value.
    One of the few places open on Sunday morns aswell
    Marty.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree with ye there.
    Been a few times now with the kids and herself... Usually on a Sunday morn as a treat for breakfast.
    2 coffees 2 REALLY nice breakfasts..smoked salmon/scrambled eggs etc maple syrup on toast for the kids and small juices for under 25 euro is really good value.
    One of the few places open on Sunday morns aswell
    Marty.

It is in its hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Upstairs in Arthur's Quay ain't bad either. They have some really nice cake and the coffee is decent.

It is in its hole.

It's not good value..or there's loads of places open?

It's not good value..or there's loads of places open?

That really isn't good value. Nor is paying over a tenner for a toastie and a coffee, or 15 euro for a scrambled egg on toast and two coffees.

It's a bloody rip off.

A healthy breakfast for 2 kids and 2 adults with coffees/juices for under €25 is good value in my book, esp considering the lack of choice in limerick of a Sunday morn.
    I think the poster who said 15 for an egg and coffee may have slightly dramatised...
    Anyway I'd recommend the place
    Marty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

That really isn't good value. Nor is paying over a tenner for a toastie and a coffee, or 15 euro for a scrambled egg on toast and two coffees.

It's a bloody rip off.

I think they mugged you. I'd been thinking of trying that place, I'll give it a miss now. I could buy 2 lots of fish and chips for 15 euro.

A healthy breakfast for 2 kids and 2 adults with coffees/juices for under €25 is good value in my book, esp considering the lack of choice in limerick of a Sunday morn.
    I think the poster who said 15 for an egg and coffee may have slightly dramatised...
    Anyway I'd recommend the place
    Marty.

I actually looked for the receipt but can't find it, but I did have a look at the menu online and the toastie is 7.95 and americano 2.70, total 10.65 so I was correct on the first one. On the second we had 2 Cappucinos @ 2.80 each and it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that I was charged 9.00 for scrambled egg on toast although that dish is not on the menu. That morning was the morning Granny was in town and it's possible they made a mistake and overcharged me but that is what I was asked for and what I paid, no dramatics.

• Advertisement

I think they mugged you. I'd been thinking of trying that place, I'll give it a miss now. I could buy 2 lots of fish and chips for 15 euro.

you could...and have a heart attack soon after ;)

I actually looked for the receipt but can't find it, but I did have a look at the menu online and the toastie is 7.95 and americano 2.70, total 10.65 so I was correct on the first one. On the second we had 2 Cappucinos @ 2.80 each and it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that I was charged 9.00 for scrambled egg on toast although that dish is not on the menu. That morning was the morning Granny was in town and it's possible they made a mistake and overcharged me but that is what I was asked for and what I paid, no dramatics.

Yeah all sounds about right... i think most of their breakfasts are about 8 euro and maybe the coffee is part of that...so depends maybe how you go about it possibly.

They do v nice healthy food anyway...and they have nice options for kids..maple syrup on french toast and pancakes etc... so your hand is not forced into buying kids adult portions which is all too often the case.

Id encourage people to try it out for themselves...look at the menu and if its too expensive for you fair enough walk out but i have always gotten value for money in there.
    Id rather spend an extra couple of quid and eat something i actually want/like/enjoy...and the kids will actually eat than spend less and have a whole heap of grease/rubber sausages "full irish breakfast" put in front of me, and end up with indegestion for the day!

Marty.

Yeah all sounds about right... i think most of their breakfasts are about 8 euro and maybe the coffee is part of that...so depends maybe how you go about it possibly.

They do v nice healthy food anyway...and they have nice options for kids..maple syrup on french toast and pancakes etc... so your hand is not forced into buying kids adult portions which is all too often the case.

Id encourage people to try it out for themselves...look at the menu and if its too expensive for you fair enough walk out but i have always gotten value for money in there.
    Id rather spend an extra couple of quid and eat something i actually want/like/enjoy...and the kids will actually eat than spend less and have a whole heap of grease/rubber sausages "full irish breakfast" put in front of me, and end up with indegestion for the day!

Marty.

I agree that the food and service is excellent, I think I said so in my original post, and I will go back there but it's too expensive for me to eat there at lunchtime regularly. It's more of a treat place.

If you want something along the same lines for breakfast ie not a plate of grease, try Papas (used to be Paparazi) on Denmark Street. They don't open on Sundays but do every other day. A bit quirky but everything freshly made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

I've always been fond of Cafe Cupcake on Henry St.

Insomnia on the top floor of Eason on Cruises St. is a good shout as well

I just had a look online at H&L's lunch menu. 13.95 for fish and chips, they can feck off with that, not exactly a shortage of places to get the same thing a lot cheaper in the city centre.
    Marty.

In fairness Marty, they've been open a very short while.

Cafe Cupcake on Henry Street do very nice food. It's also the only place in Limerick where I've found vegetarian sausages on the breakfast menu. We had a couple of birthday cakes made there and they were delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Cafe Cupcake on Henry Street do very nice food. It's also the only place in Limerick where I've found vegetarian sausages on the breakfast menu. We had a couple of birthday cakes made there and they were delicious.

Breakfast is excellent too...and very reasonable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

It's at times like this that I really miss the Wild Onion Cafe that was on High Street. My favourite food place in Limerick. That and Java's..

The proprietors of the Wild Onion have since opened a bake shop across from the Strand Hotel. and you can get a decent coffee and baked goods there, but there's not really the ability to sit out and relax.

I forgot about the cafe in Brown Thomas, yummy sinful cakes.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 ThomasAlan

Was in Gloria Jeans on Thomas Street on Saturday. Nice but overpriced. €3.45 for a regular latte and €3.45 for a regular hot chocolate. Makes the Hook & Ladder seem reasonable!

Advertisement