Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place in town for Coffee and a bun on a Saturday

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Gloria Jeans has always been expensive. I spent a silly amount on iced lattés there last summer. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭black & white

An File wrote: »
    Gloria Jeans has always been expensive. I spent a silly amount on iced lattés there last summer. :o

Go across Thomas St and up a bit to The Sandwich Shop, nicer coffee 70 cents cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Went into O'Connors Cafe on Thomas Street today for a coffee and a bite to eat.

Was told by the waitress that the she'd have to check with the chef to see if what I wanted was available as he doesn't do it when they're busy.

It was a toasted scone.

What a bloody joke. That's the last time I'll set foot in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Went into O'Connors Cafe on Thomas Street today for a coffee and a bite to eat.

Was told by the waitress that the she'd have to check with the chef to see if what I wanted was available as he doesn't do it when they're busy.

It was a toasted scone.

What a bloody joke. That's the last time I'll set foot in there.

This seems to have become a regular thing there and is the reason that we stopped going there,having been regular customers. There is too much competition in town to be telling people this nonsense. I might be wrong, but the impression I got was that they're trying to push breakfast on people up until noon, anything other than that seems to be taken as a major inconvenience to them.

We started going to the Cafe Cupcake over by Dunnes instead, much better food in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭orm0nd

This seems to have become a regular thing there and is the reason that we stopped going there,having been regular customers. There is too much competition in town to be telling people this nonsense. I might be wrong, but the impression I got was that they're trying to push breakfast on people up until noon, anything other than that seems to be taken as a major inconvenience to them.

We started going to the Cafe Cupcake over by Dunnes instead, much better food in my opinion.

last couple of times we had lunch there it was dire & service very poor

ex customers also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Melena

Can not recommend either The Stormy teacup or Cellar Door enough. Cup of Coffee with a warm scone , jam and cream - about €4. Great friendly, personal experience. Me and my boyfriend have stated making it a tradition once a week! :)

Melena wrote: »
    Can not recommend either The Stormy teacup or Cellar Door enough. Cup of Coffee with a warm scone , jam and cream - about €4. Great friendly, personal experience. Me and my boyfriend have stated making it a tradition once a week! :)

Would have to say I'm very surprised at the recommendation for the Stormy teacup. Mr Pumpkinseeds is a bit of a tea fanatic so we decided to try there one day during the Summer and found it awful. The furniture looks like it's been taken out of a skip, the place smells musty and his tea was served in a pint glass.:confused: He was appalled and the tea went cold very fast due to the ridiculous way it was served. He had a few sips of it and we left. I wouldn't even consider going back there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Would have to say I'm very surprised at the recommendation for the Stormy teacup. Mr Pumpkinseeds is a bit of a tea fanatic so we decided to try there one day during the Summer and found it awful. The furniture looks like it's been taken out of a skip, the place smells musty and his tea was served in a pint glass.:confused: He was appalled and the tea went cold very fast due to the ridiculous way it was served. He had a few sips of it and we left. I wouldn't even consider going back there again.

A pint glass? how quirky....and also very stupid. Thats just ridiculous!

Parchment wrote: »
    A pint glass? how quirky....and also very stupid. Thats just ridiculous!

Yeah, that's what we thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I've been there a number of times and the tea's always very good. Yes, a pint glass is a bit quirky, but I like a large mug myself as opposed to a small, silly teacup.

I guess the furniture has been obtained cheaply, second hand from various sources, but it's all quite adequate. I suspect they didn't have the resources to fit it out like a soulless coffee shop chain.

• Advertisement

Louche Lad wrote: »
    I've been there a number of times and the tea's always very good. Yes, a pint glass is a bit quirky, but I like a large mug myself as opposed to a small, silly teacup.

I guess the furniture has been obtained cheaply, second hand from various sources, but it's all quite adequate. I suspect they didn't have the resources to fit it out like a soulless coffee shop chain.

I wouldn't say 'quirky', my impression was that they were aiming for chic and ended up with shabby. A pint glass is not what you serve tea in. The glass is cold so the tea cools as soon as it's poured into it and because it's so big it goes cold even faster. I'm not a snob, but there is no way I would have sat on the upholstered furniture and the service was lacklustre. There's a happy medium between soulless coffee shop and quirky tea rooms and the Stormy teacup isn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

I like the layout of the Stormy Teacup but they don't do plain scones, brown scones or toast and their cream is not fresh cream but that stuff from the spray can.

I normally drink coffee when out and like theirs so can't comment on the tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Went to the Stormy teacup once and while the coffee was good nothing made me want to go back.

I'm still very loyal to Cafe Aroma on Roches St after wandering in there randomly a few years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The Stormy Teacup is a new business started on a minimal budget. I'd cut them some slack.

To its credit it stays open late on a few evenings and they do film and documentary nights too.

I guess it's like the Costelloes of tea/coffee shops in Limerick, and there's a place in this city for such an establishment.

I'd support a locally-owned 'quirky' café over a Costa any day.

zulutango wrote: »
    The Stormy Teacup is a new business started on a minimal budget. I'd cut them some slack.

To its credit it stays open late on a few evenings and they do film and documentary nights too.

I guess it's like the Costelloes of tea/coffee shops in Limerick, and there's a place in this city for such an establishment.

I'd support a locally-owned 'quirky' café over a Costa any day.

I'm not a local so I don't know what Costelloes is like. I'm confused by the comments that it's 'quirky', I honestly thought it was a dump, the sort of place that if you aren't local you try once and never go back to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

I love Carlton on Thomas St. The girls there are efficient, friendly, and the coffee is always good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Big fan of Carlton myself! The coffee is only €2 each weekday morning too!

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

A little further away, but if you're up near the people's park, Zest in the art gallery is a nice little spot. Loads a cakes and a nice few salads. Coffee is good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Big Thumbs up from me for The Stormy Teacup and The Cellar Door. My main requirement for a coffee shop is not to have loud music or the radio/TV blaring out at me. It is amazing how many coffee shops in Limerick are so noisy!

Until, The Story Teacup and Cellar door came along I used to have to go up to The Strand as it was the only place with nice comfy seats and no loud music.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

A little further away, but if you're up near the people's park, Zest in the art gallery is a nice little spot. Loads a cakes and a nice few salads. Coffee is good too

Can only speak for the one in Castletroy but have to say, Zest has the worst coffee I've tasted in a long time. Thought it was just me but asked a few friends and they all agree that it's rank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I'm not a local so I don't know what Costelloes is like. I'm confused by the comments that it's 'quirky', I honestly thought it was a dump, the sort of place that if you aren't local you try once and never go back to.

I used the word 'quirky' because that's what you used before. It's not a word I'd really use to describe a place, as it's a somewhat intangible quality.

I've only been to The Stormy Teacup once and thought it was lovely. Don't know where you're getting the idea it's a dump. Seemed spotlessly clean to me that day.

Maybe we both need to go a second time before reaching firm conclusions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Keep forgetting the name of the coffee shop, up past the stationery shop on Catherine Street, on the corner, across from fine wines. They make a good coffee, and there's a nice atmosphere in there too.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

seachto7 wrote: »
    Keep forgetting the name of the coffee shop, up past the stationery shop on Catherine Street, on the corner, across from fine wines. They make a good coffee, and there's a nice atmosphere in there too.

Is that Fitto by any chance? Haven't been in there but my neighbour swears by it!

Is that Fitto by any chance? Haven't been in there but my neighbour swears by it!

Or maybe Aroma? Been in there about twice — it's OK.

I like the feel of Fitto (was once French's) — a good place to slowly read a newspaper and watch the people walk by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Aroma is the place. Good spot for a read of a paper

I don't get the name "Fitto". It doesn't seem to mean anything in the context of cafés. Via Google I see it's the Italian for "compact" or "thickset", and it's also the surname of a dodgy Italian politician, but that's all I can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Louche Lad wrote: »
    I don't get the name "Fitto". It doesn't seem to mean anything in the context of cafés. Via Google I see it's the Italian for "compact" or "thickset", and it's also the surname of a dodgy Italian politician, but that's all I can find.

I'd say Fitto is based on the words fit or fitness.

Found this reviewof Fitto online: All meals are designed to keep you in top shape. High in protein, low in fat, less cholesterol & good carbohydrates.
    Commit to be fit, eat fit, look fit and stay fit with Fitto Cafe.
    Fitto Cafe believes in healthy eating. Not dieting.

So they have a very healthy menu and apparently their coffee has health/fitness benefits www.fitnesscoffee.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

seachto7 wrote: »
    Aroma is the place. Good spot for a read of a paper

Aroma is lovely and they real friendly in there.

Advertisement