Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog ID tag

Options
  • 05-11-2009 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

We need to get an ID tag for Mr. Puppy. I was thinking his name and a mobile/landline but one of our neighbours told us not to get his name on it in case somebody finds him and wants to take him - they'll see his name on the tag and call him etc etc

Citizensinfo says

"Dogs must at all times wear a collar that bears the name and the address of the owner inscribed on it or on a plate, badge or disc. Failure to have identification on a dog can result in an on-the-spot fine issued by a dog warden. Failure to pay this fine within a specific period can result in prosecution by your local authority. "

But I don't know if I want my name and address on the tag in case the tag falls off and somebody has my details..

What does everyone have on the tag? He's microchipped and has his little fido.ie tag on his collar "Please scan me I am microchipped" :pac: from when he was a baby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I have my dogs name on the front and her address and two contact numbers on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I have her name and my number on the front and "I am chipped" on the back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I have her name on the front and my moblie number on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I have my surname and phone number on one side and "CHIPPED" on the other.
    I wouldnt put my address on it or the dogs name either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

tk123 wrote: »
    But I don't know if I want my name and address on the tag in case the tag falls off and somebody has my details..
    Why? Anyone can open a phone book and have instant access to 100's of thousands of verified names, addresses and phone numbers at a glance. Seriously, if someone found a tag with your name and address on it, what would you expect them to do with that information? It's not like finding bank statements or utility bills that could be used for identity theft or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

dont think they could do much with this info to be honest. My dog has 2 tags, one says 'please scan me im microchipped' and the other has his name and my name and number on the back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

On our dog tags:
    Front - "Microchipped" "Neutered"/"Spayed" and on one of the tags "Requires daily medication" (because she does!).
    Back - Phone number (mobile) and our vets phone number (should really put both our numbers on them but just haven't gotten around to it.

They also have a FIDO chip tag one the same ring.

I wouldn't (and don't) put my name/OH's name, address or my dogs name on a tag - could be used to someone elses advantage (and our disadvantage).

Just a note - www.boomerangtags.com is a brilliant site for gettinfg them printed. They can fit a lot on the tag, they are cheap and deliver promtly. Recommend them to everyone who asks about tags!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

I have my dog's name, my name, address and mobile number on the tag. I use www.pettags.com. It's a U.S. based company and the tag usually arrives within a week from ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I have tons of info. on my dogs tags I use http://www.identitag.co.uk/ they haven't fallen off only thing to do is to check the ring on the tag the tags themselves last forever mine go through long grass etc. no probs.

Only bit of info. I leave out is the dogs name, I put spayed, microchipped by Animark, 2 phone numbers, my name, address etc. Brilliant tags.
    Worked out under a tenner each.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Both of mine have highly visible white tags. On one side they have "Please phone (my mobile) Immediately" in large letters. On the reverse they "Microchipped, Spayed & My vets number.

I would always want to convey the message to anyone to phone me immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

oh no - i need new tags - i only got the dog's name, my mobile and house number :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I've got a tag from this crowd, brilliant, I have the address, phone number, email, vets phone and microchipped written on it, I've had it over a year and it still looks like new and there's no danger of it falling off.

http://www.indigocollartags.co.uk/

I have tons of info. on my dogs tags I use http://www.identitag.co.uk/ they haven't fallen off only thing to do is to check the ring on the tag the tags themselves last forever mine go through long grass etc. no probs.

Only bit of info. I leave out is the dogs name, I put spayed, microchipped by Animark, 2 phone numbers, my name, address etc. Brilliant tags.
    Worked out under a tenner each.

did you get the brass ones as i wondered if they'd weather?

Blueprint wrote: »
    I've got a tag from this crowd, brilliant, I have the address, phone number, email, vets phone and microchipped written on it, I've had it over a year and it still looks like new and there's no danger of it falling off.

i think these are my favourite though - but what size of dog - collar do you have? surgical steel hmmmmmmmmmm

I've got the medium closed one, it fits fine with a plain narrow collar, had to take the rivets on the holes out of the first collar I put it on, which was padded, so it only went on the end bit, but that was fine. The size of tag depends on what size collar you want with it, my dog's only small so medium did the job for him. They sell collar and tag sets as well, which would stop you from worrying if it'll fit I guess...

am i going daft or has this vanished as a link?

Nope, it seems to be gone. Someone must not have paid for their web hosting... They still have a Facebook page...

Hope they're not gone for good as I shall never be able to move again!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We went with one of these : http://www.reddingo.net/html/tags1.htm - the bone one. I just got mobile/landline numbers on it and *CHIPPED* at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

By law you must have the owners name, address and phone number so anyone getting a tag make sure you pop that on it, after that adding 'microchipped' etc. is a bonus. Alsoif anyones dog has food intolerances or is on long term medication good idea to pop that on it too.

Paul91 wrote: »
    am i going daft or has this vanished as a link?

The site is back now. Happy days!

• Advertisement

The site is back now. Happy days!

oh no, gone again yo-yo time

Working at the moment...

Working at the moment...

yes i got it on the up ;o) cheers Blueprint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

On the whole not putting the dogs name on it in case it leads to them getting stolen thing... If someone was to rob a dog I would imagine it would make more sense to pick it up and run off with it... than to pick it up , read its tag, put it back down, then try and coax it along by calling its name :confused:

My dogs have our contact info on one side then something quirky on the other side (our tags fit up to 5 lines on each side) one has "I'm lost please call my 'rents!" another has "has anyone seen my balls?" and mollys has "queen of everything" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well you see if the dog is stolen it's easier for the thief to have the dogs name, if they're reselling or whatever, the dog will respond to it's name.
    We have our house number on one side, and my mobile number on the other. That's all the info someone needs tbh. Both our dogs are chipped too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Two of my dogs won't go to stranges no matter if they have their name or not, they are real 'family' only kinda dogs. My pup on the other hand would go to anyone but she is starting to become more aloof. All three are microchipped and wear a tag with their name and my mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

star-pants wrote: »
    Well you see if the dog is stolen it's easier for the thief to have the dogs name, if they're reselling or whatever, the dog will respond to it's name.

I see your point, but if theyre reselling a stolen dog, would it not make sense to change the name though? Especially if the original owners are looking for the dog, putting up posters with the original dogs name etc :confused:

OR, maybe I'd be a really crap dog thief :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Nah what you say makes sense Molberts - but I just remember somewhere before advice being given saying not to have the dogs name, as it can make it easier for someone to steal your dog.

Advertisement