Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal harddrives.

Options
  • 05-11-2009 4:51pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    Was thinking of buying a second internal harddrive,I was just wondering if they were easy to install?Oh and whats the difference between a SATA harddrive and a IDE one?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hi
    Was thinking of buying a second internal harddrive,I was just wondering if they were easy to install?

Usually very easy, more so with SATA these days. Should just be a matter of screwing it into the case, plug in power and data cable and you're free to format and use. Just be sure to check connector/power cable availability in your case and whether you need SATA or older IDE drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Hi
    Was thinking of buying a second internal harddrive,I was just wondering if they were easy to install?

They are very easy to install,provided your power supply has the correct connections and your motherboard has enough ports to add another connection.

You will also need a spare slot in your drive cage (where your first drive is)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

WESTERN DIGITAL
    Description:HD Caviar SE/160GB SATA II 7200rpm 8MB,thats the one I have should I just buy that one again?also is into the motherboard or the power supply I plug it into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

WESTERN DIGITAL
    Description:HD Caviar SE/160GB SATA II 7200rpm 8MB,thats the one I have should I just buy that one again?also is into the motherboard or the power supply I plug it into?

You need to make sure you have the space for it first. Check whether your PSU has the needed connector free, that your mobo has an additional SATA port free and your case has a mount for the drive itself.

It plugs into both. A power cable from the PSU goes into the SATA power socket on the HDD, and then the data cable from HDD to Mobo. This will show you what to look for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

your leads will be different but have a look at this

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

slave1 wrote: »
    your leads will be different but have a look at this

actually this is a wee bit clearer about the whole thing (was in the related links somewhere):

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

WESTERN DIGITAL

Id imagine that for the same price that was when you bought it you could get one alot bigger nowadays. Like the 500gb ones if your looking for one under 50 euro, if your looking for alot more space say 1tb you can get the samsung F3 for under 70 euro.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Having watched that youtube clip it seems easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

I wouldnt go with go with maxter if i was you.

have a look at the samsung F3 1TB

you can get it delivered from ebuyer for 75euro

i think this is the fastest hdd on the market at the moment, its cheap too

western digital are also good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

This Samsung HDD is a hell of alot better, amazingly fast and probably the most reliable hard drive going, with a proven track record.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=491821

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Griffin87 wrote: »
    I wouldnt go with go with maxter if i was you.

Pffff, it'll be grand!

But this is a better price
    http://www.onestoppcshop.ie/products.asp?recnumber=24541649
    €7.50 next day delivery

Or you can get this 1tb seagate for less than 70 with next day delivery
    http://www.onestoppcshop.ie/products.asp?recnumber=24542930

They're pretty much all the same for normal users as long as you don't fill them by more than 80%. Don't know why you bothered not going for a full terrabyte considering the cost difference is so low

The new harddrive arrived last wednesday,me and my brother tryed installing it last thursday night but we could'nt get it to show in my computer and when he went into the bios it was'nt showing up at first until he realised he probbly had it in the wrong motherboard connection,so he tryed it in a few different connections and eventually it showed up on the bios but it was still not showing up in my computer,anyone any ideas as to why this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You need to mark it active and create a partition on it, (You need an admin account for this) Right click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management > In the lower window you should see the list of hard drives on your machine, right click the new one and create a partition on it then format it, if it still doesn't show up then you can assign a letter to it.

MC

Thanks Ill try that,Is it the same procedure for vista?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Pretty sure it is, have dumped Vista for Ubuntu long ago, had to rummage for a Windoze machine to get the screen capture in my post.

MC

If you are still having probs then PM me as I do PC repairs for a living and can do this one for you if you like.

Pretty sure it is, have dumped Vista for Ubuntu long ago, had to rummage for a Windoze machine to get the screen capture in my post.

MC

If you are still having probs then PM me as I do PC repairs for a living and can do this one for you if you like.

Will do! My brother said he'd give it another bash tomorrow.

I'm a bit worried as you never mentioned that you connected the power cable to the hard-drive...

Did you?

• Advertisement

Yes I did :)

Advertisement