Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT UK results in the Morning!

Options
  • 05-11-2009 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

Nervous!!! :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TinTin09

In the same boat, not expecting any miracles tbh I would be happy with 45+ given the amount of preparation I put in and since I only treated it as a practice run for march. Anyone else want to make predictions about their results tomorrow??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

im going to say between 55 and 65 eeekkk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 vinylqueen

haha deliberately left all my seminar work for tomorrow til now to do so i'd be distracted but clearly that strategy hasn't worked! so nervous.

said from the beginning that i was doing it as a trial run and meant it but think i've almost certainly disgraced myself esp in sII and III. keep having dreams with numbers floating around... 12 being the worst so far so anything above that then should be a pleasant surprise!

wow, have to admitt ive had a few dreams aswell :rolleyes:

best of luck y'all, im going to try get some sleep......

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

Best of luck everyone.

p.s try to get some sleep:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

what do you need the gamsat for? i did the ukcat.. is gamsat for mature students or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MedGal

It's needed for graduate entry medicine to Irish med schools, some UK and Australian too.

i got 60, which is a **** result cause it means ill have 2 so it again to be sure to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Well done liberal. I got 61 so in the same boat. Although I think this gives us real confidence for the Irish one! :D

I got 55:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

I got 61 so I'm definitely taking it again, just to be sure!

where ya all hoping 2 go?

I'm Dublin based so have a pref for RCSI, then UCD.

TinTin09 wrote: »
    I got 55:D

ur not far off there tintin, my friend did the same last year, kinda went in as a tester, he got 54 in ireland last time, he did it with me in the uk this year havnt heard from him yet

Well fingers crossed for march, I got

S1 60
    S2 62
    S3 48
    Overall 55

Well at least from doing the GAMSAT UK I have a good advantage for March, I know the areas I need to work on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ProfessorBatman

Got 58 last march and 60 this time around, so yes, I'll be doing it again in March. I know the numbers were up for the 2009 course so I'll be interested to see what the numbers are like in March. If the numbers go down well then the points should go down or stay the same.

Got 58 last march and 60 this time around, so yes, I'll be doing it again in March. I know the numbers were up for the 2009 course so I'll be interested to see what the numbers are like in March. If the numbers go down well then the points should go down or stay the same.

The RCSI is holding a second open day in January for Grad Med due to the level of interest. I doubt the numbers are going to go down next year, although more people doing it doesn't necessarily mean better candidates and higher points.

58 would of got UL?

hey liberal, how did your friend get on who got 54 in march?

TinTin09 wrote: »
    hey liberal, how did your friend get on who got 54 in march?

59 he's happy enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

there was someone in these forums who came up with an explaination (a very logical one) on why numbers will be going down in the next few years

- galway GEM programme, and maybe trinity
    - more GEM places around the country in places like UCC, UCD, UL etc
    - less people applying for GAMSAT because not alot of people know about graduate entry medicine yet, and cant be bothered doing it all again (as compared to people wanting to do it from LC)
    - alot of people who wanted to do it and were waiting for years, would already have goten in, so there will be less competition in the next few years, and after that things will get leveled, as GAMSAT and graduate entry gets more interest/exposiure

• Registered Users Posts: 39 neurodegenerate

Reasons as to why points are unlikely to come down:
    • Galway GEM does not look likely to be introduced, and Trinity have no intention of introducing GEM
    • Class sizes have not been increased - they were meant to but they still haven't been so you can't bank on them increasing
    • Anyone interested in doing medicine would be aware of the gamsat. This is its third year so that arguement has worn away, if anything people are more aware of it than ever
    • There are still all the people who didn't get it at LC, went to college and are currently finishing up who want to do medicine. And there are those who have graduated and just haven't gotten a good gamsat score yet
    • But the most important factor to be considered is the economy. With cutbacks left right and centre, increasing postgrad medical places certainly is not a priority. With the unemployment figures likely to increase, there is a massive pool of people considering their options. A medical degree practically guarantees a secure future. We saw already an increase in points this year, and I have no doubt they will continue to do so. Don't get me wrong, I would love them to go down!!!

there was someone in these forums who came up with an explaination (a very logical one) on why numbers will be going down in the next few years

- galway GEM programme, and maybe trinity
    - more GEM places around the country in places like UCC, UCD, UL etc
    - less people applying for GAMSAT because not alot of people know about graduate entry medicine yet, and cant be bothered doing it all again (as compared to people wanting to do it from LC)
    - alot of people who wanted to do it and were waiting for years, would already have goten in, so there will be less competition in the next few years, and after that things will get leveled, as GAMSAT and graduate entry gets more interest/exposiure

• Galway GEM does not look likely to be introduced, and Trinity have no intention of introducing GEM
    • Class sizes have not been increased - they were meant to but they still haven't been so you can't bank on them increasing
    • Anyone interested in doing medicine would be aware of the gamsat. This is its third year so that arguement has worn away, if anything people are more aware of it than ever
    • There are still all the people who didn't get it at LC, went to college and are currently finishing up who want to do medicine. And there are those who have graduated and just haven't gotten a good gamsat score yet
    • But the most important factor to be considered is the economy. With cutbacks left right and centre, increasing postgrad medical places certainly is not a priority. With the unemployment figures likely to increase, there is a massive pool of people considering their options. A medical degree practically guarantees a secure future. We saw already an increase in points this year, and I have no doubt they will continue to do so. Don't get me wrong, I would love them to go down!!!

I'd tend to agree with neurodegenerate on this. The only thing I'd point out is that UCD are planning to increase the number of places to 55 in 2010. That is on the cards unless something goes wrong funding wise (always a possibility in the current climate).

• Registered Users Posts: 39 neurodegenerate

MicraBoy wrote: »
    I'd tend to agree with neurodegenerate on this. The only thing I'd point out is that UCD are planning to increase the number of places to 55 in 2010. That is on the cards unless something goes wrong funding wise (always a possibility in the current climate).

Would love if UCD increased the places! But UCD have an employment freeze at the moment, so I wouldn't be betting that they will increase places. I think it's unlikely. Ps well done on your 61! That's really fantastic. I got 59 and delighted with it! Wasn't expecting it at all, I thought I did pretty badly. Hopefully will be enough for... anywhere!!!:D

i didnt come up with it i just couldnt find where i read it, and he was saying 3 to 5 years, not right now, he said right now they probably will stay the same rather than go up or down, but there will be a fall in the next few years before there is a rise in applicants, which is pretty logical if people who were waiting to do medicine already get in, and there arent that many who want to do it, people who will go on to do it is someone who has had interest in medicine for a long time

galway is confirmed for 2010 btw
    But the most important factor to be considered is the economy. With cutbacks left right and centre, increasing postgrad medical places certainly is not a priority. With the unemployment figures likely to increase, there is a massive pool of people considering their options. A medical degree practically guarantees a secure future. We saw already an increase in points this year, and I have no doubt they will continue to do so. Don't get me wrong, I would love them to go down!!!

alot of people will be put off by the fee, considiering the 12k/year + expenses (and they wont have a job anymore), it is a 4 year course, and a year of internship, a loan will be the only option for the fee etc (unless your super rich), and they will be consdiering things like "if i dont make it i still have to pay the loan"

so when thinking about GEM, a person has to be 100% motivated to doing medicine, and 110% dedicated

there will always be arguments for/against points going up and down just like there are in the LC, i just thought that explantion fitted the most

galway is confirmed for 2010 btw

Don't think that's true unforunately :(

MicraBoy wrote: »
    Don't think that's true unforunately :(
    http://www.nuigalway.ie/medicine/
    Our College is currently expanding the undergraduate medical intake, implementing an exciting new curriculum, and we hope to offer graduate entry courses in medicine from 2010.

Yeah but the latest is that it is not happening - from what I'm reading on the newmediamedicine.com forums.

Probably best to keep our eyes peeled on the NUIG website for updates.

liberal wrote: »
    58 would of got UL?

Yup. I only put down the Dublin courses last year, for various reasons. I'll be applying everywhere this time. 60 should be enough, but I'll do it again in March just to try for a few more points. I'm 28 now, so I'm not waiting another year.

On the point of Galway. That would be great. Firstly because there'd be more places, secondly because I love Galway.

• Advertisement

. I'm 28 now, so I'm not waiting another year.

Out of interest... what age range are the rest ye?

Advertisement