Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT UK results in the Morning!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

Out of interest... what age range are the rest ye?
    i'll be 22 when going in, 30+ is pretty common in america, 40+ isnt unheard of, and sub 20 is unheard of as well, i would say the same trends follow here as well

and on the NUIG note, if it comes around i would expect the points to be lower than UL, and it was supposed to be starting this year but didnt happen, even if it isnt around this year when ever it comes, points will go down

any figures of people applying vs places? somewhere i heard there are 80 places but im hearing contradictions that there are 120/140 places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 vinylqueen

i'll be 27 for 2010 entry (although i appear to have replaced 'results fear' with 'no of applicants/curve fear') so who knows! my younger sister is doing RCSI GEP at the moment and seems there's a good range of ages with her which is reassuring.

ucd's increase was confirmed by them on one of the boards a short while ago which should ease things a little and i think it's probably only a matter of time before trinity & NUIG come on stream with GEP too (even though the former says they won't do it, if nothing else it's a good money spinner for them so i'd imagine it will happen eventually). it'll be interesting to see how things look after march.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

I'm gonna be 32 come September 2010.........*reaches for zimmerframe*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TinTin09

I am 22, tbh I dont care if I have to take the GAMSAT a few times to get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gordonmedques

am an old man. 32.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ProfessorBatman

vinylqueen wrote: »
    ucd's increase was confirmed by them on one of the boards a short while ago

Where'd you find that? That'd be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

I am 25... will be 26 next September

• Registered Users Posts: 39 neurodegenerate

I will be 23 when I begin! Just got confirmation from NUI Galway that gem won't be going ahead there next year, unlikely for the year after either. Damn!:(

Where'd you find that? That'd be great.
    Linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Prime Mover

mmm... not sure about that.... I think UCD would announce it on their website rather than on a UK based forum at 2.54 AM?

• Advertisement

haha! time to put on our detective hats?!

i just took it at face value. after all they may just have put in the wrong time setting when they signed up, i never check that kind of thing! colleges can be notoriously slow to update sites as well, particularly if somethings been decided which won't affect the majority of applicants til after march. someone pretending to be them seems somewhat unlikely...

mmm... not sure about that.... I think UCD would announce it on their website rather than on a UK based forum at 2.54 AM?

Well to start the site is New Zealand based so that was the time in NZ.

Secondly it is a very popular forum with people sitting GAMSAT in both the UK and Ireland (in fact the whole world). RCSI announced their open day on it also.

Thirdly the relevent post basically tells you to look at the UCD website for confirmation, but they hope and plan to offer 55 places in 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Prime Mover

I didn't know it was New Zealand based. It used to be called medschoolguide.co.uk years ago. Showing my age now... :)

It still is bizarre that they would post there without updating their own website.

I guess I have seen so much rubbish written on boards about getting into medicine that if it wasn't on the college site I wouldn't believe it.

In fairness there is a huge amount of BS on that forum too. That's really more of a heads up I think. I won't take it as confirmed until its in black and white on the UCD GEP homepage. For the moment it's as close to a guarantee of satisfaction as we're gonna get :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

I'm 22,

Until I hear it from the horses mouth I'm presuming GEM NUIG 2010 is not happening and that UCD will not expand capacity

My predtictions for 2010 cut offs, mainly for the laf

RCSI 62
    UCD 60
    UCC 60
    UL 58

RCSI 61
    UCD 60
    UCC 58
    UL 57

final round will be sub 60 for all of them i would say

hmm... i've been sitting here trying to figure it out with pass maths and scaring myself, but lets presume the applications go up by 150 people to approx 800 (which i think is a conservative estimate). top 20% of that is 160 people (not including UK applicants and people who are using scores from last year). yes, a small number of people won't get 2.1s or be finished college yet etc but if the number of places doesn't go up it would be closer to top 15% get in surely? also a bit unnerved how in the UK i was approx in the 87th percentile whereas going by the irish curve i'd have been 95th percentile last year. that's a big difference and i genuinely don't know now if i need to sit it again in march. we're gonna end up going mad before september!

that said i sincerely hope you're both right and this time next year all this worry seems ridiculous :)

vinylqueen wrote: »
    hmm... i've been sitting here trying to figure it out with pass maths and scaring myself, but lets presume the applications go up by 150 people to approx 800 (which i think is a conservative estimate). top 20% of that is 160 people (not including UK applicants and people who are using scores from last year). yes, a small number of people won't get 2.1s or be finished college yet etc but if the number of places doesn't go up it would be closer to top 15% get in surely? also a bit unnerved how in the UK i was approx in the 87th percentile whereas going by the irish curve i'd have been 95th percentile last year. that's a big difference and i genuinely don't know now if i need to sit it again in march. we're gonna end up going mad before september!

that said i sincerely hope you're both right and this time next year all this worry seems ridiculous :)

You got 67 didnt you? Your a shoe-in with that, the highest ever, anywhere is 62

RCSI 61
    UCD 60
    UCC 58
    UL 57

final round will be sub 60 for all of them i would say

did u notice that on CAO website that the points listed along with all other courses is 60 for rcsi but the seperate section for just gem says rcsi was 61

• Advertisement

liberal wrote: »
    did u notice that on CAO website that the points listed along with all other courses is 60 for rcsi but the seperate section for just gem says rcsi was 61

i dont get it, ive seen the past cutt offs if thats what your saying, but i expect them to go down, i posted my reasoning somewhere

liberal wrote: »
    You got 67 didnt you? Your a shoe-in with that, the highest ever, anywhere is 62

nah 64... i know i'm in a lucky position as i genuinely wasn't anticipating anything close to that score and i'm fairly confident of getting in somewhere, just gotten myself into a tizz with rudimentary maths :) this whole malarky puts you into a funny state of mind where it makes you doubt everything!

Advertisement