Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

camcorder recommendation please....

Options
  • 05-11-2009 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,

I can see that there is a topic on here similar to this, but I can be a bit more specific about what I need from a video camera....my problem is I am not sure which one will do the best job for me.

What I need to be able to do is this:

I have been asked by my boss to record a series of videos which are to be posted on an internet site to serve as instructional tools for students. The videos will more than likely be shot outdoors, although there would be no reason why at least some of them could not be done indoors too.

The sound quality has to be pretty good, as these will be used for instructional purposes and whatever I say while making the recording has to be clear when viewed online.

I don't know much about recording, so my gut reaction is that to make it simple I will try to get the videos done in a single take each, with the audio being recorded simultaneously. I suppose there are all kinds of editing tools available, and ways to do a voice-over afterwards. If there is a camcorder that has simple-to-use editing like that, I would consider it as an alternative to the "get it right in one take" approach.

The budget can probably go up to about €500 at most.

Many thanks for your help, it looks like there are a lot of people on here that know their stuff, so thanks for reading this and thanks for your response in advance.

Wayne

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Unfortunately €500 won't get you too much but try to get a camcorder that either records on hard drive or some sort of memory card so you don't have to mess around with tapes.

I use more professional cameras so I can't really advise on which make/model of small camcorder to get.

Do a scour on adverts & ebay, if you can lift your budget to 800 / 1000 you might be able to pick up a Sony PD150 or similar. That will give you the benefit of using an external mic which will sound much better than the internal mics on camcorders, especially when you are filming outside.

As for editing, Windows should do a free program, I think it's called movie maker (not 100% sure on the name because I'm a Mac user).

If you are filming a presenter then you really need to get the sound right as you film because it will be a nightmare to fix in post.

If you are filming random objects or how to videos that don't have a presenter on screen then you can do a VO in post production, you can get one of those USB mics for about €20 which will do the job for you.

Also, depending on what you are filming, unless you have a very steady hand I would suggest that you get yourself a cheap tripod. It will make all the difference for those static shots. If the footage is too shaky then no one will watch the clips if they make them feel sea sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Hi,

I can see that there is a topic on here similar to this, but I can be a bit more specific about what I need from a video camera....my problem is I am not sure which one will do the best job for me.

What I need to be able to do is this:

I have been asked by my boss to record a series of videos which are to be posted on an internet site to serve as instructional tools for students. The videos will more than likely be shot outdoors, although there would be no reason why at least some of them could not be done indoors too.

The sound quality has to be pretty good, as these will be used for instructional purposes and whatever I say while making the recording has to be clear when viewed online.

I don't know much about recording, so my gut reaction is that to make it simple I will try to get the videos done in a single take each, with the audio being recorded simultaneously. I suppose there are all kinds of editing tools available, and ways to do a voice-over afterwards. If there is a camcorder that has simple-to-use editing like that, I would consider it as an alternative to the "get it right in one take" approach.

The budget can probably go up to about €500 at most.

Many thanks for your help, it looks like there are a lot of people on here that know their stuff, so thanks for reading this and thanks for your response in advance.

Wayne

Hi Wayne. I've had a camcorder in some shape or form since 1990, and have done a short promotional film for a local soccer club, plus several wedding videos for family. Editing is never 'easy' and can drive you to distraction if you're not used to it.

Think long and hard before you do it.

As for editing, this one will burn to DVD also. I have Power Director 7, which is easy to use for very basic DVD authoring. You won't go wrong for $20.

http://www.softwareoutlet.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=4410

One last thing - if you buy a camcorder in AVCHD format you will need a powerful PC for the editing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭waynesurvey

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, most useful.

In terms of the videos I want to shoot, the more I think about it, the more I think I'd rather edit the shots and do a VO afterwards. I think it would look more professional. The content of the videos will be instructions on how to set up surveying instruments, so there will be a mixture of close-ups and wider shots...as I say, the more I think about it, the more difficult it would be to do as "one take". Too much moving around of the camera and zooming.

Advertisement