Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unbelievable

Options
  • 05-11-2009 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭

Just seen on the afternoon show there a 52inch sony Lcd tv is E3,300 here and if you go up north the exact same tv is £1,344 thats a difference of E1,300 euros, its in argos by the way...

That is baffling to say the least, extrodinary price difference:eek::eek::eek::confused::rolleyes::eek::eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Not surprised - virtually everything in argos is more expensive than last year (old catalogue vs new catalogue).

While everyone is dropping prices argos are putting them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Should be posted in the ripoff Argos thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

But 1300 euros:mad: thats a whole christmas for some familys

Its disgusting the way were robbed here, they were going through a list of things in tesco too, every thing was nearly half the price up there for example bottle of wine £4.69 same bottle down here E12.89 its not right

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Does anybody know the cost of the RTE Guide up North ?

Every other rag that rails about the price differentials is also gouging us.

(Not defending the price differentials in any way).

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

I am looking to get a 6 month smile brace. I had a consultation in Dublin and the cost is between €4,000 - €5,000. I contacted a few orthodontists in the North and for the same treatment it is £1,500!

HELLO! Big Difference!

Needless to say I know where I will be going! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Gringo180 wrote: »
    bottle of wine £4.69 same bottle down here E12.89 its not right

Do you know how taxes and excise duty work ? As well as a host of other economic factors ?

Why don't people complain about the price differences between Dunnes in Ireland and Dunnes in Spain, or Tesco in Ireland and Tesco in China ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Jip wrote: »
    Do you know how taxes and excise duty work ? As well as a host of other economic factors ?

Why don't people complain about the price differences between Dunnes in Ireland and Dunnes in Spain, or Tesco in Ireland and Tesco in China ?

It's the fact that I can get in my car and drive for 60 mins, pick up the tv and wine and be back home in time to watch Nationwide €1300 richer.

The China thing sounds great but I'd miss Nationwide and would have drank the wine and would have spent the €1300.00 on transport and hotels.

Seriously, taxes and excise duties cannot explain a 1300 Euro difference in price. Nobody in their right mind would pay that much more, especially as you can buy the same goods legally in the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I'm talking about the wine, not the t.v., the t.v. is inexcusable.

I'm asking why aren't people complaining about the price differences between every other county that's cheaper than Ireland, why do people feel that because the UK is so close and easy to get to we should have the same prices as there ?

I'm asking why aren't people complaining about the price differences between every other county that's cheaper than Ireland, why do people feel that because the UK is so close and easy to get to we should have the same prices as there ?

Yeah the TV thing is beyond belief.

The wine is the same but on a different scale as in you can still jump in your car and go get it.

It's the fact that you can have both prices from the same companies no more than a few miles apart from each other.

If you had to go to Spain it wouldn't be a bargain so there's no realistic comparison to be made.

You can see what's happened with Cadburys Roses this year. Dunnes are selling them for 5.99 Euro. Two years ago they were 12.00.

The only reason these jokers dropped their prices was because people were getting the bulk of their Christmas shopping in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

you should just install a bot that gives this same answer every time.
    it is annoying for the OP that wants to report something he/she feels is not right. and its boring.

btw, i cant drive to china in an hour otherwise I would complain about the price difference with them too.

the TV may be inexcusable, but % wise the wine is just as bad.. do the math.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

F##k Argos; Absolute rip off. My friend stopped buying off them because they recently increased the prices in their autumn catalogue only to offer price cuts on these new higher prices.:mad:

Gives you an idea what they get away with in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Skopzz wrote: »
    F##k Argos; Absolute rip off. My friend stopped buying off them because they recently increased the prices in their autumn catalogue only to offer price cuts on these new higher prices.:mad:

Gives you an idea what they get away with in ireland.

They only get away with it if people are stupid enough to give them their hard-earned cash.

I've yet to find anything in the likes of Argos or any other supposed "bargain" chain, that I can't buy for less in a homegrown store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The main reason is that Northern Ireland is on the same island and so transport costs in getting the TV from China/Japan or the wine from France or Australia should be more or less the same, I know other costs such as excise are higher or alcohol and VAT is slightly higher, perhaps a 15-20% price difference can be explained but the differences on some items are massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

nmesisca wrote: »

the TV may be inexcusable, but % wise the wine is just as bad.. do the math.
    Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Nobody in their right mind would pay that much more.
    Exactly, like most of the posts here in "non-bargain alerts", the posts are not really helpful to anybody, just endless lists of expensive items spotted in shops which only a complete idiot would buy, "I saw a mars bar for €5 in a shop, do I win a prize".

I doubt such stupid people can even use a PC so any "warnings" are being wasted on them. If you genuinely found a cheap TV in the north there is a forum espeically for it where you might actually benefit people.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1206

rubadub wrote: »
    Exactly, like most of the posts here in "non-bargain alerts", the posts are not really helpful to anybody, just endless lists of expensive items spotted in shops which only a complete idiot would buy, "I saw a mars bar for €5 in a shop, do I win a prize".

I doubt such stupid people can even use a PC so any "warnings" are being wasted on them. If you genuinely found a cheap TV in the north there is a forum espeically for it where you might actually benefit people.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1206

The point is though that some people did and will buy the tv at the higher price. Not because they were stupid (a bit harsh), but because they didn't know it could be got cheaper elsewhere.

That's why the Rip off Ireland forum is a good thing. It helps people make informed decisions about their purchases.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

The point is though that some people did and will buy the tv at the higher price. Not because they were stupid (a bit harsh), but because they didn't know it could be got cheaper elsewhere.

That's why the Rip off Ireland forum is a good thing. It helps people make informed decisions about their purchases.

Are you kidding? certain people bought certain high priced items because they didn't know it could be got cheaper elsewhere as a result of not doing the slightest bit of research before they bought, but these same people are just informed enough to be looking at this subforum? without this subforum those same certain people would not have thought of researching the same high priced items before buying?...sounds like a joke to me. :D

I like this forum, it occasionally has good, informative threads, the vast majority are utter bull though, taking a narrow scope, whingy, moany view of irish prices Vs elsewhere in the world. Hopefully posters will cop on and start posting how X retailer in Ireland is ripping us off because Y retailer in Ireland is selling the same product cheaper.

Mactard wrote: »
    Are you kidding? certain people bought certain high priced items because they didn't know it could be got cheaper elsewhere as a result of not doing the slightest bit of research before they bought, but these same people are just informed enough to be looking at this subforum? without this subforum those same certain people would not have thought of researching the same high priced items before buying?...sounds like a joke to me. :D

I like this forum, it occasionally has good, informative threads, the vast majority are utter bull though, taking a narrow scope, whingy, moany view of irish prices Vs elsewhere in the world. Hopefully posters will cop on and start posting how X retailer in Ireland is ripping us off because Y retailer in Ireland is selling the same product cheaper.

I'm not saying that this is the only place where one can be informed about the best place to buy your new TV or what ever:D It is just one of them.

Hopefully posters will cop on and start posting how X retailer in Ireland is ripping us off because Y retailer in Ireland is selling the same product cheaper.

Are you saying posters should just complain about price differences in the Republic of Ireland? It looks that way from the quote above. This thread started because a TV could be got for over a 1000 cheaper in the North so it's a very valid thread. Had the poster restricted his post to just price comparisons in the south, we might be talking about a 50 Euro difference.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Are you saying posters should just complain about price differences in the Republic of Ireland? It looks that way from the quote above. This thread started because a TV could be got for over a 1000 cheaper in the North so it's a very valid thread. Had the poster restricted his post to just price comparisons in the south, we might be talking about a 50 Euro difference.

Yes, that's part of what i'm saying. As far as economics goes the north might as well be attached physically to the rest of the UK in our minds as the north are subject to the UK's taxation, wage, rent rates, whereas we are subject to the irish governments tax rates etc.

Yes, that's part of what i'm saying. As far as economics goes the north might as well be attached physically to the rest of the UK in our minds as the north are subject to the UK's taxation, wage, rent rates, whereas we are subject to the irish governments tax rates etc.

In an ideal world that would be perfect.

The problem is that there are a lot of price difference between north and south that cannot be put down to tax, rates, wage costs etc.

The TV purchase by the OP of this thread would appear to be a good example of that.

I personally don't think it's realistic to just have the ROI forum restricted to businesses operating in the Republic. That's not living in the real world.

I do think the mods should vet all new threads in this forum to ensure that there is a genuine price difference after all genuine business costs have been allowed for. Only then should the thread be posted.

• Advertisement

The problem is that there are a lot of price difference between north and south that cannot be put down to tax, rates, wage costs etc.

The TV purchase by the OP of this thread would appear to be a good example of that.

That's very true, but why bother discussing a product from one retailer being cheaper in the UK than over here when the difference in price of the same product over here between competitors over here is likely to be around €50 (i'm using your figure, may not be accurate but lets use that to illustrate the point being made).

There's a bigger issue than simply saying X is cheaper in argos in the north than argos south. X may well be cheaper in the north than the south, but it's comparably priced to other retailers in the south, which is the market being operated in.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 b4nd1t

That's very true, but why bother discussing a product from one retailer being cheaper in the UK than over here when the difference in price of the same product over here between competitors over here is likely to be around €50 (i'm using your figure, may not be accurate but lets use that to illustrate the point being made).

There's a bigger issue than simply saying X is cheaper in argos in the north than argos south. X may well be cheaper in the north than the south, but it's comparably priced to other retailers in the south, which is the market being operated in.

i think that then misses the point of the rip off ireland thread??:rolleyes:

of course you should be comparing all products from all companies north and south and on the uk mainland... we want to know and discuss in this forums rip offs in ireland as per the OECD report released just recently, Ireland's prices are a rip off and should be comparable to its BIGGEST and CLOSEST trading partner (the UK). or we can just bury our head in the sands and pretend not to compare anything unless all criterion match.:pac:

The biggest issue for people is getting as much value as they can for their hard earned cash. That may not suit SOME retailers who just want us to pay up and shut up.

The market we operate in is Europe. If I lived in France and goods were cheaper in Germany I would cross the border to get my goods there. I don't live in France but I can legally cross a border at very little expense in time and money and get some of the stuff I need here.

This forum wouldn't exist if there wasn't a need for it.
    Like I said in my earlier post, this forum should only highlight genuine rip offs allowing for currency conversion, taxes and all the rest.

Advertisement