Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certificate granted x 3

Options
  • 05-11-2009 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

I came home today to see three nondescript white envelopes sitting on the rocking chair for me.

Now, I know it wasn't bank statements because I had one of those buggers give me a false alarm Monday :rolleyes:

So, it could only be one (x 3) thing.

I did say a quick prayer, really.

Shotgun was first, applied for an ordinary license and had put a DIY bung in the magazine to reduce capacity from 4+1 to 2+1.

Relief, but not the one I was looking for.

Opened the second envelope...

The Joy :D

.223 successful and granted :D

Happy camper = me :D

I had almost forgotten about my HMR application, I opened the third and (thankfully) final envelope, and yes, that too had been successful!

My extensions had run out 31/10/09. The grant letters were dated 1/11/09, better late than never ;)

It wasn't all I had expected but I'll start another topic on that in a minute.

To everyone here who is still waiting to hear anything at all, keep the faith :)

To everyone here and elsewhere who has read through my threads and given me advice publicly or via PM, my thanks go out to ye :)

And on that I'll bugger off and start that other thread.

ATB,

JG :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Congrats! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Nice one John.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Good to hear John.

Christmas came early for you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

clivej wrote: »
    Good to hear John.

And now my flexible friend will be taking several kicks to the guts to pay for it Clive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

clivej wrote: »
    Good to hear John.

johngalway wrote: »
    And now my flexible friend will be taking several kicks to the guts to pay for it Clive :D

"Ouch"! ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah...

And then there's the moderators...

And then there's Christmas :D

At least I can blame being a cheapskate on the recession this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

great stuff john, enjoy every second of your new toys;) 2 new rifles:D

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Congrats john, lucky b*****d :D

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

Good man John, well done you!!!!

(Don't forget the rest of us ha! ha! ha!)

No, am not forgetting anyone WW. Still way too many caught up in this whole FUBAR situation, which IMO was not and is not of the shooters making. Too little information, way way way too late from the powers that be, bladly planned and implemented creating massive stress and a lot of expense on people when it could all have been done so much better and smoothly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭zulu_dawn

congrats

Hey John buy your gun and if you need to save money show the kids this;

817908295bee4a71a236e5fbee4506ad9a5e489f2555310.jpg
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

ezridax wrote: »
    Hey John buy your gun and if you need to save money show the kids this;

817908295bee4a71a236e5fbee4506ad9a5e489f2555310.jpg

Harsh...

But fair Ezri, harsh but fair :D

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Yeah...

And then there's the moderators...

And then there's Christmas :D

At least I can blame being a cheapskate on the recession this year :D
    No word of the moderator on your granting letters John?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Good for you, happy day's.

ayapatrick wrote: »
    No word of the moderator on your granting letters John?

Not a thing ever Patrick. I'm going to wait now until my paper (plastic my arse) licenses come back and go from there. Grant letters plus payment went off this morning.

I paid by Visa and had reason to call the enquiry line. As my Visa consists of 16 numbers, yet there was 19 space boxes on the form. I was wondering if they were looking for the three digit code on the back of the card but I was told no, just the 16 raised numbers on the front of the card, amount, expiry date and sign it.

Photocopied everything, sealed the envelopes with sellotape, and registered the three of them separately.

........Grant letters plus payment went off this morning.......

You'll have them back by Thursday or Friday at latest John. Give them credit where credit is due. 5 working day return.

ezridax wrote: »
    You'll have them back by Thursday or Friday at latest John. Give them credit where credit is due. 5 working day return.

I do Ezri, when it's due :)

I've been saying for a while it's not the doing of the local Gardai most of us have to be dealing with, but the system is of the making of their higher ups and the Dept of (in)Justice, (un)Equality and (misplaced)Law Reform.

I'll be more than happy to have my licenses back that quick :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

You know I find it ironic that people who complain so bitterly at being demonised as a group, find it so easy in turn to demonise another group.

I try and base my prejudices on what I know :rolleyes:

rrpc wrote: »
    You know I find it ironic that people who complain so bitterly at being demonised as a group, find it so easy in turn to demonise another group.

I try and base my prejudices on what I know :rolleyes:

Dermot Ahern is a nice guy who has balanced and fair views on shooting then? And his department and some top level Gardai rolled out the necessary information and made it available to the public in good time?

Cos if the above is correct, I must be wrong.

• Advertisement

Dermot Ahern is a nice guy who has balanced and fair views on shooting then? And his department and some top level Gardai rolled out the necessary information and made it available to the public in good time?

Cos if the above is correct, I must be wrong.
    Dermot Ahern is not a group.

But as for the rest, it seems that you don't demonise the Gardai you deal with because you know them, but the guys above them and the civil servants in the DoJ are fair game because you don't?

That's what I mean. I'm not saying that the situation is great, I'm not saying that there weren't mistakes, I'm not even saying that the law is right. I'm just saying that demonising a group of people because of where they work is unfair, the same way that demonising the shooting community was wrong.

Hang on now a second.

First off, I don't know who pissed on your cornflakes today, but it wasn't me, so I don't really understand the mood of some of the comments directed at me today.

Secondly, I'm not demonising anyone. I'm saying that the roll out of the new licensing system was bloody laughable, which it was.

Had all their ducks been lined up properly then the Dept or Gardai could have run an information campaign since say May. In that campaign there could have been a questions/answers style forum made available to the shooting community. Samples of the forms could have been released for prior viewing. The very relevent SI's and the Commissioners guidelines could have been published at the start of the campaign.

ALL of that would have greatly helped avoid the colossal mess that had instead been created. Lads waiting to hear from manufacturers if their safes were up to spec. People getting alarms installed. Getting letters signed about permissions (I sent none and got licenses approved, I know of others who are saying their local stations are demanding same letters). Lads being refused target rifles because no range is designated.

I am critical of the situation, because "they" made a hames of it.

On the law itself, not everyone find it easy to read or comprehend, not all of us went to college and I'm sure no all of us who did were made the brightest crayons in the box.

Yes, a lot of people came on here for info, I thought that was the point of the place? I asked for a lot of it, and I think I thanked all who gave it (at the time of giving and also yesterday).

I didn't sit on my arse with that information, I also helped people in my area with their forms and had people from all over the country text and email me asking me questions, if I could help I did, if I didn't know I said so.

I'm critical because I'm also worried for a lot of other people and but for the grace of God it could be me in their **** situation.

Are some things going right? Yes, they are. But a heap of needless red tape seems to have descended in some districts on situations and people who got licensed easily and properly under the old system.

As far as demonising goes. "They" would only be too happy to take my guns, your guns, and everyone else guns who post here. The type of nonsese put out that the shape of a gun makes it more dangerous type bull****.

ALL I AM LOOKING FOR THEM TO DO IS BE SENSIBLE AND HAVE A DECENT APPROACH TOWARDS LAW ABIDING SHOOTERS.

And that is so not happening in some cases where the grant of licenses should be relatively straightforward once the individual met the criteria put forth.

End of bleeding rant.

I'm not pissed off with you John nor is there any urine in my cornflakes. ;)

I just don't like blanket comdemnations of a group of people because of where they work. That's all, I think it's wrong. simple.

I have friends who work in banks who are ordinary joes the same as you or me who get lambasted every day because of where they work, that's wrong too.

As a group we got sh1t shovelled at us in the media and from the Minister and that's wrong too.

Could I be clearer? If not, try this:

The Minister came out and said he wanted to do stuff because he didn't like the way things were going: with me so far?

He then did that stuff and his 'minions' in the Department and the Gardai carried out his bidding as is their role.

And we call them names because they did their jobs as they saw fit. Do you follow?

Sorry if i started a s**t storm there lads. My comment of credit where credit is due was not directed at you personally John but more a general statement of thanks for a section of this whole debacle that seems to be flowing quick and effectively from the get go. I know the pay at your local PO is not up and running but considering the average is 5 days for a license to be sent of for and returne is pretty good (i think).

In relation to the debate between the two of you (rrpc and john) i would agree with everything you both said, however rrpc its easy to be calm, level headed and logical when you have time to think and analyse a situation but in the heat of the moment and that includes typing here you run away with yourself. To go back to your reference to the banking situation, i and most others will never meet the "higher ups" or whatever you call them. Most of the time we meet or deal with ground level or supervisory capacity people and as these are the ones we meet we take our frustrations out on them. You are right that its not their fault but when you can't get to the top you vent at any level you can.

Same theory applies to the Gardai. Ahern kick started this but never forget the Commissioner had/has as much input if not more. Ahern could in a year or few years be in a different post and the commissioner uses him to get what he wants while he can. Gardai of every level have their own opinions on firearm ownership and while we dislike some or all the measures put into practice we will most likely never meet the Minister, Commissioner or even some Chief Super for that matter so as is human nature we take out our frustrations on the people we meet daily or easily ie. the man on the hatch. I try to remain calm and focused but even you cannot say you haven't lost your cool and cursed an entire genus based on the actions of a few.

You're quite right Ezri, I have. And I'm probably still guilty of doing it from time to time, but when you meet somebody who's been on the receiving end of such unfair treatment, it gives you pause for thought.

There's nobody here from a different planet, we're all related :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I'm not pissed off with you John nor is there any urine in my cornflakes. ;)

I just don't like blanket comdemnations of a group of people because of where they work. That's all, I think it's wrong. simple.

I have friends who work in banks who are ordinary joes the same as you or me who get lambasted every day because of where they work, that's wrong too.

As a group we got sh1t shovelled at us in the media and from the Minister and that's wrong too.

Could I be clearer? If not, try this:

The Minister came out and said he wanted to do stuff because he didn't like the way things were going: with me so far?

He then did that stuff and his 'minions' in the Department and the Gardai carried out his bidding as is their role.

And we call them names because they did their jobs as they saw fit. Do you follow?

Are you saying these people did a good job of rolling out the changes requested by the Minister?

Vegeta wrote: »
    Are you saying these people did a good job of rolling out the changes requested by the Minister?
    Missing. the. point. completely.

Because one shooter had his firearm stolen, all shooters are careless.

Not everyone is in a position to do something about stuff that goes FUBAR. But that's a good enough reason to call them all incompetent?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Missing. the. point. completely.

Evading. the. question. poorly.
    Not everyone is in a position to do something about stuff that goes FUBAR. But that's a good enough reason to call them all incompetent?

Again I ask do you think this has been project managed well? Are you saying that Minister Aherne managed this all personally and the blame is his alone?

See I would have thought his employees implemented and managed the changes so the blame for the mess we find ourselves in now should land on them. Not all of them mind, just the decision making ones, kinda like what John said.

Vegeta wrote: »
    Evading. the. question. poorly.
    No, I'm not.

And you shouldn't read a thread backwards. My comment was made to John's post where he made a disparaging reference to the entire DoJELR. To which I objected on the grounds that it is wrong to demonise an entire group.
    Again I ask do you think this has been project managed well? Are you saying that Minister Aherne managed this all personally and the blame is his alone?
    And that still isn't the point. This discussion is about taking a swing at an entire group because you're unhappy with the decisions or actions of a small number of them. In my opinion that's wrong.
    See I would have thought his employees implemented and managed the changes so the blame for the mess we find ourselves in now should land on them. Not all of them mind, just the decision making ones, kinda like what John said.
    Not kinda like John said, he said this:
    the Dept of (in)Justice, (un)Equality and (misplaced)Law Reform.

Which is what I objected to. And not very strenuously mind, I just said it was ironic that we can complain about being demonised as a group but are as quick to do it ourselves.

But you want to take that to mean that I applaud everything they do without qualification. That's a very binary view of the world.

I don't, but I don't stoop to abuse either because it's not productive, and life's too short.

• Advertisement

My final input to this is I've said what I have said and still stand by it. I'm not going to contribute further as minds won't be changed by it and it will only serve to raise blood pressures and tempers.

A few things said today had no need to be said and I'd appreciate if they weren't continued to be said.

That's all I got to say.

Advertisement