Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Waste Collection Inquiry

Options
  • 05-11-2009 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

I am currently researching the market for the best deal in Domestic Waste collection for my mother.

We have had our fingers burned before on this issue, with domestic waste companies going el smacko right in the middle of the year.

"Davis" was one of the companies which went bang, and we ended up having to go back to Noble, before they went Greenstar etc.

I am leaning towards Eurowaste at the moment, as they have offered me a very reasonable deal.

However, with past experiences, and with the current economic climate {companies folding etc} where would I be if I paid up front for 2010 and the service provider went out of business mid-year??

What would be options be for a refund, transfer of undertaking etc.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The companys available to you will depend on your area, which we don't know.
    However, I pay by DD with Allied Waste in Leixlip. See if that option is available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

IT Loser wrote: »
    What would be options be for a refund, transfer of undertaking etc.

If you pay up front, and the company goes bankrupt, then you'll lose the money you paid. The only exception would be if you paid with a credit card, and even then it would depend on how long it had been since you paid, and on the bank itself, as to whether you'd get any refund or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you pay upfront and the company goes bust, then you'll probably join the list of creditors and will be unlikely to recoup the unused part of your fees. I'm not sure what happens in the case of paying by credit card (but paying by credit card is always a good option - more protection).

Try and find a company where you pay in installments or by period. That will reduce the risk.

You'll probably be better off going with one of the established names. They might charge a little more but you'll have more surety of service.

Advertisement