Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No mention of my moderator application on my grant letters?

Options
  • 05-11-2009 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

As per my recent topic I have had certs granted for my three firearms. But, I also applied (first time on each) for a moderator for my .223 as my hearing is damaged, I shoot near horses and other livestock, I do not wish to disturb people at night with noise pollution, and also I do not wish to scare away other foxes. I also applied for a moderator for my new .17HMR, that will mostly be to shoot rabbits, and I gave similar reasons as per my .223 moderator application.

What, if any, news have we on the moderator issue please? I have not contacted anyone as yet on this matter. I don't want to be left in the position that I (a.) have to shell out an extra €80 for a moderator license, nor do I want to (b.) be liable to install an alarm if they then say I have five firearms (shotgun, .17HMR, .223, .22lr mod, .223 mod).

All advice appreciated :)

ATB,

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

johngalway wrote: »
    Hi folks,

As per my recent topic I have had certs granted for my three firearms. But, I also applied (first time on each) for a moderator for my .223 as my hearing is damaged, I shoot near horses and other livestock, I do not wish to disturb people at night with noise pollution, and also I do not wish to scare away other foxes. I also applied for a moderator for my new .17HMR, that will mostly be to shoot rabbits, and I gave similar reasons as per my .223 moderator application.

What, if any, news have we on the moderator issue please? I have not contacted anyone as yet on this matter. I don't want to be left in the position that I (a.) have to shell out an extra €80 for a moderator license, nor do I want to (b.) be liable to install an alarm if they then say I have five firearms (shotgun, .17HMR, .223, .22lr mod, .223 mod).

All advice appreciated :)

ATB,

John
    I also got my licences, had also applied for a moderator for my rifles,no sign of it, I believe that you have to get a seperate letter from your super ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Thanks DH1,

Pointless putting a bloody silencer tick box on the application form then IMO.

I'll have to write a letter to my Supernintendo in that case and see what comes of it.

ATB,

John

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Same here. I phone the Supers secretary yeaterday about it and she told me that there's a lot of documents waiting for the Super to get though and get signed.
    But it would look like its going to be the same paper permission letters for the Super that we are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

same here aswell....got my licence for the 223 today with nowt on it concerning the mod I applied for...I too ticked the right boxes.
    I will be taking in last years mod permission notice that was granted no bother and ask whats the story..I`m sure it will get sorted in the long run...The boys in blue are pretty good out my way

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

dwighet wrote: »
    ......I will be taking in last years mod permission notice that was granted ..........

Good advice. I have the same mod grant letter for the last few years. Got it restamped 12th August for another year. Didn't know how the license thing would work out so thought it best to go in "armed" with a previousy authorised letter.

If it is the case of a seperate letter i'll just keep getting mine stamped each year.

PS - I did apply for a mod on my license and did not get anything on the grant letter or license to say it was approved. Thank God for the letter.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Ah yes, but I have no previous mod or permission.

I think I'll just send in a letter outlining the same reasons I gave with the letter I attached to the application form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Ah yes, but I have no previous mod or permission.

I think I'll just send in a letter outlining the same reasons I gave with the letter I attached to the application form.
    Wait until you get your licences. The conditions of your licence are on the back of the letter you get and your mod permission might be on that.

The grant letter has very little info on it. It's much like the acknowledgment letter.

Sound, will do!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The FO can do it for you. Lets face it the Super relys on his FO to inform him about each application so its not a stretch to think he can stamp in on behalf of the Super (with his nod of approval) but you know your FO better than me so if you want to be sure to be sure, send in the letter seeking permission. Bring your grant letter/license. You can show him it was approved (with the silencer box on the FCA1 ticked.)

Good Luck.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmyzx

Don't know if my experience sheds anymore light on the matter but,I applied for a mod for the first time also, for my .22 and .223 a few weeks ago. I had to send in a letter stating why I needed one along with my applications.
    Anyway I got my approval for my rifles Tuesday this week and also on the same day in a separate envelope I got my permits for my mods, signed by the Super and valid for 3 years also. So maybe this is the way they have decided to run with moderator permits?:confused: I'll know for sure next week when my licences return!!!
    From what I have read on boards, is that an "S" on your licence doesn't seem to be happening.
    Hope this helps ;)

• Advertisement

Hi folks,

well I got my licences last week no sign of permission for moderators, went to see my FO today ref them. FO went straight to the Chief super (i was there) at first he said no to get ear muffs,but after some persuasion from my FO he said OK but that I do not need a letter once I applied for a moderator with my licence application for my rifles and the fact I was granted my licences with the moderator box ticked it is considered that my moderator's are permitted. I understood that should you apply for a moderator after your licence is granted then it willl cost you an additional 80Euro per moderator

well I got my licences last week no sign of permission for moderators, went to see my FO today ref them. FO went straight to the Chief super (i was there) at first he said no to get ear muffs,but after some persuasion from my FO he said OK but that I do not need a letter once I applied for a moderator with my licence application for my rifles and the fact I was granted my licences with the moderator box ticked it is considered that my moderator's are permitted. I understood that should you apply for a moderator after your licence is granted then it willl cost you an additional 80Euro per moderator

That sounds strange as he first said to get ear muffs but then pretty much says you were already granted permission?

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not doubting your word, I just like to be careful :)

That sounds strange as he first said to get ear muffs but then pretty much says you were already granted permission?

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not doubting your word, I just like to be careful :)

I just think it was just a humourus sarcastic joke when he asked why I wanted them but he was ok about them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Iwas in the same boat...rang the fo today and asked why no mod on my cert...he told me its on record in the system with a mod so"work away Dwighet"...

That will do me...;)

I just think it was just a humourus sarcastic joke when he asked why I wanted them but he was ok about them

Them boys have a funny sense of humour, lol :)

Advertisement