Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming pension!!

Options
  • 05-11-2009 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

If you're emmigrating is it possible to claim your pension???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Trankton wrote: »
    If you're emmigrating is it possible to claim your pension???

You need to elaborate....how old are you??...what pension are you talking about? state pension?? personal pension??

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Trankton

namloc1980 wrote: »
    You need to elaborate....how old are you??...what pension are you talking about? state pension?? personal pension??

Sorry, hadn't even thought of that. I'm 31 and it's a personal pension, actually I have 2 pensions. So, if I'm leaving the country for good can I claim those 2 personal pensions??

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Very interesting question!

I don't know. But it has got me thinking!!

Check your terms and conditions or ring your pension provider and ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Due to the fact that tax relief is granted on pension contributions, the rule of thumb is that the fund cannot be enjoyed prior to retirement. The only exceptions are in the event of disability or on early retirement in some cases (generally 55 yrs old upwards). I would think it very unlikely that you could encash the fund given your current age, the state grant the tax relief to encourage pension funding as it makes you less relient on the state in old age, to allow encashment before retirement would be to open up a whole can of loophole shaped worms.

Advertisement