Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Packet Loss

• 05-11-2009 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

I'm getting high packet loss constantly with my NTL connection.
    I've tried this using my main rig (using wireless adapter), my laptop (wirelessly and connected directly with the cisco cable modem) and the results always show up packet loss between 50% and 90%.

2589786.png

What is the best course of action here. Is this something that NTL can fix or are there settings in the cisco modem I can change.

Thanks

HJ

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 acs 1

I'm getting high packet loss constantly with my NTL connection.
    I've tried this using my main rig (using wireless adapter), my laptop (wirelessly and connected directly with the cisco cable modem) and the results always show up packet loss between 50% and 90%.

2589786.png

What is the best course of action here. Is this something that NTL can fix or are there settings in the cisco modem I can change.

Thanks

HJ
    Yeah i've been getting 58% packet loss for the past week or so, i have rang them and they tell me it's fine and i'm not losing packets, but lagging in games and i could hardly use my phone last night tell's me different. I'm in Dublin 3 and using pingtest.net as my main test but have used others with the same result.
    2594904.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I dont trust pingtest.net as it shows me with packet loss too even wihen i do pingtests via the command prompt and get no loss at all.
    As for lagging in games and voip i am getting that but thats because my ping is erratic and jumps all over the place.

Can you guys try the command prompt pingtest please to see if you are actually getting packet loss or just getting the same erratic pings i get?

Via the command box type this in.....
    ping -n 100 www.heanet.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Cheers game4it70,

Ping results show:
    Ping statistics for 193.1.219.57:
        Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 55ms, Average = 17ms

Looks like all's good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Thanks for doing the test and it shows the same pings as i get.They used to be between 7ms and 11ms now like yourself i get random spikes of upto 80ms to that site and all others accordingly.
    For your speedtests UPCrap only take this as a proper result most of the time depending on who you speak to in support.
    http://www.upc.nl/internet/snel_internet/speedtest/

You can also try downloading a large file to check speeds from here
    http://ftp.heanet.ie/disk1/ubuntu-cdimage/ubuntu-moblin-remix/releases/9.10/release/ubuntu-moblin-remix-9.10-moblin-remix-i386.iso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

First off, UPC won't only accept their own speedtest.
    They just won't accept Speedtest.net, as no ISP will, as it can give ridiculous results in Ireland.

The best site to use is speedtest.magnet.ie
    As they use speedtest.net optomised for Ireland.

Secondly, http://www.pingtest.net is a load of crap.

Run your own pingtests as suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 MindFast

I was gettin major packet loss as well but command prompt says otherwise with very regular pings

Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 32ms, Average = 2ms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Not to get off topic but UPC 20mb has been awful for me lately, getting 5mb/s on a Saturday Afternoon, usually it's 18-20mb/s.

Showing 0% packet loss aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

The pingtest.net will give you a F rating if you're on UPC because the EPC2425 router has IP flood protection enabled by default, you're getting normal results when you try pinging something from command prompt but pingtest.net sends out 250 pings in a couple of seconds which the router doesn't like. To see normal results either turn off the firewall or disable IP flood protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭BOZG

There seems to be some conflict between the Cisco router firewall and software firewalls. If you're using a decent software firewall, you should be ok with switching off the router firewall and it should resolve the issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

yo found this.

im getting packetloss of 58%, pinging above 100 and jitter in the mid 300's.

would turning off flood detection and firewall be ok on a machine running avast home?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 balbhagusog

disabling the cisco firewall changed my packet loss from 59%-80% down to 0%.

roll on CoD:WaW.

Balbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jay247sniper

BOZG wrote: »
    There seems to be some conflict between the Cisco router firewall and software firewalls. If you're using a decent software firewall, you should be ok with switching off the router firewall and it should resolve the issue.
    hay there m8 can you let me know how you turn off the router firewall on upc i tryed everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

disabling the cisco firewall changed my packet loss from 59%-80% down to 0%.

roll on CoD:WaW.

Balbh

You do realize of coarse you werent actually getting packet loss at all, only pingtest.net said you were. Turning off the firewall will do next to nothing in terms of your connection. No game will flood the modem with enough packets to trigger the firewall.

In short if your worried that a website says you have a poor connection then turn off the firewall so it then says you do.... but it makes no difference other than that one site. Learn how to run an actual CMD ping and see for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 kevinm07

hay there m8 can you let me know how you turn off the router firewall on upc i tryed everything

Id like to know this aswell..keep getting disconnected on Black Ops, turned off the firewall when i used to play MW2 and it stopped the lag but it obviously somehow enabled itself again but cant remember how i turned the firewall off. Also the pingtest is unable to test my packet loss so there must be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

BOZG wrote: »
    sorry, but that's ridiculous advice. you can't compare a software based firewall on a pc to a hardware SPI firewall running on a router.

its like standing on a street in Baghdad and saying to someone "here, you don't need that heavy uncomfortable bulletproof vest, it's just getting in your way. why don't you wear this cardigan instead, you'll be fine". :rolleyes:

as has already been said several times in this thread, for the most part www.pingtest.net is bull$hit and you can feel free to discount pretty much anything it gives you regarding packet loss if you're on UPC.

turning off your firewall or disabling IP flood detection on the router will help one thing and one thing only and that is your www.pingtest.net results which are totally meaningless and for 99% of users do not reflect any real world issues you think you might have.

the bad news is, that even with a software firewall on your PC, if you've turned off your routers firewall you've basically just done the online equivalent of leaving your front door wide open for anyone who might be interested and that is NEVER a good move.

by all means run a software firewall on your PC's, there's no harm in it, but you'd have to be a clown to disable a hardware firewall on your router for no good reason (or any reason come to think of it) on a home internet connection.

chances are, if you're an online gamer and you're having problems, it's down to port forwarding issues. to solve port forwarding issues, you need to do two things.
    1. find out what port(s) your game of choice uses.
    2. learn how to open those ports on your particular router.
    job done and no more online gaming issues without compromising your security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 isurfer

Randomly changing settings on your network without knowing the source of the problem is never a good idea. The problem could be your ISP, your modem (including SNR values), cabling in your home and yes, it could be your firewall. Use this packet loss tool to find the source of trouble. It will send out a ping to your IP address about every 7 or 8 seconds and also to all of the routers on the route to you in your ISP. If it's ISP congestion, you will know. If it finds packet loss at your site, you can try systematically changing things to eliminate the trouble including temporarily disabling your hardware firewall. If the problem is solved by disabling your firewall, then it is probably configured incorrectly for how you are using the Internet.

Advertisement