Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gyms in waterford?

• 05-11-2009 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭

so im a student at WIT, the college gym is absolutely diabolical (atleast for bodybuilding), and kingfisher is too expensive, are there any alternatives?, i live near the harveys pub, so anything close to there would be a +, and it would be a major win if its open until very late (around mid night or more?)

thanks alot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

so im a student at WIT, the college gym is absolutely diabolical (atleast for bodybuilding), and kingfisher is too expensive, are there any alternatives?, i live near the harveys pub, so anything close to there would be a +, and it would be a major win if its open until very late (around mid night or more?)

thanks alot
    down your neck of the woods you have the tower hotel its pretty decent. Not sure of the price do.
    Also theres a newish one associated with the days hotel at the bridge on the quay. Its supposed to be fairly good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Waterford Weight Training Club.... up in the northern extension of the Industrial estate... its just before An Post sorting office. Not far from the college (bout 10 mins walk) but a good 25-30 walk from where your living

best gym around for weights. open till 9 most nights (mon-fri)

you'l have to call in and ask to speak to a comittee member about joining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

Typhoon. wrote: »
    Waterford Weight Training Club.... up in the northern extension of the Industrial estate... its just before An Post sorting office. Not far from the college (bout 10 mins walk) but a good 25-30 walk from where your living

best gym around for weights. open till 9 most nights (mon-fri)

you'l have to call in and ask to speak to a comittee member about joining

is that near bosh & lomb etc? its the Industrial state isnt that far, but hmm 9 is kinda early :O even the WIT one is open till 10, but i really could use a proper weight training club :rolleyes: EDIT what time does it open in the morning any idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

its meant to be one of the best weightlifting gyms in the country

opens at 7am i think...(I've never even thought about training that early so I've never found out for certain :D)

copy and paste these into google 52.255208, -7.149514 it'l bring up google maps showing roughly where it is. The northern extension of the industrial estate doesnt seem to me on google maps but it'l give you an idea anyway

Typhoon. wrote: »
    its meant to be one of the best weightlifting gyms in the country

opens at 7am i think...(I've never even thought about training that early so I've never found out for certain :D)

copy and paste these into google 52.255208, -7.149514 it'l bring up google maps showing roughly where it is. The northern extension of the industrial estate doesnt seem to me on google maps but it'l give you an idea anyway

niceone cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

thanks alot

What kind of bodybuilding are you looking for?? It has all the free weights you need to a any exercise you want. It has a smith machine, again to do what you wish. Are you restricted to certain exercises or something?

shapez wrote: »
    What kind of bodybuilding are you looking for?? It has all the free weights you need to a any exercise you want. It has a smith machine, again to do what you wish. Are you restricted to certain exercises or something?

smith machine is terrible and theres usually 5 people standing around for 1 person to get off, it forces you into a horrible form as well for bench presses and squats, and cant really deadlift because the weights dont go low enough, and obviously i cant do power cleans on a smith machine

theres no barbells at all, theres no cable cross over, there is no leg press, the only free weights are dumbells, theres nothing else there, cant even do chinups in there, no waterfountain (first gym ive been to where i need to pay for the water), want me to go on? :P

smith machine is terrible and theres usually 5 people standing around for 1 person to get off, it forces you into a horrible form as well for bench presses and squats, and cant really deadlift because the weights dont go low enough, and obviously i cant do power cleans on a smith machine

theres no barbells at all, theres no cable cross over, there is no leg press, the only free weights are dumbells, theres nothing else there, cant even do chinups in there, no waterfountain (first gym ive been to where i need to pay for the water), want me to go on? :P

You can bench press, deadlifts and squat with dumbbells. To be honest I do find the dumbbells light for deadlifts and squats. The leg press would be a big bonus but you can't go wrong with squats. Yes I agree, you would miss the power cleans. I think there reason there is no Olympic bar would be down to safety and students not knowing how to use equipment properly. The only thing I use the smith machine for is squats.

You hardly think a gym would have a protein fountain available? You can easily bring your own water as well. :P And at the price available to students, you have to admit, it's reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

Clano wrote: »
    down your neck of the woods you have the tower hotel its pretty decent. Not sure of the price do.
    Also theres a newish one associated with the days hotel at the bridge on the quay. Its supposed to be fairly good

Tower hotel offer 3/6/12 months @ 160/320/570 respectively took the 3 month offer myself as it doesn't tie me to a 12 month contract, note that this is the adult rate I don't know if they offer any student rates. The Tower is generally quiet as I think a lot of members have moved to Kingfisher and the like also the facilities are more dated.

They have 4 treadmills, 4 bikes, 1 cross-trainer, 1 stairclimber, 1 rower, 1 arm-bike machine, 1 chest press, 1 shoulder press, 1 leg pull and its opposite and a leg press, also free weights. Also a 12.5m pool, sauna, jacuzzi, steam room and plunge pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭nutzzz123

daywalker wrote: »
    Tower hotel offer 3/6/12 months @ 160/320/570 respectively took the 3 month offer myself as it doesn't tie me to a 12 month contract, note that this is the adult rate I don't know if they offer any student rates. The Tower is generally quiet as I think a lot of members have moved to Kingfisher and the like also the facilities are more dated.

They have 4 treadmills, 4 bikes, 1 cross-trainer, 1 stairclimber, 1 rower, 1 arm-bike machine, 1 chest press, 1 shoulder press, 1 leg pull and its opposite and a leg press, also free weights. Also a 12.5m pool, sauna, jacuzzi, steam room and plunge pool.

I thought it was a 20m pool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

nutzzz123 wrote: »
    I thought it was a 20m pool

maybe it is if so i stand corrected :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

maybe it is if so i stand corrected :o
    Yeah, I think it's a 20m. A 12.5m pool would be more like a bath ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Tower hotel offer 3/6/12 months @ 160/320/570

JESUS!!! Is this the average price in Waterford?

JESUS!!! Is this the average price in Waterford?

I'm afraid so. I often wonder what exactly people want from paying these kind of prices and how often they go to the gym? :rolleyes:

Advertisement