Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can people still afford a holiday?

Options
  • 05-11-2009 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Just wondering if people are planning a holiday for next year? Is the recession having an effect on our plans to "jet" off to the sun?

According to a report (UK-based, I think) numbers for winter holidays are up.

Are holidays recession proof?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,518 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It depends whether people have lost their job or not

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

im still working, thank god but am not going away next year.
    have a couple of summer weddings to go to, and 2 stages down the country that i will look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/tourism_travel/current/hotra.pdf

Foreign trips taken by Irish residents declined by 6.5% to 1,927,000 in Q2 2009 compared to Q2 2008. Holiday trips fell by 15% to 1,227,000 while those for business purposes were down 5.3% to 161,000. The extent of travel visiting friends and relatives fell very marginally. In total, foreign trips were down by 8.7% to 3,524,000 in the first half of 2009 compared to a year earlier.

Personally I took holidays in the 1980s and will continue to do so unless the country closes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Didn't go on holidays this year, in fact I'm actually on my holidays now!, just staying at home watching films and reading books. I'm enjoying myself anyway. Not the end of the world, everyone is healthy:)

Still have my job, GF lost hers.
    Her 12month Jobseeker's benefit ended in September, and she is not entitled to Jobseekers allowance as we are a couple (Gov incentive to break up:rolleyes:), so we had to eliminate anything of luxury. And some necessities too.

I made the budget from hell in September and we've stuck rigidly to it.
    Frugal isn't the word. Dev would be chuffed. Although I've yet to see these cumly maidens at the crossroads, there were a few gypsies tryin to rob a car alrite tho.;)

Honestly tho, we don't go outside the door anymore from Monday to Sunday, just can't afford it. I even cancelled my gym - that probably hurt the most:(
    We'll be renting with another couple now from January, saving amap and playing the waiting game.
    Long term plans are either buy a house here or emigrate to Canada, cross that bridge when we get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    ... Long term plans are either buy a house here or emigrate to Canada, cross that bridge when we get there.

I'm sorry that things are a bit difficult for you at the moment, and commend the good cheer you show about putting up with it.

I feel, however, that you need some information: there is no bridge linking us with Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I feel, however, that you need some information: there is no bridge linking us with Canada.

Don't be giving Tom Parlon ideas :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 A Keane

I went to Tenerife this time last year (well later in November). Was good value for money, but this year, even though the other half has ben laid off and we have the time, we don't have the money! Typical giveth and taketh in this country!

If i win the lotto, I'll be out of here quicker than you can say, well, lotto!

And a bridge to anywhere out of here is looking more and more like a good idea these days. I wouldn't be surpised if they reduce the term Budget to budge when the Govt. finally gets around to cutting whatever income we ahve to bits.

Bye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

we can actually afford a holiday next year but we're going to leave it as i'd prefer to have extra cash there if either of us lost our job of which there is only a very slim chance.
    My main reason though is i'm sick of doing the Spain/Portugal thing year in year out,we'll wait another year and maybe bring the kids to Africa maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 d00gle

There's a big bridge built up here in Donegal goin awaste! It the one nobody wanted aka "the blaney bridge"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

clare_boy wrote: »
    Just wondering if people are planning a holiday for next year?

Booked and deposit paid...:)

But I know lots who are thinking of giving it a miss in 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

There's a big bridge built up here in Donegal goin awaste! It the one nobody wanted aka "the blaney bridge"!

This has fascinated me since I saw it on RTE some time back....It seemed a fine feat of engineering right enough.....do tell the story d00gle....please ?? :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement