Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Cutting Out

Options
  • 05-11-2009 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I was wondering about problems with wireless modems. I have recently moved to southern Spain to study, and last week got WiFi in the apartment with a company called "Ono", who seem to be very reputable. We have three laptops on a 3mbp contract. However, a few days after getting the Wifi we noticed the connection seems to randomly come and go (not depending on the number of users connected), this happens every second day or so (other days, no problems at all). We normally try plugging in and out the modem until it works again (maybe after 15 mins) and then hoping it won't go again! Usually it will last for 10 mins and then cut out again. The actual connection from laptop to modem is very good (usually 4/5 bars).
    However, we also have no phone coverage on any network in the apartment.
    We have heard a few friends say that the city in general hasn't great Wireless connections (yet there is free WiFi in every local square), something got to do with 'localisation'(?)!
    I was wondering if anyone could help us shed some light on this problem, as it's driving us up the wall doing college work etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You need to give us a lot more information - as I keep saying on here we are not mind readers.

So how is the bb supplied, is it actually wireless bb or are you plugging a wireless router into some socket in the wall - what wireless modem is in place - have you tried changing channels - are there other wireless networks nearby etc etc. Have you made any attempt to distinguish whether its the basic bb signal thats that problem or the wireless router.

Please don't force us to extract the information painfully - give as much up front as you possible can.

Advertisement