Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAS OUR LANDLORD THE RIGHT TO KICK US OUT

Options
  • 05-11-2009 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hi all
    our landlord came for a inspection 3 days ago.we are 6 months into a year lease and he wants us out for the following reasons.the grass wasnt cut, a door was broken and the walls in the hallway and sitting room were "gruby" and he said that they need to be repainted.
    the lawns have been cut and the door has been fixed and the walls are still the same...does he have the right to kick us out now before our lease is up just because the hallway and sitting need repainting or are we entilted to stay for the remaining 6months???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Check what the lease says, i'd be inclined to think you've every right to stay put

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Have you checked with http://threshold.ie/?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 analbumcover

jmckabe wrote: »
    hi all
    our landlord came for a inspection 3 days ago.we are 6 months into a year lease and he wants us out for the following reasons.the grass wasnt cut, a door was broken and the walls in the hallway and sitting room were "gruby" and he said that they need to be repainted.
    the lawns have been cut and the door has been fixed and the walls are still the same...does he have the right to kick us out now before our lease is up just because the hallway and sitting need repainting or are we entilted to stay for the remaining 6months???

No, probably not... you're over 6 months you have got even more rights. The landlord has to provide a legitimate reason...

Go straight to threshold and the PRTB. If you file a grievance with the PRTB you have to pay, I think, a €75 fee but believe me it's well worth it. I had a landlord try to kick me out after I just paid rent, found people who'd pay more you see. Threshold and the PRTB came down on him like a ton of bricks. He never tried anything like that again...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

OP, is there any more info you have left out? Aside from the problems (grubby walls etc) do you feel you are keeping the house in proper condition?

If it was my house and after 6 months I got a horrible feeling my tenants were going to destroy it I'd want them out too. Doors don't normally break, walls tend to stay freshly painted for a little longer than 6 months... I'm not saying this is the case here hence my question in the first paragraph. If you are keeping the house in good order and these problems were once off things then I apologise and would agree with the other replies here and take it up with Threshold as it does not sound like enough to warrant breaking a lease.

Also, how long have you been living there? After 6 months the landlord must give you a reason for kicking you out.. anything under 6 months and he/she can ask you to leave without giving a reason (they must give you 28 days notice however).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

ocallagh wrote: »
    Also, how long have you been living there? After 6 months the landlord must give you a reason for kicking you out.. anything under 6 months and he/she can ask you to leave without giving a reason (they must give you 28 days notice however).

A 12 month lease runs both ways - neither party can break it without just cause.

• Advertisement
Advertisement