Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

market on tullow st

Options
  • 05-11-2009 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

hi everyone
    just wondering has anyone been in to the market thats on tullow st where old supervalu was
    if so wat did you think of it anythin nice there?
    basically is it worth going down to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I didnt think it was much good, and thats being honest! From what I heard on the radio I was expecting a bustling interesting market offering a whole range of items, but what I found was somewhat different, and dissapointing! Its fecking tiny too!!!

Go down if you want, maybe there'll be something there for you, but, hmmm, Penny Lane Market -1 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

Was in it once, didn't see much to attract my attention. Wasn't too busy either. Might find a few good things coming up to christmas though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

It open now Monday to Saturday afaik.
    Might even be Sunday too.
    On basis that it was ondly open Wednesday/Thursday to Saturday maybe this is a sign of increased footfall thus rendering it a success?
    Think there was an Ad in Nationalist this week which showed some stuff on sale.
    IF it's same place there was smelley stuff (bath salts, soaps etc.), handbags shoes etc. on sale.
    I've never been in fairness so not gonna chance passing judgment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Centra took over half that old store recently though I've not been in it or the market yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 carlowgal

i was in there yesterday,bought a great pair of boots,good value.some nice stalls from what i could see,i'm going in again later today,let you know what i find.:)

• Advertisement

Hi,i went to the market again yesterday(wearing my new boots!),made a start on my Christmas shopping.what i bought was good value,a bottle of perfume and some MAC makeup,a gorgeous wooden bowl from the Moroccan stand,a linen tablecloth and a talking doll(she is beautiful but very chatty),i thought the quality was very good for the prices i paid.i'm meeting some friends there on Wednesday morning at the coffee stand if anyone wants to join me-i'll be the girl in the red jumper and new boots!:D

carlowgal wrote: »
    Hi,i went to the market again yesterday(wearing my new boots!),made a start on my Christmas shopping.what i bought was good value,a bottle of perfume and some MAC makeup,a gorgeous wooden bowl from the Moroccan stand,a linen tablecloth and a talking doll(she is beautiful but very chatty),i thought the quality was very good for the prices i paid......

How much are they paying you?? :p

ha ha,maybe i'll get paid in make-up!or boots....will you be there on Wednesday?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

was in it last week and nothing of interest really except maybe the counterfeit cd/dvd stall. i wonder how long it will be before the guards raid them? overall i thought they were selling a lot of overpriced tat. and the centra next door was not ready to open with about a quarter of items with no prices displayed and walking the short distance to superquin will save you a packet if buying more than one or two items.

carlowgal wrote: »
    ha ha,maybe i'll get paid in make-up!or boots....will you be there on Wednesday?;)

You sure love your make up and boots!! :pac: Yeah, sure, I'll be there*, for that triving market experience like no other :p

* I'm not actually going to be there

• Advertisement

I've not actually been in but judging by comments on this thread alone, is it merely a glorified car-boot sale or country fair type akin to 15th? Plus a Centra (in time).
    Or is it worth popping into next time I'm "in town"?*
    If anyone from outside The Pale's a Culchie, then I must be a Red-Neck if I not from County Town by association?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Amanda7148

I read up on your posts about Penny Lane Market, and must admit I went in there with an open mind. You are right - it is open Monday to Saturday every week.

I spoke to the manager of the market when I was in there (her name is Madeleine and she runs the coffee shop just inside the door).

She was saying they have only re-opened a few weeks ago, so I think people should give it a chance. There were some good bits in there, def not all old tat. There is a really good punk/goth stall selling t shirts and outfits and shoes, and there is a really nice stall selling kids clothes as well. And not market stuff either - it is all Hannah Montana and character stuff like that. Nice shoes as well.

And as for the Centra, well there are good deals on meat just inside the door and they have got some offers on in there.

If I was shopping in Carlow I would go in there again to have a look round. I say give it a chance.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

are YOU the manager?

ShayK1 wrote: »
    are YOU the manager?

I was thinking the same myself, but, didnt want to say anything :D:pac:

I was thinking the same myself, but, didnt want to say anything :D:pac:

Tbh, I've my doubts about carlowgal too but I've said nothing so far.
    I'm keeping a close eye on both though.

I am disappointed you think I have any interest other than shopping in the market. Why is it that if someone like myself expresses my opinion in a positive way, it is automatically assumed I am the manager, which I am not.

What I saw, I liked, and I think that with a bit of time it will be a good place to shop, and believe me, Carlow definately needs a bit more variety, which I think this market seems to offer.

It is possible for people to differ in opinion - that's what makes forums like this interesting, isn't it?

Amanda

sorry.jpg

I is sowwy! :(

Seriously though, it did look a little iffy, two ladies on here, first posts, very enthueastic about a market which everyone else didnt have much to say about :)

I gave you the benefit of the doubt, that's why your post is still there. I'll still be keeping an eye on this thread though.

ShayK1
    Carlow Mod

I appreciate it may have looked iffy to you. I actually joined this site to look at all different stuff (and have a right old moan if necessary)!

Have no idea if Carlowgal is in charge of 'marketing'. Get it???!!!!

Amanda7148 wrote: »
    I actually joined this site to look at all different stuff (and have a right old moan if necessary)!

And you'll find a wide variety of stuff. Its a great site
    Have no idea if Carlowgal is in charge of 'marketing'. Get it???!!!!

Is see what you did there. Very funny!

• Advertisement

Was up there in at it today for first time.
    The Garden Section down the back is new. Woman manning the till said they ondly opened Monday.
    The DvD Selection there was fairly pithy. Not sure of standard or variety of games cos don't do computer games but that stall will hardly compete with Xtravision or even Empire. The era of buying dvds & cds in shops is on the wane & ondly the bigger multiples will survive I think.
    The Centra is fairly big though. Don't normally see them that big do you?
    Liked the Wood Craft Turning Stall but not in market for anything ornamental or occasional but that sort of craft has a niche-market & I hope they come out to purchase. It looked good quality to a Joe Soap like me.
    Clothes wise, it seemed to be aimed at women mainly although was one mens' clothes section on r.h.s. I don't follow fashion so can't comment on styles. I do most of my shopping in Penneys, Heatons & Dunnes & it'll stay that way.
    There was a Manicure Stall that offered 20% for Appointments made for a Thursday which in turn will bring increased footfall & if even a percentage purchase from another of the stalls & it's a loss-leader, then it's worth it in long-run.
    There was a sign-making machine for t-shirt slogans there aswell which is an as & when u need it purchase. Market for that might be local Gaa & Football Clubs etc. for names or numbers on back etc. Replica Jerseys would be another market to aim for. Is there any other business that does this sort of thing in Carlow Town or County? I'm thinking that place on Burrin Bridge beside Ink Print Cartridge is closed-down or that's impression I got today.
    I'd give market 6-7 out of 10 on First Glance & wish them all Best of Luck in all seriousness that they survive & prosper. It's a good idea getting small retailers who might struggle to get a pitch together individualy coming together to make a go of it. There's strength in unity after all.

Having read all the posts,is someone offering me a job?!thanks but no,already have one,part-time.i went to the market yesterday,the garden shop looks good,i'm not into plants though.walking up tullow street afterwards i was surprised at the number of shops/shop units to let,sign of the times?what is the rent like at the market for a stall,or anyone know who would i ask?i didn't see any signs up.

I think I'm going to have to pay another visit to this market, obviously I went there on a bad day?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 p_arand

nice to see a place in carlow where you can get some gothic and rock gear agin, i wont have to beg my parents to drive me into dublin to buy clothes anymore .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Carlowgal, i'm led to believe that the woman who runs the coffee trailer is currently looking after the managers job, with regards to the daily runnings of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

oh just noticed that the manager thing was already mentioned. :) on the makeup thing, i'm not up on it but my wife tells me the mac stuff is good brand stuff and is supposedto be a good price down there

Thanks for that,i missed it first time round.is that the same girl who had the coffee trailer in the car park during the summer?i heard about it but i wasn't home for the summer so never got to see the trailer.i'll talk to her anyway, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 damissus

Is the MAC make up the real deal?

I bought one of the Hello Kitty foundations and one of the eye shadow kits. My sister in law is big into MAC stuff and when she saw what I had bought, she thought I had been to Brown Thomas - so I am sure it is. The girl who runs the stall is really friendly as well.

Amanda

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I bought one of the Hello Kitty foundations and one of the eye shadow kits. My sister in law is big into MAC stuff and when she saw what I had bought, she thought I had been to Brown Thomas - so I am sure it is. The girl who runs the stall is really friendly as well.

Amanda

That's pretty good, may drop in so!
    May find a few extra decent christmas presents!

Advertisement