Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate of pay change.

Options
  • 05-11-2009 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Some advice needed please. All employees in my firm had hours reduced and hourly rate of pay reduced because of recession early this year by agreement. Recently my current role was advertised with a different title, I applied, had interview,didnt get it, new person starting soon. I've now been told only hours avail are nights and weekends(always worked weekends as part of rota)and reduced responsibility(cause new person be doing work in daytime hours)my employer wants to reduce rate of pay from e12 hour to e10 hour.Is this legal? Advice and help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭JDxtra

You applied for your own job and did not get it? Why is your job being advertised if you are still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mower

My role was receptionist(duties include answering phone, meet and greet personal callers, typing up menus etc, doing rotas etc etc)New job was advertised as receptionist/secretary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

mower wrote: »
    Some advice needed please. All employees in my firm had hours reduced and hourly rate of pay reduced because of recession early this year by agreement. Recently my current role was advertised with a different title, I applied, had interview,didnt get it, new person starting soon. I've now been told only hours avail are nights and weekends(always worked weekends as part of rota)and reduced responsibility(cause new person be doing work in daytime hours)my employer wants to reduce rate of pay from e12 hour to e10 hour.Is this legal? Advice and help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
    Is this correct:
    You're doing your job with reduced hours and pay. While you're doing your job they advertise it under another title and you have to apply and interview it and then you don't get it.

Were you made redundant before the role was changed and advertised as vacant?

AFAIK and I'm not in HR but you can only do this if you make the person redundant because their job no longer exists. Then the role can be redefined and you are invited to apply for it but by no means guaranteed to get it. If management want you out then this is the best and easiest way to go about it. But in any similar examples that I know of the person has been made redundant before the job is redefined and advertised.

How long are you in the role? Less than one year you have little or no rights, less than two years you don't qualify for redundancy. After that you have to be made redundant with payment of statutory redundancy etc.

Get advice on this from Citizens Advice Bureau because it doesn't seem above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mower

thanks for the advice,meeting management this week.

Advertisement