Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any recs for a good city centre gym?

Options
  • 05-11-2009 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭

Im finding it harder to get my ass out for a run now that it's dark so much earlier. I'd like to get a routine going too, which is proving difficult when the weather's so changeable so I'm looking for recommendations for a decent gym that's located in the city centre please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I'm a member in the Strand (ex Hilton) its a great gym- never overly busy, clean and the staff are nice, only problem is its expensive, over 700 per year for an adult. Direct debit is available though, and there are many classes etc on- yoga, pilates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I'm a member in the Strand (ex Hilton) its a great gym- never overly busy, clean and the staff are nice, only problem is its expensive, over 700 per year for an adult. Direct debit is available though, and there are many classes etc on- yoga, pilates etc.

The Strand gym is a major rip off unless you just want treadmills. The weights machines in there are next to useless, they use rubber bands instead of weighted plates and there is no regular resistance. Basically el cheapo gym equipment. They are basically relying on their pool to bring people in. I used to live in the apartments and went to that gym for a short time. The showers were always filthy as well. I would personally stay away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Yeah where do they get off charging 700 a year for a small gym and pool in the middle of a recession. There's nothing special about it. Clarion has a small gym and a very small pool, which costs 420 for the year. Dave Sheehan has a gym on Windmill Street, where MK used to be. Don't know much about that one. Limerick city centre is very poorly serviced for gyms since Crunch closed. I joined St Endas Swimming pool for the year for 120 last Saturday. Bargain. Pool is usually not busy and decent length and staff are nice up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

Saw an ad in the post last week for Club Vitae in the Maldron Hotel advertising full year membership for 365. They also had offers for teachers and civil servants as far as i can remember. Its a nice gym never too crowded, lovely pool sauna and jaussai. Staff were friendly every time i was in there aswell. They run classes too i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

timbertime wrote: »
    Saw an ad in the post last week for Club Vitae in the Maldron Hotel advertising full year membership for 365. They also had offers for teachers and civil servants as far as i can remember. Its a nice gym never too crowded, lovely pool sauna and jaussai. Staff were friendly every time i was in there aswell. They run classes too i think.

they do i was a member there for a while and its a pretty decent gym for the middle of the range keep fit person...there equipment is kept in good nick too...

i use ul now for about 5 years i think its the best gym in limerick by far but im kinda biased :D are you looking for just fitness equipment or will you be doing some weight lifting?

UL has an indoor running track as well if you want to keep up the running you mentioned in your origional post...as well as a wide range of classes

jjb is fairly well fitted out too but its very shiny for my liking :P

there is another gym at the top of william street by the horse and hound " Dominator" i think it is...ive heard a few good thinkgs about that aswell might be worth a look for city center

also its a recession haggle on whatever gym you go to and you should be able to get some reduction on there asking gym

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Thanks guys. I've used the UL gym several times and I find it grand but for the sake of convenience, somewhere in town is preferable. I also found that I get fairly scathing looks whenever I approach the testerone fuelled weights section in UL, bit of a 'girls out' vibe going on there.

Saying that, it's mainly cardio that I'm looking to focus on but I'd like to incorporate some free weights and some work on a squat rack too if possible.

I also found that I get fairly scathing looks whenever I approach the testerone fuelled weights section in UL, bit of a 'girls out' vibe going on there.

Yes there are a couple of people out there who have that attitude...not all of us though!! id love to see more women get involved in competitive weight/powerlifting..

not every gym is going to have a squat rack im afraid....jjb might be the best bed outside of ul...maldron dosent have one...im sure dave sheehan gym on the dock road would...

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

Yes there are a couple of people out there who have that attitude...not all of us though!! id love to see more women get involved in competitive weight/powerlifting..

not every gym is going to have a squat rack im afraid....jjb might be the best bed outside of ul...maldron dosent have one...im sure dave sheehan gym on the dock road would...

No squat rack in the maldron but they have a Smith machine so its not all the bad. Also they give free exercise programmes i think! Well they used to anyway!

timbertime wrote: »
    No squat rack in the maldron but they have a Smith machine so its not all the bad. Also they give free exercise programmes i think! Well they used to anyway!

you CANNOT! squat in a smith machine!!!! but thats a whole different thread....Fitness forum--> that way :D

Advertisement