Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More infractions, less bannings.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Sometimes I hand out 24hr bans to give people time to calm down. It usually works.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's annoying infractions appear on your profile. I've one from July 08, April 09 and September 09.

Maybe after 6 months they disappear?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

K-9 wrote: »
    It's annoying infractions appear on your profile. I've one from July 08, April 09 and September 09.

They appear for you and mods. You average user can't see them. To see for yourself log out and view your profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

They appear for you and mods. You average user can't see them. To see for yourself log out and view your profile.

I know that. It's still annoying!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

yea, infractions and warns only are seen by the user and mods.

I have a few, most of them are there to remind me of when Karoma was a mod, and i was baited by trolls

Bring back Karoma. Not enough Black moderators on boards. Affirmative action required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

KevIRL wrote: »
    There's no need to be givng people raps on the knuckles for 'being naughty'.

No more need then there is for being naughty in the first place, at any rate.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

But we're talking about reducing the amount of bans and using infractions more. So the good people will get warnings for stuff they would normally have been banned for.

I don't think thats true at all, the good people get infractions for stuff that would never have been worth any action before. Infractions haven't replaced bans, they've replaced pms and a sense of community policing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

copacetic wrote: »
    I don't think thats true at all, the good people get infractions for stuff that would never have been worth any action before. Infractions haven't replaced bans, they've replaced pms and a sense of community policing.

But this is the reason snyper started this thread. To encourage the idea of using infractions instead of bannings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

I would like to see more spurious and arbitary bannings if the reasons were funny. These should be temporary. why should boards.ie be just?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

MrMicra wrote: »
    I would like to see more spurious and arbitary bannings if the reasons were funny. These should be temporary. why should boards.ie be just?

Grand so, see you in a week when your ban is up.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

MrMicra wrote: »

Didn't Terry ban a poster(several posters?) in AH for saying Macbeth?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Zaph wrote: »
    Grand so, see you in a week when your ban is up.

Can you ban anyone from any forum? For instance, could you, for example, ban me for a week from the "Weather pictures" subforum?

Purely just to test the system, you understand.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Can you ban anyone from any forum? For instance, could you, for example, ban me for a week from the "Weather pictures" subforum?

Purely just to test the system, you understand.

We have a weather pictures forum?

To answer your question, yes, I can ban anyone from any forum. As to whether or not I'll do so, the answer is no, unless a person deserves it, and even then it would be left up to the forum mods before it should ever get to me.

We have a weather pictures forum?

And a proud forum it is, don't you forget it.
    To answer your question, yes, I can ban anyone from any forum. As to whether or not I'll do so, the answer is no, unless a person deserves it, and even then it would be left up to the forum mods before it should ever get to me.

What if I say:

"Zaphod is just dis guy, you know?"

EDIT: Just a little ban, it's wafer thin?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

EDIT: Just a little ban, it's wafer thin?

Waffer thin, waffer, say it with a French accent ffs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

My only nuance is when a post of mine is deleted and I'm not told about it all, only to go back to that thread trying to find my response but lo and behold it's gone.

Did I use nuance correctly?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

nuance: * a subtle difference in meaning or opinion or attitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

My only nuance is when a post of mine is deleted and I'm not told about it all, only to go back to that thread trying to find my response but lo and behold it's gone.

Grievance is probably the word you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

KevIRL wrote: »
    Less infractions, more common sense from all concerned imo. There's no need to be givng people raps on the knuckles for 'being naughty'.

All imo of course.

Soccer forum, are you listening?

One of mine actually says 'being naughty' :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sherifu wrote: »

One of mine actually says 'being naughty' :pac:

Standard or pwopa naughty?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

stovelid wrote: »
    Grievance is probably the word you want.
    Nuisance actually :o

stovelid wrote: »
    Standard or pwopa naughty?
    It was over a year ago so I can't remember the exact details. Suffice to say it was given over something pedantic. At least that one didn't come with a weeks ban like my latest one. Why bother modding properly when you can slap a ban on everything and say job done. GG soccer mods.

Soccer is a bit different from other forums as they have to deal with constant muppetry. 'Being Naughty' is a catch all infraction option, it wouldn't have been typed in by the mod.

Soccer is a bit different from other forums as they have to deal with constant muppetry.
    They don't have to ban everything either. They can always step down if giving infractions is too hard for them. I've no sympathy for them at all with this approach they're taking.
    'Being Naughty' is a catch all infraction option, it wouldn't have been typed in by the mod.
    I am fully aware of that. KevIRL just reminded me of it and of being treated like an 8 year old. I hope they renamed it since then.

They don't have to ban everything either. They can always step down if giving infractions is too hard for them. I've no sympathy for them at all with this approach they're taking.

I'm sure they don't want it either, I was just pointing out that they have hundreds of issues to deal with and don't have time to be holding peoples hands and begging them to grow up.

[Of course this pretty much disagrees with what i said earlier in the thread, hmmm]
    I am fully aware of that. KevIRL just reminded me of it and of being treated like an 8 year old. I hope they renamed it since then.

No, it's still there. It used to be 'being a muppet' but people got upset about it, then it was 'being a spanner' but someone got really upset about that too, now it's being naughty.

There was discussion of changing it, as a lot of mods don't like to use it, but nothing came of it. Besides, no matter what you change it to someone will have an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Originally that infraction was called being a muppet and there were complaints.
    Then it was changed to being a spanner ( as in a spanner in the works) and someone else whinged and then Vexorg changed it to being naughty.

I used it as muppet and spanner I have never used it as being naughty if someone has done something to warrent an infraction it is not naughty behaviour but being disruptive on the forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Originally that infraction was called being a muppet and there were complaints.
    Then it was changed to being a spanner ( as in a spanner in the works) and someone else whinged and then Vexorg changed it to being naughty.

I used it as muppet and spanner I have never used it as being naughty if someone has done something to warrent an infraction it is not naughty behaviour but being disruptive on the forum.
    I thought 'naughty ' behaviour was welcomed in most of your forums Thaed..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

snyper wrote: »
    Recently, i received a ban in AH by Terry.

Now, on receiving the ban i was a little perplexed as to the reason for the ban, but didnt bother challenging it because i generally give the boards moderators the benefit of the doubt. As it turns out the ban was reversed after an hour or so because my post was mis read to mean something else, no big deal

However, my question is, are temp bans more common than infractions? Personally an infraction to me would hold as much weight as a ban, and as someone who doesnt troll threads (well i hope not) a ban is well perhaps unnecessary or maybe a little harsh.

Is it something that cant be answered generally as it differs from forum to forum?
    Fixed your post.
    Dude, you can say that it was me who banned you. I don't hold grudges against people who start feedback threads about me banning them.
    sometimes they are right and I'm wrong.

I made a mistake.
    Actually, someone reported the post, but they had misread it too.
    I jumped the gun, and for that I apologise.

There is no standard for bans or infractions being given.

With me it's a judgement call.
    I'll have a look at a users previous bans, infractions, warnings and the possibility of them being a re-reg.
    I'll then take their contribution to AH and the seriousness of the offense into account.

In saying that, sometimes it's obvious that someone is trolling and I'll just permanently ban them for it.
    Id love to know how mods decide the length of bans,
    See above.
    my current AH ban is 2 weeks because I replied to a poster in a thread saying 'I agree and will leave it at that'. got banned because just before I posted I was given a warning not to post in that thread. I could have seen it or I could have missed it, either way why a 2 week ban?
    PM the mod who banned you.
    I have little faith in protesting against bans anymore as certain mods tend to dislike certain users and become heavyhanded towards them, I dont think that will change, but if there was a clear statement on how many days,weeks a ban should be for each type of offence it might be good
    questioning a mod= 2days
    personal abuse=7 days
    racism=14-28days
    Again, see above.
    We don't have a standard because every person is different.
    If you think a mod has a grudge against you, then try to sort it with them via PM.
    If that doesn't work, then take it up in the help desk and use links to prove your point.

ignoring thread warning but not breaking any standard rules, simply a technicality eg
    mod a "no nice treaty discussion"
    user 123 "Nice treaty is sh1te"
    mod a "banned! (for 2 weeks)
    Arguing on thread with a mod is against the AH charter.
    I think you'll find it's against most forum charters on this site.
    Take it to PM if you disagree with a mod's actions.

are bannings to piss users off or make it a better place for you and for me and the entire universe?shamon!(come on!)
    We try to avoid banning people as much as possible.
    Sometimes users just push it too far though.
    There are some regular AH users who are on their last chance. If they keep pissing other AH users off, then they will be banned permanently.

On the other hand, sometimes people just get too emotionally involved on a subject and end up freaking out on a thread.
    The one constant in AH is that personal abuse will get you banned every single time.

Didn't Terry ban a poster(several posters?) in AH for saying Macbeth?
    Once. The dude found it funny.
    Search this forum for the thread. He gave me permission to post the PM exchange.
    His ban was for all of two minutes. It would have been shorter if my computer had been better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Nope, naughty parents in the parenting forum is enough to make even me despair.

Advertisement