Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More infractions, less bannings.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

copacetic wrote: »
    I'm sure they don't want it either, I was just pointing out that they have hundreds of issues to deal with and don't have time to be holding peoples hands and begging them to grow up.

[Of course this pretty much disagrees with what i said earlier in the thread, hmmm]
    Still not seeing a good enough reason for banning for all minor infractions. No time is best solved by adding more mods. I however think it's more a case of respect my charter or I will crush you.(You Will Respect My Authoritah!) Muppetry to use your word.
    No, it's still there. It used to be 'being a muppet' but people got upset about it, then it was 'being a spanner' but someone got really upset about that too, now it's being naughty.

There was discussion of changing it, as a lot of mods don't like to use it, but nothing came of it. Besides, no matter what you change it to someone will have an issue.
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    Originally that infraction was called being a muppet and there were complaints.
    Then it was changed to being a spanner ( as in a spanner in the works) and someone else whinged and then Vexorg changed it to being naughty.

I used it as muppet and spanner I have never used it as being naughty if someone has done something to warrent an infraction it is not naughty behaviour but being disruptive on the forum.
    Ah, so that's what happened to being a muppet/spanner. I remember the feedback threads complaining about it. If Vexorg picked it then fair enough. He's allowed one dodgy choice. :P
    Steve wrote: »
    I thought 'naughty ' behaviour was welcomed in most of your forums Thaed..;)
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Since I returned to Boards I saw nothing but big nasty rules about wrongly infracting people leading to punishment
    ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you get out of line, I will say it publicly. If you get out of line again, I'm going to PM you.

This is the thing I don't get. Infractions do just that. They say publicly that you crossed a line and they send a pm. Why all the hostility towards the system?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Can't remember it specifically - May have been an open discussion or something to do with the potential 'backseat modding' where people could infract posters not of their forum - Either way there was something I vaguely remember seeing but didn't pay too much attention to due to above mentioned lack of use of Infractions.

Was quite a while ago, now - I have a habit of forgetting things.

it's hardly a big nasty rule that mods shouldn't infract in forums they aren't a mod in:confused:

It's happened a fair few times too, but I don't remember anyone being 'punished' for it. The infractions are generally just reversed and they are asked to stop doing it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I would agree with RopeDrink in a lot of ways. I do feel sometimes this ban hammer infraction "system" stuff gets a bit OTT, when an on thread warning followed by a PM would suffice. I would say IMHO anyway I do get the feeling that some while not reveling in the "system" do get a little kickback ego wise or whatever from it. The notion that there's a ban/infraction keeping score thing going on with some. I emphasise with some and I think that's partly human nature and partly a little bit of the system itself. And it's not just mods, I've noted some users like the notion of someone being strict for want of a better word.

That said you do see people who just like to get a rise from people and no PM will cool their heels, in which case I tend to go straight to ban after the first warning. I see them as the equivalent of spammers. Add nothing. Then again some do become great contributors down the line or good contributors in other parts of the site(I can think of a few like that actually). Nothing is or should be written in stone IMHO and we all have bad days or fcukup. I think while a warning record is very handy for mods, I do think it's a bit too "blot in my copybook" kinda thing at times.

I would generally only infract in PI/RI and usually as part of a ban. They are high traffic forums with a lot of potential for people being silly and even slight trolling isn't and shouldn't be tolerated. Rightfully too. Otherwise often a friendly "chillax we're all mates here" kinda PM(or on thread warning) does work better in a lot of cases. It does take extra time though and in a high traffic forum is often too hard TBH.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I prefer to say it myself - That way there's more interaction to it than just slapping someone with the Infrac//Pressing the button or however it works.

PM wise the problem can be discussed and, if all else fails and someone simply doesn't get the message despite explanation and warnings, and continues along the rocky road, it gets taken further.

Infractions work like this though. The pm message comes from you and if the user wants to discuss it then can just hit the reply button. Worst case scenario they convince you that the infraction is unwarranted and you have to ask an admin to reverse it.

Where infractions are superior to onthread/pm warnings is that there is a record kept. Right now if I was to give you, copacetic or snyper an in thread warning, I'd probably remember it simply because I recognise your names and your profile makes you stand out more. If you were some low post user with no sig, avatar, whatever that makes you stand out, I'd have forgotten what your name was 5 minutes after I gave the warning. Also if one of my co-mods were to give someone a warning, I wouldn't have a clue. So this leads to a situation where some people get away with lots of trolling and abuse whereas others get a ban after doing relatively little trolling/abuse.

Now I'm not trying to change your mind here and make you realise that the infraction system is super awesome or anything. There is obviously something wrong with it. I don't use it as much as I'd like to (if someone crosses the line I ban them, I'd prefer to infract and if they keep acting up then ban them) because of the general reaction I get from them. I'm just trying to find out what makes the infraction system so much worse than an inthread/pm warning when really it isn't. This way we can change the negative parts and keep the positive parts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I agree with AlmightyCushion, that is it's most useful feature. There is a record and as I say a useful one for the reasons he said.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I'm just trying to find out what makes the infraction system so much worse than an inthread/pm warning when really it isn't. This way we can change the negative parts and keep the positive parts.

This is the key of course, I don't know what it is about them, but people take them much more personally than an on thread warning. I did myself. Even more so when they are handed out for next to nothing.

So my reading of the thread is that they are a useful tool for mods making it easier to keep track of warnings etc. Mods seem them as equivalent to on thread warnings and pms.

Users see them as over the top and much more serious that on thread warnings and pms and often react badly, escalating minor problems.

Is that fair?

So in my opinion we have something that is useful for the mods but not good for the community. i.e not everything thats useful for mods is good for the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Excellently summed up copacetic, that's it exactly.

Didn't we have some mods resigning after getting infractions?(after their diplomatic immunity expired :pac:)

Incidentally if any mod wants to pm me instead of giving me an infraction i'm fine with that.(I'm due another one in a year and a few months so until then...)
    So in my opinion we have something that is useful for the mods but not good for the community. i.e not everything thats useful for mods is good for the community.
    In some of the busier forums we have a compromise between these two. There may be a post or three that deserve minor infractions in the heat of battle that are instead met with an on-thread warning. It's sensible and works well from what i've observed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Pm and on thread warnings work on smaller forums but on forums as busy as after hours they are just impossible to keep track of.

@drb - I reckon that would make a big difference. If they were called warnings and didn't show up on your profile (even though infractions only show up for the user themselves and mods). The user gets a pm similar to the ban pm. I think it should still leave a mark on the post (I wish bans would do the same), just to point out to other users that this wasn't acceptable and a mod has intervened.

Am I right in that only infractions stay on your profile forever and bans handed out don't appear on your profile after the ban is over. (Someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong).

Maybe that is why some might object to receiving infractions over a ban as the infraction history is there all the time, but any bans handed out are not visible after the ban is up.

They appear for you and mods. You average user can't see them. To see for yourself log out and view your profile.

You can see infractions given through your own Control Panel without logging out - "Latest infractions given".

• Advertisement

Saibh wrote: »
    Am I right in that only infractions stay on your profile forever and bans handed out don't appear on your profile after the ban is over. (Someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong).

Maybe that is why some might object to receiving infractions over a ban as the infraction history is there all the time, but any bans handed out are not visible after the ban is up.

Bans stay on your profile (well technically they aren't on your profile) but only mods can see them. This goes for bans that are currently in place and bans that have expired.
    Saibh wrote: »
    You can see infractions given through your own Control Panel without logging out - "Latest infractions given".

Yes you can. What I was trying to point out though is that the average user can't see the infractions you have received. If you go to your profile, you will be able to see all the infractions you have recieved. If a non mod user goes to your profile they won't be able to see any infractions at all.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sherifu wrote: »
    Still not seeing a good enough reason for banning for all minor infractions.

Ah, finally, someone who understands this word!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I prefer to say it myself - That way there's more interaction to it than just slapping someone with the Infrac//Pressing the button or however it works.
    Just FYI, the infraction system allows for all that - the entire message that goes along with the infraction record can be customised. It's a system that adds to the PM rather than taking away from it.
    (I'm assuming you've never clicked the button based on what you've said, if you have then you already know so ignore the above)

sceptre wrote: »
    Just FYI, the infraction system allows for all that - the entire message that goes along with the infraction record can be customised. It's a system that adds to the PM rather than taking away from it.
    (I'm assuming you've never clicked the button based on what you've said, if you have then you already know so ignore the above)

You can edit the pm entirely, but the user still has 'Being Naughty' on their profile forever if thats the option you selected when giving the infraction. I have one myself, pretty sure I'd be an admin by now if not for that..:(

Advertisement