Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting started.

Options
  • 05-11-2009 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hello!

My first post on boards however I shall skip the introduction!
    I am here via the IO.org site, my interest in networks has developed rapidly (Mainly fluctuated by my irritating low quality wireless connection).

Currently my main focus is directed at optical networks! I want to know what I need to do if I wanted to start laying fibre in a week or two & supply myself and others a concrete connection.

Obviously I would have to create & register as a company (Dont know how to do that first off)

I think registration needs to take place with RIPE if intention to supply customers/ip (Become a ISP) . Is this correct?

I am basically looking for starting points, do's & dont's, who is required, who would be of us.

Basically anything at all would be greatly appreciated! Hope to hear something soon!
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Hire a digger?

Despite being told YEARS ago by their own committee to do it, the Government has not yet mandated any carrier neutral ducting.

Nor can you use the poles as in USA, as the ESB and Eircom have exclusivity on their own poles. The ESB oddly has more fibre on their poles & pylons than Eircom have.

eircom do have fibre in Ducts.

But they can't easily replace cable with fibre in some ducts as they used the wrong kind of pipe.

You need to run your fibre to a MAN that has backhaul (some don't), or to an ESB fibre point or to Digiweb Microwave link, or to a BT-ESAT/CIE fibre backhaul. There are a few others as well. It's not much use running your fibre to an Exchange, eircom are too expensive for backhaul. You need to get your fibre somehow to an existing ISP that does wholesale at an economic price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

What scale of digging , all of Donegal ??

Forgot to mention, we discussed this a few weeks ago here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055707790

Do add in any thought you may have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Erbium wrote: »
    Hello!

My first post on boards however I shall skip the introduction!
    I am here via the IO.org site, my interest in networks has developed rapidly (Mainly fluctuated by my irritating low quality wireless connection).

Currently my main focus is directed at optical networks! I want to know what I need to do if I wanted to start laying fibre in a week or two & supply myself and others a concrete connection.

Obviously I would have to create & register as a company (Dont know how to do that first off)

I think registration needs to take place with RIPE if intention to supply customers/ip (Become a ISP) . Is this correct?

I am basically looking for starting points, do's & dont's, who is required, who would be of us.

Basically anything at all would be greatly appreciated! Hope to hear something soon!
    Cheers!

I have some experience with a similar situation to your own, PM me and we can swap notes, ideas etc. My own interest began back in 2004 with a frustratingly slow dialup connection, I replaced that with one-way satellite in 2005 and last year migrated to a system which delivers speeds as per my sig. I had no help along the way bar a few boards users and had to start from scratch and educate myself in all things network related! What you plan to do sounds interesting and I am sure there are similarities between both our projects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Erbium

Small scale to begin with of course, I'm talking starting off with a cable that reaches from my house to a town 4.8 KM in from me.

Where would be a good supplier of cable?

• Advertisement

right of way <cough>

Cough will look into it *Cough Thanks ... End Cough

Um anyone know of any cable producers/prices, trying to work out an average cost!
    Grants? Anything available there?

No formal grant scheme for 4 years , Dempsey canned them .

What have you learnt from the other thread ??

Well thats good news.

10G-EPON is the way to go.
    ~€10k/€5k p/Km

What about train lines? Surely some savings could be made there.

And so far thats about it.

The cost shown above I'm sketchy about. I would like to know what equipment is essential. A list of providers of this equipment not to mention a cable providers. I'm having particular trouble finding them.

I recently obtained a copy of the routes/planning of the WAN in my town. I'm currently looking into a company that I hope to get some work experience to get a feel for how it is!

That MAN may not be lit yet , only about 30 of them are which were teh first tranche and Longford and one or two more , where is the colo on it ( the equpment shed) ??

There is a telecoms infrastructure summary in this thread here which is a work in progress and not complete and a jargon guide .

Plenty of links .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

Nice to hear that I'm not the only one looking into this... I'd be most interested to hear how you get on.

I'd like to pm you my email address... if that's alright with you?

TNS-Distribution(Network components) - Networking Partners of TNS Distribution

That site is pretty good, however seems to be missing the key factor, the PRICE!

@Bob,
    I don't think it is lit, however I'm not sure how long its been sitting there. I also know where the POP is so I'll be making my way in there soon to ask some questions (Just want to make sure they are the right ones ^^)
    & Thanks for the links page, will check it out asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

netwhizkid wrote: »
    I have some experience with a similar situation to your own, PM me and we can swap notes, ideas etc. My own interest began back in 2004 with a frustratingly slow dialup connection, I replaced that with one-way satellite in 2005 and last year migrated to a system which delivers speeds as per my sig. I had no help along the way bar a few boards users and had to start from scratch and educate myself in all things network related! What you plan to do sounds interesting and I am sure there are similarities between both our projects.
    How u get 34mb broadband man with 1mb up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

rob808 wrote: »
    How u get 34mb broadband man with 1mb up

Using one of these routers and bonding two connections into one!

10GEPON is a future proof technology , no point in doing anything else now .

Netwhiz and TrekkyPJ you guys will be needed for some lobbying presently so do PM me in a month and I will issue you a 'pack' of lobby fodder data and you will need to hassle some people about it on the policy side.

Local people not half a country away !!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

Looking forward to getting those materials! :D

Alrite so I'm getting to understand a few other simple concepts, however their is still plenty that I'm not so sure about - I'll get into it soon enough.

Thanks to those who pointed me towards relevant information. I found the Global Maps to be of particular interest. But bringing it back to a smaller scale for the time being.

I have been thinking of the possibilities of ways & whys of introducing a new Cable/Network/Infrastructure Into/Around My house/Area/Community.

A few things that are bugging me,
    If I were to run a optical cable, say 10G-EPON out trough a pile of fields and other crap to reach an already existing vodafone GSM/3G mobile mast, is it likely that vodafone would be interesting in contracting?

Since I am only starting out, getting permission to go nuts and lay down a pile of fibre is gonna prove to be difficult (Unless I were to do it with out any permission - Which is possible, but sadly is against the book.). So would it be of better value to just start off paying and installing ducts & then taking your time installing/paying for fibre.

Where are the main live backhauls throughout Ireland I wasn't able to find any mapping.

There is no mapping is the answer . Fibre does not need to be ducted either , shallow buried yes but not ducted .

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Erbium wrote: »
    If I were to run a optical cable, say 10G-EPON out trough a pile of fields and other crap to reach an already existing vodafone GSM/3G mobile mast, is it likely that vodafone would be interesting in contracting?
    Almost certainly not.
    Where are the main live backhauls throughout Ireland I wasn't able to find any mapping.
    BT have fibre along many railway lines, but don't have PoPs at all stations. ESB have their NTFON.

Vodafone and the rest of them will need PON connections to masts if they wwant to roll out LTE post 2012 . However they will not be interested in contrcting willy nilly as OB said .

Were there a number of community fibre projects to a single high common standard such as 10GEPON with a single national point of contact for Capacity Sales and SLA that would be different :)

But that would be putting the horse up the carts arse as things are right now . Assume they will be interested ....sooner rather than later .

• Advertisement
Advertisement