Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost per square meter

Options
  • 05-11-2009 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

What is the average cost of a house in Ireland per sqm? I mean if you take into account of the cost of buying the land and building a house what would be the average cost per sqm of a new house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its a "how long is a piece of string?" question.

Are you actually planning to build?

Land can cost anything from €1/m2 to €7,000/m2.

You might build a basic house for under €1,000/m2, but €2,000/m2 is a more realistic figure. You could if you wanted spend €20,000/m2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

Victor wrote: »
    Its a "how long is a piece of string?" question.

Are you actually planning to build?

Land can cost anything from €1/m2 to €7,000/m2.

You might build a basic house for under €1,000/m2, but €2,000/m2 is a more realistic figure. You could if you wanted spend €20,000/m2
    This is why i asked for an average figure of a standard home.

My parents build a house of better standard that I have seen in Dublin for about €1500 per sqm and this also includes the cost of the land they bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

SLUSK wrote: »
    €1500 per sqm and this also includes the cost of the land they bought.
    Utterly meaningless, indeed moronic figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

Why is this a meaningless figure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

SLUSK wrote: »
    What is the average cost of a house in Ireland per sqm? I mean if you take into account of the cost of buying the land and building a house what would be the average cost per sqm of a new house?

i could give you some rough figures i know of a case this year

1 acre in athenry area 60K, house build up to roof with velux windows about 70K

about 70-80K to finish to average standard, that wouldn't include work that would need to be done on garden or furniture

4bed 200sq m + another 80sq m large attic

so thats about 750 a sq m

but of course prices for land vary wildly per location, and in alot of cases there are strings attached to permission

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

seems some places in roscommon are selling below building cost altogether

roll-on da recession

http://www.daft.ie/1338729

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

The PTSB/ESRI sales index is at about 230k at the moment (about 25% down from peak).......if prices were to fall 40% from peak this index would be back to 180-190 ish. Assuming that a average house in the index is 100 sq m (reasonable as the 3 bed semi index used to reasonably track the overal index). You'd expect the average cost fall back to track this to some extent. Less a margin of say 20% and you are at ball park 1500 per sqM.

Rule of thumb stuff only however.....plenty of variables, not least the fall from peak.

Advertisement