Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David McWilliams idea:

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Moved to Expand your Horizons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

i'm so tired that i thought your username was irishurethra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

This should really be in Irish Economy forum imo

segaBOY wrote: »
    This should really be in Irish Economy forum imo

I agree, so I've moved it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I don't think he has lost the plot but then I don't believe he was really advocating doing it either.
    I think its just designed to get people thinking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

His ideas aren't unique or new. Ireland's population is, on average, getting older. In the next ten years there will be huge opportunities for nursing homes. They're (generally) very profitable and very useful for the community, as well as an increasing source of tax revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

After watching McWilliams latest documentary (I only saw one episode) and seeing him give more weight to peak oil than almost any other mainstream tv show I've ever seen I now think he's far more clued in than I thought before.

Far from losing the plot I think he's finding it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

After watching McWilliams latest documentary (I only saw one episode) and seeing him give more weight to peak oil than almost any other mainstream tv show I've ever seen I now think he's far more clued in than I thought before.

Far from losing the plot I think he's finding it.

the guy is a joke tbh

he throws around alot of "proposals" and "predictions" when one comes thru he says "i told you so"

his proposal to leave the euro for example is extremely daft and shortsighted

in his documentaries he quite literary steals ideas from other world famous economists and rehashes them with an Irish angle

for example his last documentary is a copy of what Niall Ferguson set out over a year and half ago in the Ascent of Money documentary

the guy is a "charlatan"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

To be fair he is a commentator and really has nothing riding on his predictions. He fires out a lot of ideas, some are good, some are half baked but what I like about him is he is prepared to think outside the box.

Contrast that with our politicians who don't even think, have no idea where the box is and are only good at sorting out potholes or the changing room for the local GAA club.

gandalf wrote: »
    To be fair he is a commentator and really has nothing riding on his predictions. He fires out a lot of ideas, some are good, some are half baked but what I like about him is he is prepared to think outside the box.

Contrast that with our politicians who don't even think, have no idea where the box is and are only good at sorting out potholes or the changing room for the local GAA club.

once again, im not an economist but do read on subject as its interesting

his ideas are rehashed/irishized versions of what more famous economists publish

some of his stuff is even contradictory

once thing hes good at is making a name for himself and yearning money of that

there are other much smarter economists in Ireland who i respect and write original pieces such as Morgan Kelly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    the guy is a joke tbh

he throws around alot of "proposals" and "predictions" when one comes thru he says "i told you so"

his proposal to leave the euro for example is extremely daft and shortsighted

in his documentaries he quite literary steals ideas from other world famous economists and rehashes them with an Irish angle

for example his last documentary is a copy of what Niall Ferguson set out over a year and half ago in the Ascent of Money documentary

the guy is a "charlatan"

So you think all other economists ideas are completely unique and not influenced/referenced from others?! Unless these ideas are 'patented' or the like, then dont see the problem with presenting it from an Irish angle, I mean isnt that the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

The thing with McWilliams is that he's trying to appeal to a large audience which doesn't understand economics, he's aiming at the Joe Soap who doesn't read Friedman etc... that's why his ideas are not unique, they're ideas given to people who haven't heard them before. It's not what he's saying, it's the fact that he's saying it to a wide audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

He is a cock and has spent the last week apologising for being a cock. If you make a million predictions, some will come true - that does not make you stop being a cock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

Leave him alone, my granny thinks hes lovely

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    So you think all other economists ideas are completely unique and not influenced/referenced from others?! Unless these ideas are 'patented' or the like, then dont see the problem with presenting it from an Irish angle, I mean isnt that the point?

its called plagiarism and he doesn't reference at all
    in academic circles if you do that you would be in trouble
    once again hes more of a publicity whore than an economist

El Siglo wrote: »
    The thing with McWilliams is that he's trying to appeal to a large audience which doesn't understand economics, he's aiming at the Joe Soap who doesn't read Friedman etc... that's why his ideas are not unique, they're ideas given to people who haven't heard them before. It's not what he's saying, it's the fact that he's saying it to a wide audience.

thats called populism (once again whoring himself up), and in his case he even contradicts himself

take his latest documentary:
    he goes on about how the bubble got us here, then turns around and says that the upcoming commodities/green tech bubble is "good" since itll help the environment (they were saying dot come bubble is good a decade ago since it'll help business)

a bubble is a bubble it'll end in tears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    its called plagiarism and he doesn't reference at all
    in academic circles if you do that you would be in trouble
    once again hes more of a publicity whore than an economist

Well perhaps he did some research and came to the same conclusions, god forbid two economists should have similar points of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

xp90 wrote: »
    Leave him alone, my granny thinks hes lovely

That's the problem with charlatans.

A lot of grannies thought Bertie was lovely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

That's the problem with charlatans.

A lot of grannies thought Bertie was lovely.

Feck that, she thinks berties a right c*nt

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Well perhaps he did some research and came to the same conclusions, god forbid two economists should have similar points of view.

Look, to an economist what he goes on about is the most basic of the basic repackaged for the Irish public losing much of the useful detail but keeping some.

I don't think he's a plagarist, there is some merit to some one popularising an academic subject, however he doesn't approach it as to educate the public on economics and how to understand the valuable truths that lie within, he prefers sensationalism and big stories with little meat. Not my taste at all but some like him. Just please don't call him an economist, he hasn't been one for a very long time if he ever was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 micky j

none are so blind as those who do not want to see, and Mcwillams predicted this crash over 3 years ago in SB post articles and it has came to pass, and to paraphrase another independent thinker(ROY) "get over it, Move on" now is the time to take some of his ideas and put them into action unlike the shower who have their hands on the levers of power now if they had an independent or unique idea or thought in their empty heads without establishing a think tank to think for them they would be dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

micky j wrote: »
    none are so blind as those who do not want to see, and Mcwillams predicted this crash over 3 years ago in SB post articles and it has came to pass, and to paraphrase another independent thinker(ROY) "get over it, Move on" now is the time to take some of his ideas and put them into action unlike the shower who have their hands on the levers of power now if they had an independent or unique idea or thought in their empty heads without establishing a think tank to think for them they would be dangerous.

Why the f*ck should we put McWilliams's ideas into action? He'd pull us out of the Eurozone and we would be even more f*cked than we already are.

Why not send for Senator Eoin Harris, the man who has been right about everything because he manages to eliminate all his mistakes from his memory? Or Jack Charlton, because he brought us some success? Or anybody who has an irrelevant talent?

Bring Colin Farrell home. We need him here.

Advertisement