Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric shower

• 05-11-2009 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Triton T90 Electric shower, 6sq or 10sq?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 perco

I'm assuming the shower is rated at 8500watts or 8.5kW. If so then a cable run from the consumer unit to shower unit that is up to 15metres, I would use 6sq. If its anymore than 15metres use 10sq cable.

Don't forget isolation switch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Id personally pull in 10sq,so in future if you wanted to get a more powerfull shower there wouldnt be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Vinnie69

perco wrote: »
    I'm assuming the shower is rated at 8500watts or 8.5kW. If so then a cable run from the consumer unit to shower unit that is up to 15metres, I would use 6sq. If its anymore than 15metres use 10sq cable.

Don't forget isolation switch!

Thanks perco! I was about to ask the same question as I am replacing an old (27yrs) Triton Instaflow 2000 (7Kw) which had been running on 6sq. and got so confused by googling sites in uK (insulated walls, conduit and clipped!):) BTW I presume that 35amp screwed fuse will be ok ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

) BTW I presume that 35amp screwed fuse will be Ok?
    No!

It must be protected by it's own RCD

The simplest solution is to install a 32A RCBO, B type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Hi Folks Just to give a bit of general on the T90. The T90 comes in a 9.5 and an 8.5kw. There will NEVER be a more powerful shower in the future so dont worry about over specifying the cable,

How can I make such a brash statement. They reckon that as ireland slowly changes to the pressurised systems the T90 shower will be done away with. We are heading towards power showers. As you all know powershowers draw less on the current.

The only rule that applies for the moment and I keep forgetting it but that god I never need to remember is 6sq up to 15mtrs and 10sq if going to be longer. and of course the RCD.

i am in a domain where I have novice experience but have a vast general on showers.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

if it is a 9.5KW shower I would use a 40 Amp RCBO

I would also install a cooker switch over and above a pullcord, i.e. an MK 45 Amp unit rather than a 40 Amp pullcord switch. We have tried to phase out pullcords as the larger showers can burn them out, the constant pulling at the cord can place some additional mechanical strain on the cable connection.

but the isolator has to be outside the bathroom and within 2M of the shower, if you can't manage that you will need a pull cord switch.

Also watch the vibration on the wall you mount the shower on, sometimes it is easier to mount the shower on a partition wall, however they can shake a house if care is not taken fixing the shower. Some of us here once recommended putting some silicon at the back of the shower to help reduce vibrations, I have noted that the manufacturers have added a note advising against this as it can restrict air circualtion and can reduce the life of the shower. I think 2011 has used s rubber back plate in the past with soime sucess.

It can be a pain addressing this, it might mean putting the shower on a solid wall and more installation time, but you might be thankful for it later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

9.5kw at 230volt .As already 10sq tails ,quality 45amp or 50amp switch.
    RCBO should prob be 45amp as well
    And of course check supply for suitability

Advertisement