Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The not-so-civil Civil War

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Rob67

Short term thinking. . a wealth levy would raise money in the short term but cost money in the medium term as the wealthier would almost certainly move themselves and/or their money out of Ireland. This is not a short term problem . . the changes made now will need to be effective over a 5-10 yr term

I was only thinking in the short term, the imposition of a 'Wealth Levy' would be a temporary measure. An extensive overhaul of the tax system is what is required, there are too many loopholes that allow too many to get away with paying minimum taxes.

I have heard people identify a 25-40% differential but I have not heard anyone calling for a pay cut as large as that. . Personally I would think that a sliding cut between 5 and 15% depending on level / salary etc would be effective.

I should have clarified, I referred to calls of such cuts from individuals on this forum. Having said that IBEC, if I remember correctly, called for close to that level a year ago, I open to correction as I am too lazy at the moment to go looking! (Busy week)

I could probably live with that but I do think that the government need to be careful about any increases in taxes. We need to get money into the economy and increasing taxes will have the opposite effect. However, the Public Service will accept No Paycuts and No Redundancies and will drive the country to a standstill to prove their point.

You would probably find that the resistance is not as bad as you may think, a lot of Public Sector workers are very aware of the situation and are willing to make sacrifices, but it's hard to agree to them when they see so much ineptitude from politicians, govt inaction on a stimulus plan for the country, witnessing the arrival of NAMA and the rescue of banks that really should have been nationalised. Yet, they are all being out to be the bad guys? This strike action is borne more out of frustration with policy more so than pay issues, in my opinion, but pay has become the rallying call.

Advertisement