Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

infected tragus?

• 05-11-2009 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

hi guys i think my tragus is infected i got it pierced about a month ago and it is still sore but now i have what looks like a blister on the inside and out of my tragus and it still gets crusty from time to time, any ideas what this is and what i should do? thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Gknit

How have you been keeping it clean? A similar thing happened to my tragus when I first got it pierced around 8 years ago. I was just cleaning it with saline solution. It wasn't particularly infected but it had developed a bump on the front. I asked in the shop where I got it done and they recommended making my own solution freshly, twice a day. I put a smidgeon of dettol in freshly boiled water, waited for it to cool a bit, and held a cotton bud soaked in it up to the bump. Don't burn yourself and actually maybe don't use the dettol at all if you've sensitive skin. It worked for me though. It went down as it healed. Just keep it clean and don't worry too much about it. If it still worries you, I'd go in to a piercing shop and ask their advice. They see this type of thing all the time.

ETA: oops, sorry, listen to !_Brian_!, he sounds like he knows more about this than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

Its unlikely the bump is a keloid. from your descritpion its a hypertrophic scar. If you have a ring in, try change to a bar at least 8 mill long.

Clean 2 - 3 times daily with 1/4 tea spoon of sea salt in a cup of boiled water. Soak a cotton wool ball in the soloution and hold to your ear for a bout 5 minutes. Replace wool to keep it as warm as possible. If after one week there is no improvment get some chamomile tea bags and brew them in a cup of boiled water. Use the tea bag in the same way you'd use a cotton wool ball.

If you stick to this and dont be at it, you should seem improvment in a week or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

!_Brian_! wrote: »
    Its unlikely the bump is a keloid. from your descritpion its a hypertrophic scar. If you have a ring in, try change to a bar at least 8 mill long.

Clean 2 - 3 times daily with 1/4 tea spoon of sea salt in a cup of boiled water. Soak a cotton wool ball in the soloution and hold to your ear for a bout 5 minutes. Replace wool to keep it as warm as possible. If after one week there is no improvment get some chamomile tea bags and brew them in a cup of boiled water. Use the tea bag in the same way you'd use a cotton wool ball.

If you stick to this and dont be at it, you should seem improvment in a week or 2.

YOu forgot to mention, let the water cool to room temp before using it...never heard of the chamomile tea thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 loconnor

I had the same problem with both of mine, I had them changed to labret studs and the problem went away almost immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 shannone

i had a stud for the first few months, also became a bit infected(not really healing properly I suppose) n that lump appeared. I found dat once I changed to a ring it healed faster! i would advise against dettol coz that agrivated my piercing more, salt wash all the way, its been a life saver for my latest piercing! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

Tragus piercings can take up to 9 months or so to heal..

Advertisement