Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same Aul Same Aul

Options
  • 05-11-2009 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭

Just wondering...

I'm 5"8 and 11st4lbs

I go the the gym 6 times a week...

Each day i seem to use the same machines for the same time...

Recumbent Bike for 45 mins then the cross trainer for 10 mins

I usually have 4 chicken goujons for lunch. I don't have a breakfast I just go straight to the gym and then in the evening I have whatevers going for dinner. Surely the weight should be flying off but in fact it's going up!? :confused:

Ps - I know my diet sucks and I'm probably undereating
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

Girls don't need to eat food.
    You answered your own question.
    Watch this thread go on for 7 pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Girls don't need to eat food.
    You answered your own question.
    Watch this thread go on for 7 pages.

I don't mean to be rude but I am genuinely looking for advice here. I don't go to the gym 6 days a week for the laugh in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    I don't mean to be rude but I am genuinely looking for advice here. I don't go to the gym 6 days a week for the laugh in fairness
    I don't mean to be rude either but you answered your own question.

I don't mean to be rude either but you answered your own question.

Where? I am asking what am I doing wrong??? How could undereating lead to weight gain :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Cheeky_gal have you read the stickys on this forum about diet etc? your diet does seem to be the main problem and the stickys have all the advice you need...but doing the same thing day in day out in the gym is no good either...for 6 days a week you should be varying your training quite a bit...

• Advertisement

Cheeky_gal have you read the stickys on this forum about diet etc? your diet does seem to be the main problem and the stickys have all the advice you need...but doing the same thing day in day out in the gym is no good either...for 6 days a week you should be varying your training quite a bit...

Yeah but the stickeys go on for ages, I don't mean to be a pain but there's a lot of things I'd love to know.

For instance - Is it best to have scrambled egg before the gym for breakfast then go to the gym? Or is it best to not have breakfast seen as your not hungry and just go straight to the gym?

I just don't eat because I'm not hungry so I don't get why I should force food into me! Having said that, how come I'm staying the same weight yet I'm doing all that exercise and eating buttons!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Yeah but the stickeys go on for ages, I don't mean to be a pain but there's a lot of things I'd love to know.

For instance - Is it best to have scrambled egg before the gym for breakfast then go to the gym? Or is it best to not have breakfast seen as your not hungry and just go straight to the gym?

I just don't eat because I'm not hungry so I don't get why I should force food into me! Having said that, how come I'm staying the same weight yet I'm doing all that exercise and eating buttons!!

Stickys.....seriously i cut 13kgs in 6-7 months this year and totally changed my diet..the stickys are written by people who seriously know what there on about read em and then ask some questions both the questions you asked about are answered in them...stop being lazy and read em! :D

also use something like fitday.com to track your food after a couple of days logging your current diet you will see how bad it is....after a couple of weeks using fitday you wont even need to log anymore you will get used to what nutrition is in your usual foods...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Cheeky_gal you've been here before, many times, and exhausted the good will of the Fitness forum. There are no questions you can ask that haven't been answered before or that can't be solved by reading the stickies.

That's part of your problem. Change is good. Try it sometime. What happened to the resistance training you used to do? And the rowing machine you bought?
    Cheeky_gal wrote:
    I usually have 4 chicken goujons for lunch. I don't have a breakfast I just go straight to the gym and then in the evening I have whatevers going for dinner. Surely the weight should be flying off but in fact it's going up!? :confused:

Yes, yes you are. You've been told this before.
    Yeah but the stickeys go on for ages
    You want advice but you want it in bullet-point easy to read form? Seriously?
    Cheeky_gal wrote:

Your body is a machine that needs fuel to function. When it functions well it burns what it needs and gets rid of the rest.

When you don't give it enough fuel it keeps everything you give it and refuses to let any go to waste.

Besides, 'weight' is relative, you could have increased your lean mass while decreasing your body fat which could make you heavier but slimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Just wondering...

I'm 5"8 and 11st4lbs

I go the the gym 6 times a week...

The stickies are long and boring but they kinda have what you need to know in them.

Condensed answer you're sorta looking for:

Girl up and do free weights. Free weights does not equal waggling your legs on the ab/adductor machines like loads of other women do it means squatting/deadlifting/overhead and bench press. Starting strength wiki is an awesome resource for starting out. Weights are really important tho. Lean muscle mass burns energy just to maintain itself. I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH THAT YOU WILL NOT MAGICALLY TURN INTO ARNIE/MADONNA OVERNIGHT. DO THE FREE WEIGHTS

Cardio should not be spinning your legs on the recumbant for 40 mins etc. Do different stuff.

Eat 6-7 small meals a day. Eat your breakfast, learn to love eggs or porridge in the morning. Lean meat and veg are yeah! (lean meat does not include breaded chicken ie goujons), pastas, white breads, white rice etc are booo!

Finally, if you want to lose weight it's more about your diet then the gym. What you eat will make you lose weight. The gym will just turn you into a fit and sexy looking laydee.

Best of luck.

g'em wrote: »
    Cheeky_gal you've been here before, many times, and exhausted the good will of the Fitness forum.

Ah come on now, I'm asking a question which I couldn't find in the stickies. I had a browse and it it says "energy input = energy output" unless you're wanting to lose weight then energy input < energy output yeh? But what if I'm genuinely just not hungry to have 6 small meals a day? And also, if say for instance having scrambled egg before going to the gym in the mornings means that I'll lose more weight than not having scrambled eggs in the mornings then I'll force myself to have it, but I'm trying to ask the question...IS THAT NECESSARY? :)
    What happened to the resistance training you used to do? And the rowing machine you bought?

I use my rower at night when the gym is closed. Believe me I actually workout A HELL OF A LOT. And the resistance training I still do but not to the extent that I used to do it. For instance this morning I went to the gym the minute I woke up without having breakfast, I did 45 mins on the recumbent bike at a low intensity, cross trainer for 10 tens at a low intensity and a fast paced walk/jog on the treadmill for 15 mins. I'd love to be lifting weights but tbh the gym i'm in...well upstairs seems to be mainly for men and that's the area where all the weights are... that may sound like a cop out but tbh I'm actually kinda shy about going up there..it's literally ALL men!!
    Your body is a machine that needs fuel to function. When it functions well it burns what it needs and gets rid of the rest.

Thats exactly my point, should I be "forcing" myself to eat? I will if it means better results but I didn't think it would result in better results.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

IS THAT NECESSARY? :)
    Yes. Eat breakfast before going to the gym. Figure out what your calorie needs are for the day (see stickies) and eat that much food.
    Cheeky_gal wrote:
    For instance this morning I went to the gym the minute I woke up without having breakfast, I did 45 mins on the recumbent bike at a low intensity, cross trainer for 10 tens at a low intensity and a fast paced walk/jog on the treadmill for 15 mins.
    LIT isn't working for you then. Try intervals.
    Cheeky_gal wrote:
    I'd love to be lifting weights but tbh the gym i'm in...well upstairs seems to be mainly for men and that's the area where all the weights are... that may sound like a cop out but tbh I'm actually kinda shy about going up there..it's literally ALL men!!
    My gym has about 400 members. Of that there are 5 women. It's a major cop out. You pay your fees like anyone else, use the facilities available. You've been to a personal trainer, use the info they gave you.
    Cheeky_gal wrote:
    Thats exactly my point, should I be "forcing" myself to eat? I will if it means better results but I didn't think it would result in better results.
    your body needs food, it doesn't like to starve. Google 'Maintenance calories' for more info.

Girl up and do free weights.

As I explained to g'em the gym which I'm in has the weights on the second floor and it's normally taken over by men so it's extremley intimidating :o
    Eat your breakfast
    Was under the impression that it's best to go STRAIGHT to the gym in the morning so it'll burn into the fat? [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

Yes you should be eating breakfast. Your body hasnt consumed food for about 8 hours when you wake. It will start storing fat unless you "break" the "fast". Eat a good breakfast, porridge, eggs, meusli, not cereals.

Chicken goujons are crap tbh, why not have some chicken breast and brown rice with some veg (brocolli, carrots). It wont take that much effort to make and put in a lunch box, and will be better and tastier.

Whatever's going for dinner? What does that entail?
    Dinner should again be full of veg, protein and some complex carbs.
    Snack on nuts and some fruit.

Get back into the weights section, it sounds like you've been doing the same workout all the time, and don't break out from your comfort zone.
    As G'em said, change is good.
    Us guys really dont mind if a girl walks into the weights section, its all in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

As I explained to g'em the gym which I'm in has the weights on the second floor and it's normally taken over by men so it's extremley intimidating :o

How do you think the men feel walking onto the floor the first time surrounded by massive blokes? It's just as intimidating for us up to the point that..... no one actually cares :D

Do weights. They're awesome.

How do you think the men feel walking onto the floor the first time surrounded by massive blokes? It's just as intimidating for us up to the point that..... no one actually cares :D

Do weights. They're awesome.

I've a bench press in the garage. The bar itself weighs 10kg. If I put a 5kg on either end and do 3 sets of 12 pull ups would that be doing well? Whatever you recommend I'll try and do

The embarrassment of me doing 15kg pull ups beside men doing like 80 lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Blackie93

The four chicken goujons for lunch can be helping...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The embarrassment of me doing 15kg pull ups beside men doing like 80 lol

The weight you lift is of no interest to anyone else in the gym. The reality is people lifting heavy weights started on light ones and are training for different results than you are.

As regards your diet, you don't think you can eat more often as your not hungry.

Well if you eat your breakfast every day for a week you will wake up wanting to eat.

If you eat regular and good food you will have no problem eating as you body will want the food.
    Training properly will again help you want food more often.

The food you eat needs to be the type of foods already outlined already. That way your calorie intake will be low enough to help you lose wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

cheeky_gal - you shouldnt skip breakfast! but I wouldnt see a prob going to gym before breakfast as long as you feel ok and eat soon afterwards ... Other posters may say your metabolism has slowed down etc etc but in reality if you are gaining weight then you are probably taking in excess calories, which could be easy to do with foods like chicken goujons, even if it might look like you are not consuming huge quantities ... maybe you should open a fit day account?

corkcomp wrote: »
    maybe you should open a fit day account?

The drifter recommended that yesterday so I opened one last night, thanks :)

I ran up to the shop and made myself a nice chicken and vegetable stir fry for dinner :) I'll give having scrambled eggs tomorrow morning a shot also thanks :)

Advertisement