Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EASY DOES IT

Options
  • 05-11-2009 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

After breaking 3 hours in Berlin and pacing 3.30 in Dublin I stepped up on the scales this am. Up 1 stone in 7 weeks. Mental I says to myself having ran two marathons in the meantime. I found myself eating whatever i wanted. Rather than 1 scone I would get 3. Have a real addiction for currant bread, soda or whatever. End up feeling really yeasty.

Gave up the cigarettes again 3 days ago for the 50th time. Seem to always go back on them the day I run the marathon.

Plan to do an easy month of little hard runs. Plenty of easy miles.
    Booked berlin in september(accom and flights and will do another one in April(London ?? or Rotterdam)

Today
    11 miles at 7.40 pace at lunchtime
    6.5 miles at 8 min mile pace tonight. Mad but I had promised a lad and i forgot.

Aim get fitter over the winter and leaner
    Aim nxt year is to go sub 2.50
    Break the hour for 10 miles
    28.30 for 5 miles...........Get to 12st 7ibs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Best of luck with log and your goals Village Runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

You are a sub 3 marathoner and you smoke!! I might take it up. Seriously though, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Easy does it...my ar$e..once you get motoring there will be no stopping ya.

Here's to another good year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Nice to see all the sub3 logs morphing into 2'50 logs ;)
    Best of luck with your goals

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Village Runner I will be keeping an eye on this log, both going for sub 2.50, should be good to see how our training compares. Good luck with the log.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Best of luck with the new log and training VR,you aimed for sub 3 and achieved it...no reason why you wont achieve your new targets !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

will do another one in April(London ?? or Rotterdam)

Whilst I'd love to have the company of plenty of boardsies aiming for London, unfortunately you've missed the closing date. They close applications very early - think it was end-July, 9 months before raceday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Best of luck - ambitious targets but no better man for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Peckham wrote: »
    Whilst I'd love to have the company of plenty of boardsies aiming for London, unfortunately you've missed the closing date. They close applications very early - think it was end-July, 9 months before raceday!

Cousin said he can get me a number. Time will tell. I will do a marathon somewhere. He lives in London so it would be ideal. He is a man of his word so who am i too doubt him.

Best of luck - ambitious targets but no better man for them!

What would 2.53 look like.
    I like to be disappointed. Sub 2.55 first attempts and then do a 2.49 in Berlin.
    If i am ever asked what time i will do i always say my best time possible so when i finished and didnt do it will motivate to train even harder(10 milers etc)
    Need to really look at my nutrion. I do the shopping so i have no excuses. I eat everything so should have no excuses. I tend to lose 7ibs every marathon but have decided to have a go at 1 stone this time and hit hte line at 12st 7ib. If i can do that I will give 2.50 one hell of a shot.
    4 days of the ciggies.

Today
    7.75 miles @ 8 min miles
    30 min weights session.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭wizwill

best of luck VR, i look forward to keeping tabs on your progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

No better man to break 2:50 Looking forward to getting some serious sessions in after christmas. Our track sessions were the best of the summer. I'll beat you in lisburn this time though :D.

asimonov wrote: »
    No better man to break 2:50 Looking forward to getting some serious sessions in after christmas. Our track sessions were the best of the summer. I'll beat you in lisburn this time though :D.

The only thing you will get easy of me is the 40 i owe you.
    Lisburn, you will have to be going very well. Yes next month i am getting back into it.
    Easy 45-50 a week in the mean time.
    There is a 5 mile race in Dungarvan based on WEIGHT so i reckon i would have a chance. Would mean missing novice but Xcountry aint for me.

Today
    With the weather i decided on threadmill running.
    1 mile at 8 min mile
    7 miles @ 6.55(fastest i ran since berlin over 3 miles.)
    I feel i am heading in the right direction. Get to 13st by xmas day.

So Lisburn is definately on again...;)

Cousin said he can get me a number. Time will tell. I will do a marathon somewhere. He lives in London so it would be ideal. He is a man of his word so who am i too doubt him.

Cool, I'm in the Good For Age starting pen, so if you're getting into this that will give me someone to chat to and warm up with! They have loads of different pens at the start - would imagine it's tough to get a good time if you're not in one of the front pens (Think the pens go in this order - 1) elite, 2) championship, 3) Good for age, 4) Celebrities, 5) General entries

Peckham wrote: »
    Cool, I'm in the Good For Age starting pen, so if you're getting into this that will give me someone to chat to and warm up with! They have loads of different pens at the start - would imagine it's tough to get a good time if you're not in one of the front pens (Think the pens go in this order - 1) elite, 2) championship, 3) Good for age, 4) Celebrities, 5) General entries

I thought good for age is for uk residents only ??
    Are you a definite if you do the time ??? Very interesting.......

They are three starting points in different areas and they all come together after 3 miles.
    What time are you hoping to do ?
    He might not get me in yet so time will tell.
    I would jump up to the front by hook or crook. This year in Berlin i was 90 seconds behind at hte start.
    The good for age go behind the celebrities at hte start. Makes no sense.

ike wrote: »
    So Lisburn is definately on again...;)

He will be looking at my cute little A** all the way again in Lisburn. If he breaks 80 min he will need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

He will be looking at my cute little A** all the way again in Lisburn. If he breaks 80 min he will need it.

I won't mind looking at it for the first 13 miles, I'll be on my own after that though ;-)

Sunday
    8 miles @ 8 min miles
    2000m Rowing machine 8 minutes
    25 min cycle 10.5km
    20 minutes Leg weights(calf raises, squats, curls etc)

Monday
    10 miles @ 7.58 per mile. Went with one of the lads from work. Was lashing but it was nice to have a training partner.
    Only off the ciggies 6 day and already feel that 8 min mile pace is easy. Easy till the end of November and might step it up.

Still 18 miles done in 2 days so not too bad at all. Aim is to do 50 a week till end of november and get the real hunger back. Thats the plan anyway. If it menas i dont get to 50 thats ok. After 2 days of eating rubbish today was better. Time will tell. If i want to do 2.49 thats what i have to do.

I thought good for age is for uk residents only ??
    Are you a definite if you do the time ??? Very interesting.......

They are three starting points in different areas and they all come together after 3 miles.
    What time are you hoping to do ?
    He might not get me in yet so time will tell.
    I would jump up to the front by hook or crook. This year in Berlin i was 90 seconds behind at hte start.
    The good for age go behind the celebrities at hte start. Makes no sense.

Yeah, you get in for definite if you have evidence of going under 3:01 (and you need a UK address ;)). As always, the qualification time for females is a bit more generous - I've a friend running in the Championship section based on a 3:12 from last year. Think GFA for females is up to 3:30.

Think GFA used to go behind the celebrities, but that's been changed now (or so I've heard) following (understandable) complaints.

• Advertisement

8.2 miles today @ 7.59
    Had to speed up the last mile to get in under 8 min a mile. Enjoying my running again and 7 days off the ciggies. might have worms though as i cant stop eating.

Was asked to run in county vnovice xcountry. I hate the xcountry but was going to do to people please but fcuk it look after yourself. I plan to do the 5 miler in dungarvan instead.

Went with a mate from work. 5 miles easy at 8 min a mile.
    3 miles on the threadmill at 730 a mile. Felt harder than it should. 7 days in a row training.
    Keeping the miles easy till the end of november. Will race sunday but i know i am in poor shape so will be lucky to break 31 for 5 miles. Considering i want to break 60 min for 10 miles i have a few hard months ahead of me.
    Started really looking at what i am eating now.

Village runner you seem to be doing alot of your easy runs around 8 min/mile, is this the pace you would be doing your easy runs during your marathon programme.

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Village runner you seem to be doing alot of your easy runs around 8 min/mile, is this the pace you would be doing your easy runs during your marathon programme.

For my sub 3 mararthon i was known to run even at 8.40 a mile. I would have run 75% of my runs at 8 min a mile. My thinking was that i dont recover well after hard sessions so why flog the horse. This ways i always ran my tempo/intervals very well. I ran alot of my long ones at 8 min miles but this was after 3.5 hours sleep due to work. This helped me believe it or not in the marathon. I was used to running tired. 3 of my long ones were run quicker. 1 @ marathon pace , 1 (7 miles at 7.50, 6 miles @7.20, 7 miles at 6.45) and 1 (10 miles at 8 min miles and 10 miles at 7.10)

What i am really saying is that i got in quality long runs, regular marathon paced runs, good tempos intervals and races.

My sub 2,50 attempt will change. The 8 will be 7.30.
    My aversge miles are to go upto 70 a week. Thats up 50 per cent. Put a 40 miler on hte bike on that and 2.50 will be realistic. Hope to have a mentor in place by nxt week. If i wont lose the weight for myself i will lose it for him.

Track session with Asimonov and ike. 8th day in a row. Really felt tired although intensity wasnt tough.
    6 x 1 mile with 400 m recovery. Average 6.25.
    Last 2 were alot quicker.
    1.5 warm up 1 warm down.
    Since sunday i have run 44 miles.

6 more and you have your 50 covered, good session you looked a bit tired on the last mile, but another couple of weeks and you'll adjust...don't forget you have a few lbs to lose...

ike wrote: »
    6 more and you have your 50 covered, good session you looked a bit tired on the last mile, but another couple of weeks and you'll adjust...don't forget you have a few lbs to lose...

Thats the plan.
    Def feel that i am carrying it. But i had a great 7 weeks after berlin. And i deserved them.
    Will be lucky to break 31 sunday. But that will discipline me till xmas. 2 ibs a week.

Fair play to you doing long runs after 3 1/2hours sleep, I find it hard after 8hours sleep. 70 miles a week is alot of running, I won't be running that much myself, I'll probably peak around 65 but the average will be be high 40s to low 50s. It will be good to see how the mentor helps you out.

Anyway made it 50 miles this week. Dont know what i ran last week but it wasnt far off 50. Over 3 days i ran 37 so i assume i ran two other days.

Today 6 miles @ 7.06. It felt a tough pace. Breathing was comfy(3/10) but legs seem to be a 9/10. Even last nights session was tough when it should have been a doddle.
    No runnin tomorrow. Might do an easy 3 hours on the bike.

• Advertisement

25 miles on the bike this am. I bought a bit of gear in aldi but i need a pair of overshoes. Despite thick socks my toes were numb.

Average 15.8 mph which was handy enough. Want to get two bike rides a week in over the winter. Either two longish or one hard one 1 hour and one 3 hour one.

Advertisement