Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EASY DOES IT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Have you anyone going to Rotterdam with you that aint doing it ? Would be nice to to hand you a drink and bar. Missed that last year. Dublin was class for gels and energy drinks.
    Get the long ones in early.

At the mo have no one heading to Rotterdam. Some ifs, and or buts but no definates so il be heading be myself id say.

Won't say no to a free pint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

village runner just catching up on your log, you have certainly cranked things up a notch, fair play to you, puts my log to shame:D. How are the legs coping with the extra mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

heffsarmy wrote: »
    village runner just catching up on your log, you have certainly cranked things up a notch, fair play to you, puts my log to shame:D. How are the legs coping with the extra mileage.

Heffs,
    Legs are good. Stronger by the week. Off the ciggies 4 weeks today but i have xmas in my head. But i am thinking hour for the 10 miler. A little away at the moment. Food intake is killing me. Feast or a famine.

Today
    Made the gym again.
    2 mile warm up at 8 min mile pace.
    14 x half mile @ 6 min mile pace with a 90 second recovery for the first 6 and going down to 60 secons for the last 6. Finshed the session with 12 miles in a hurry as the loo was calling.
    Wasnt an out and out tough session but i got the pace in for 7 miles without feeling i was racing. So i will do another similar one thursday.
    One of the lads wants to race 3 miles sat so after 200 miles in 3 weeks i wont be up to much but i will give it ago. Do me no harm.

ULstudent wrote: »
    At the mo have no one heading to Rotterdam. Some ifs, and or buts but no definates so il be heading be myself id say.

Won't say no to a free pint!

Bound to be one of the boardies partners going. If they are meeting it would be ideal to give them some supplies. I found it great in Berlin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

I notice you're also on the treadmill for your speed sessions. Do you feel you're getting the same benefit as doing them on track/road?

Last night I did 5x1000 (doing each in 3:35, with 2mins recovery) at 1.5% incline. Would really struggle doing that outdoors, but felt easier on treadmill. It definitely makes the session feel easier (despite HR hitting 99% max at one point during the final interval!), so am wondering if I'm getting the same V02 Max benefits.

What are your thoughts? Will you switch back to track/road during marathon training proper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

My two cents worth Peckham... your workout 5 x 1000 will obviously be tougher outdoors, but what you did was still tough on the treadie, and at least you got to do it, whereas the weather outside probably stopped you doing that. After reading Tunguska's log my min incline is now 2%. If you do a tough session, even slow, at a 10% incline though, when you run 2% faster its like running downhill...

Peckham wrote: »
    I notice you're also on the treadmill for your speed sessions. Do you feel you're getting the same benefit as doing them on track/road?

Last night I did 5x1000 (doing each in 3:35, with 2mins recovery) at 1.5% incline. Would really struggle doing that outdoors, but felt easier on treadmill. It definitely makes the session feel easier (despite HR hitting 99% max at one point during the final interval!), so am wondering if I'm getting the same V02 Max benefits.

What are your thoughts? Will you switch back to track/road during marathon training proper?

In fairness mine was at 0% so it was handy. More of a stamina session.
    Def go outside when weather gets better and asimonov recovers from Florence. I struggle on my own. I find it easier with a partner.
    By Feb i will be cranking up the miles and speed. Touch wood i stay injury free shed a stone and 2.49 might not be nuts after all.

Slogger has a point re putting up the incline. Can do no harm. Maybe tomorrow !!!

Tonight 10 miles @ 7.35 with the last 2 miles at sub 7 min. felt strong. One of the last kicked on. a couple of us left him go and reeled him in hte last few miles. Average heart rate was 135.
    Tomorrow plan is to a speed session of some description. see how i feel.

today i was in the gym again. With the increase in mileage i dont want to push to much so i did 2 miles warm up 20 x 1 min hard and 20 x 1 min early. Ran at roughly 5.15 pace with the last one at 4.50 pace. When its only a min oyu are able to churn them out.
    I feel i am heading in hte right direction but the nxt 4 weeks will tell alot.

Today was a handy 8.3 miles after work @ 7.55 pace.

Will take off running tomorrow so the last 5 weeks training goes like this.

Might do another 70 nxt week with a handy 50 the week after.
    Would have liked to have done a tempo this week but the fartlek sessions might be better in the interim.

Took off sat.
    Ate a big bowel of porridge 30 min before the sunday long run.
    Disaster after that as i only done 10 miles @ 8.15 a mile. Lesson learn and a banana will be the call of the day in future.

Disaster of a weekend. After eating so well all week i really went to town friday sat and sunday and even indulged in the dreaded fags. Giving up is ok staying off is another thing.

Monday I was to go with another runner and he told me my tempo was too quick. So i decided to go on hte threadmill. 2 miles on the threadmill warm up. 9 miles at 6.10 pace. Sounds quick but it felt more like 6.20 pace as it was not on an incline. Put it up to 22km for the last quarter mile. Got a few stares. Pressing the pause button proved to be difficult.

Overview of the month seems to be the usual.
    Plenty of motivation/ stamina
    Lack of disciplin/speed in line with my training.
    Believe it or not I will join WW again after xmas if i dont get it sorted. I know i can run sub 2.50 at the right weight. The way i am going i will be lucky to break 3 again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

i wouldn't get too disheartened VR, you only have to run sub 2:50 on one day in april. you've a long time to build to it. we'll start putting some sessions together from next week.

Theres plenty of time left to get things in order, its the silly season and having a bad weekend ain't the end of the world, just keep training and sub2.50 will be a doddle ;). What pace were you running your tempos?

Heff,
    I was doing them at 6.20 pace.............What should i do the temps at now ??

Today 7 miles with 3 miles @ 6 min a mile. Average 7 min miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Thats some amount of running VR, especially the treadmill sessions - you must have some mental power to keep going like that! I wouldnt cut myself up too much about weight or eating either - if you're anything like me (and a lot of other runners i know), you're probably not eating enough.

village runner I would'nt be in a postion to tell you, but I plan to do my tempo runs around 6.05min/mile give or take 5secs, I would'nt have thought 6.20 would be too quick. Go on how you feel yourself.

Wednesday
    6.5 miles @ 8.40 mile pace. After having a few ciggies before the run I wasnt in hte humour. Another cig after it to really sort out the lungs. Sprinted for 100 metres twice and was left by two lads I would take 8 days of the week.

Thursday
    5 or 6 ciggies before a speed session. Very intelligent.
    2 mile warm up
    3 miles @ 2% incline @ 6 min mile pace. Made work very hard for this. Calves were burning so i did something right.
    3 mile warm down

from now on its a 2% incline for all hard runs. When asimonov returns to action i will go back outside to hte track.

I got the idea of the incline from Tungskas log so thanks for that. also Slogger mentioned it as well. I was doing it on hte threadmill and it felt too easy it seemed downhill.

Heading to old trafford in hte morning but as a non drinker the first thing i look for is a gym in hte hotel. Might even get a long one done in liverpool. When we hit the town tomorrow night in liverpool we will be pool fans(sick or what) as if i said i was a manc i might get a smack.
    I cant stop myself running fast this week.
    Thats 15 miles at 6.10 or below this week. Should stand to me down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You wont be doing yourself any favours targeting 2:50 with a few cigarettes beforehand. Enjoy the next few weeks (no point making a half-arsed attempt to quit), and give them up properly from the new year. Great running otherwise. What's your 10k time like? With a tempo pace like that, it must be pretty impressive.

You wont be doing yourself any favours targeting 2:50 with a few cigarettes beforehand. Enjoy the next few weeks (no point making a half-arsed attempt to quit), and give them up properly from the new year. Great running otherwise. What's your 10k time like? With a tempo pace like that, it must be pretty impressive.

10km time i dont know. Ran 37.52 in may but i have come on i reckon since that.
    Want to run a 4 mile in clonmel stephens day but smoking i wont break 23.30.

Friday Off
    Sat 8 miles with 5k in 18.20 and mile in 5.50.......10 min hard rowing and 15 min on hte bike.
    Sunday Tired after the week but 10 miles at 8 mn mile pace. Started at 7am on icy roads i wasnt chancing any faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

10km time i dont know. Ran 37.52 in may but i have come on i reckon since that.
    Want to run a 4 mile in clonmel stephens day but smoking i wont break 23.30.

Friday Off
    Sat 8 miles with 5k in 18.20 and mile in 5.50.......10 min hard rowing and 15 min on hte bike.
    Sunday Tired after the week but 10 miles at 8 mn mile pace. Started at 7am on icy roads i wasnt chancing any faster.

Hey VR I hate to be the ex-smoker preaching from the soap box but have you tried Allan Carrs book?(no not the camp lad on channel 4). It worked for me all those years ago, might be worth a shot. Although Like somebody said already, wouldnt even bother trying before christmas. Make it your new years resolution and nail it then. But give that book a shot, no gimmicks, no patches just basic common sense. Sorry again for the ex-smoker sermon but I think you could really do some damage in races. Cigarettes + racing do not mix though. Just think about how much faster you'd be and how much more endurance you'd have witout the smokes. Let me tell you the difference is colossal. You already dont drink so with the smokes gone you'd be running machine.

I am odd as befeiced when it comes to doing things.
    Gave them up again today. I work a few hours in a bar and it will be difficult over xmas but if i can get over a few nights i will be sorted. My two little girls have asthma so if i wont give them a miss for myself maybe i can do it for them.
    Diet is appalling again.
    So much rubbish in work. If i get hte taste early the day is a write off. What i have to do is make sure the treat is late in hte evening.

Today
    20 minutes rowing(4 x 20 min sessions planned weekly) upper body strength has to improve.
    10 miles in 76 minutes.
    10 min core workout.

Hope to do a fast few tomorrow and a long one thursday with a bit of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

fags & food - how hard to pass!

Thankfully still off the fags from August - still on the nicorette alright but wouldn't say that I'll never smoke again. Nothing like a guilt free nicorette just after a run.
    Food is a different problem though. There were mince pies in work today - I had 4. Came home and ate 1 & 1/2 dinners followed by a jammy dodger. Waiting now to leave a bit of decent time before I get another mince pie followed by an apple dumpling with a nice mug of tea!
    Don't run anywhere near your times or distances though

Wednesday
    took it off. Left work at 4 to go to the gym. Didnt bother. Was going to go later b4 work but ate too much rubbish.

Today
    Cornflakes for breakie, scone and 2 digestives with butter and jam at tea break. Skipped lunch as was busy but had 2 very thick slices of biscuits caKE with fresh cream at 4pm. Ideal pre workout snack.

30 min rowing(most i ever done) Average 2.23 per 500. Not racing but i just want to log it so i can go back on it.
    10 miles in 72.30. Felt easy. Getting very lazy but this is a tiredness from cigarettes when all you want to do is sit down and sleep.

Dinner at 10pm. Roast beef spuds veg and the dreaded gravy.
    Believe it or not my best daily intake since saturday.
    Always tomorrow.

10 miles in 72 on the threadmill. Too cold and icey to go outside.

Later that evening 30 min on the rower @ 2.14 per 500. 5 min on the crosstrainer.
    Good days training. I was going to do another 5 miles but best left for tomorrow. Booked in for a rub down nxt year. Need one with alot of miles done since my rub down.

12 miles at 7.35 a mile. Had planned a long one but due to late night and 20 cigs it wasnt to be.
    Weight down to 13st 7ibs which was a little boost. Would love to be under 13st for dungarvan for a crack at the hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Thats a decent clip to be going at with 20 fags in you from last night. You're way beyond the point of will I/won't I- GIVE THEM UP! Your times aren't going to improve until you do, you know that yourself. Until then, reading this log is like watching a death by a thousand cuts.

Obviously, this is advice from an ex-smoker;)

[quote=donothoponpop;6357701 Until then, reading this log is like watching a death by a thousand cuts.

Obviously, this is advice from an ex-smoker;)[/quote]

Feel exactly like that. Wasting my time. I hate them yet i still always go back on them. Today i bought patches. I want to run race on sat so at least if i was off them 5 days i would be over the worst. It aint a priority race but i need to blow the cob webs away.

Today was a handy 11 miles @ 7.50 pace. Still hope to get back up to 70 again this week so the race aint priority. 23.30 min do do this week. I want to get a bit of speed in my legs for my prep race mallow on jan 10th.
    No fast work last 7 days so want to get a fast 5 miles in early in the week. No cigarettes might help. This time i mean business.

Lunchtime
    10 miles with 3 x 2 miles at 5.39 per mile with 150 seconds recovery. Easier than on road but with the ice around i wont chance running on hte road until it clears. 8 days since a road run.

pm 9 miles at 7.40 a mile.

30 miles and its only monday.
    Put it down to no cigs. The drive is there without them. It aint there with them.

Delighted with todays session. Sign of a good year ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

Fair play for getting out twice for two good runs in these conditions!

Peckham wrote: »
    Fair play for getting out twice for two good runs in these conditions!

Unfortunately both were on the threadmill. No point in risking anything stupid. With 16 weeks to go i dont want to chance anything stupid.

Today 8 miles @ 7.24 pace on the threadmill. Was harder than it should have been. Tomorrow i hope to do a long one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

30 miles and its only monday.
    Put it down to no cigs. The drive is there without them. It aint there with them.

So true VR. Its all about momentum. If youre smoking something just keels over and gives up inside with regards to training. But when youre not smoking the momentum is completely different. Same goes for junk food I find.
    Youre doing well VR, keep up that positive momentum.

Advertisement